Boarding School Anyone? - Page 9 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #81 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summergirl73 View Post
May the poster have ears to hear and a heart open to growth. I believe if ego were removed from this situation than true growth could happen. Sadly at this point I fear that Emme will be the one to suffer because of such foolishness. Pathetic.
Exactly. I think ego is running rampant here. Both that of the poster and this trainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #82 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
I just can't help coming back to this post. It stays on my mind so much! In addition to what I've already voiced my opinion about, I also keep wondering other things about her care. Is she getting the right kind of food & water? Is her hair being kept brushed and clean? Is anyone washing her little face? I just keep imagining that this guy is used to big, dark colored dogs and may not think of those things or just think of them as a luxury. I hope she doesn't come home all matted and tear stained in addition to my praying that she does come home and nothing horrible has happened to her.
I worry about this too... But not so much grooming as general health. A maltese puppy at this age is much more fragile than a large breed ..or even a small breed. This is a toy breed...totally different class.

I worry she is cold

I worry she isn't being fed often enough

Or that.... she's being left alone for long periods as a training method.

This owner and trainer don't know anything about the breed. Maltese are, by nature, people pleasers. They are the very definition of a companion dog.

Carina, your post was beautiful...and I'm so sad that Emme will not get a trusting bond with anyone

Grace is not perfect.... Gus is kind of freakishly perfect LOL But Grace is not perfect by any means. She at times frustrates me....

HOWEVER.... There is just something no words can describe about the moment that I see in her little eyes that she "gets" something new we are working on. Just that flicker of happiness like, "I got it Mom!" .... I would never want to miss that.... because in that moment we grow closer. And if someone else did that, I'd never have Grace's trust and that connection.

And learning should be fun. Sure we get annoyed sometimes....but it's just like children. Would you send your child off to a boarding school to be physically punished and terrorized into learning?

Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippersmom View Post
Marisa really could train a puppy in 5 weeks with POSITIVE training Have you watched her videos of Obi. He is absolutely amazing!!!!!!! It just makes me cry thinking of what poor little Emme is going thru. It breaks me heart.

Yes! Obi is awesome

Many well trained fluffs on this site! And all of them using positive methods.

No they aren't perfect but they are very well trained and full of so much happiness. In the videos of those little ones they look so happy and excited to be doing things they are asked

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Old 12-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #83 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

And another thought just landed in my head

She is only 12 weeks. No where NEAR fully vaccinated.

Sigh.

The "trainer" didn't even answer one comment about questioning the choke collar on her. Just ignored it.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #84 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kandis
Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny Maltese

So young and tiny at 12 weeks!! I can't but help think this is case of dumping the initial training/house breaking onto someone else. I guess not all owners feel the need to experience the initial owner/pet bonding period that is so special and will be lost when Emme returns home.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #85 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

If Emme is only 12 weeks, then how long has the owner even had her. Little Emme will think this trainer is her new Mommy and that her new life will be spent "training" instead of just being loved. She must wonder why she was "dumped" here. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I feel that its kind of like sending her off for someone else to do the training you can't be bothered with.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #86 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Is she only 12 weeks??? For some reason I thought she was 5 months, but maybe I was seeing the "5 week training." For those of you who have had Malt puppies--does she look like 12 weeks? If she's really only 12 weeks old...well...I have no words. Just a horrible feeling in my chest. I think it's my heart breaking for the little thing.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #87 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

If any of the Rep Breeders I know saw that photo only of Emme they would demand she be returned. The byb's I knew could care less.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #88 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

He takes them as early as 8 WEEKS old.....yikes...Emme is YOUNG, not 5 mo old IMO from that picture. She didn't wait for the bad behaviors to develop with this one. if she is not from a rep show breeder, most are bought at 8 weeks old or sooner.

Last edited by SammieMom; 12-08-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #89 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Just saw the FB postings by the "trainer." This is not a stuffed animal, this is our newest 5 week board and train dog who came to us without knowing a thing, and will leave a fully trained dog and With just 10 minutes to grab a quick lunch, I grab Emme and put her in Place while I prepare, eat and clean up my meal. Turn every opportunity of your day to make a great training opportunity, your dog is always learning, give them lots of great information and repetition to learn what you want them to do and not what they always want to do.
Kind of makes me ill. Emme didn't know a thing? Really? Within about an hour of getting Tyler he had already learned to sit. Another 5 minutes, lie down. Took on heal by himself. I don't even like the reference to "grabbing Emme" and I feel that trainer really means, Emme's put "in her place." When I get a meal and sit an eat it, my dog doesn't beg or bother me. He just lies under the table or in the room next door. I just didn't give scraps of human food. Gee, didn't take a prong collar to do any of that. I guess we have different ways of loving and teaching our dogs. I'll take Victoria Stillwell any day. To me you can't send away your family.
Good Post! Thanks for posting what he said on FB. Shoot, on day one, I taught penny to sit/lay down with cheerios in 5 minutes. I guess he thinks all small dogs beg for food too. Mine have never begged. Sammie has his fear issues with big dogs from being snatched as a puppy but he is so much better now, I saw it on trip to HH.

I guess I better move on.....

Last edited by SammieMom; 12-08-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #90 (permalink)

I can see that pleading with this owner isn't going to help this poor dog.

Last edited by summer; 12-08-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread