training advice please.. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean
Default training advice please..

Anyone with input feel free...

Ok so I started out with Rocky. When it was just Rocky (and Daddy) and I, I would have little training sessions daily with Rocky. Lunch, I normally have about ten minutes to spend going over whatever command or series of commands we were working on at the time.

I use the clicker, to make the dog understand (pinpoint the exact action exactly when it happens) what I want, and treats to reinforce. Once they realize what I'm looking for, I put the clicker away. Rocky did great.

Then, along came Tucker.

My training fails, and I know why. I need to work with Tucker (my little prince terror) on his own. He never had one on one training so when I have them together and try to get them to do things......

Rocky does it right, I try to give Rocky a treat, Tucker bounces in front of Rocky's face. I get then rocky gets anxious and starts lunging for his rewards.

So now I have Tucker always trying to throw himself in front of Rocky and both dogs lunging out of whatever position to try and grab treats from my hand instead of waiting patiently for them (like Rocky use to do). And clicker with both dogs at once? Yea ... not working.

I'm thinking lunchtime needs to be used for more of a group activity, like fetch-or, as Tucker likes to turn it into, keep away.

I'm pretty sure I need to single Tucker out. He drives me completely insane because durring training he WILL NOT SIT STILL! I don't know what to do, do I stand there and look off to the side, ignore him till he sits still? Do I keep giving the sit command but not give him the treat until he sits patiently? Oh and I tried that today and as soon as he ate it he started scowering all over the floor to see if I dropped one. I hate that.

What do I do to get him to stop the fidgeting? I want him to do as asked and sit there and wait patiently for the next thing-Rocky does that. Even when I single Tucker out, he does not do it, and I'm not sure what to do.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Shelly, can you take Tucker into a room with just you and him to work on training. I took Kelly to class because i was having a hard time with her, but she was a retired show dog and they aren't taught to sit because they aren't allowed to sit. I took her in my room for training and she was doing great, it did take some time but she can sit and do other things. The one thing i did was take enough cookies with me to give to each pup when Kelly and i came out of the room, i had them sit stay and they didn't mind so much because they knew they were getting a cookie out of the deal. HTH
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I'd divide and conquer

I train Gus and Grace separate, and then if they are still doing well (not bored or antsy) I will do a few things together that both are already comfortable with.

Each time we can do more together.... but for focus purposes - I always do solo training sessions.

And they don't have to be long. I can't stand or sit for more than 15 minutes before needing a rest so usually we do 5 minutes each a few times a day

At dinner (when people are eating) we practice our long "down stays" with them in their beds. They know they have to stay in their bed while we eat and wait to be released.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Thanks guys, I can work with him in a different room, and I will do it because I think it's the only way I can work out our issues. Any suggestions for making him less of a wiggle butt? I want him to sit, when I say sit and then wait, he sits for a couple seconds then twitches or bounces or moves or flops down into a down, he's very squirmy and antsy.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I would treat sit and stay as separate commands. Well, they ARE separate commands. If he sits even for the few seconds it takes you to give him a treat, he is sitting.

The command I would work on is stay. I would also walk him right before training so he's not in 'go go go' mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

I totally agree with the others-- you will need to start from square one with Tucker all by himself. The training should initially be one on one and then more advanced stages can be with him and Rocky together.

If you're using a clicker, "re-load" the clicker getting him used to what it means. Then, you can start with marking/rewarding his "sit" even if it's brief. THEN, increase the time for the command- ie. he will have to sit longer until you present the click/treat.

It also helps to know what motivates your dog- I use treats or playtime as training rewards-- it depends on Obi's mood

Stay is a separate command. For instance, you can have a dog "stay" in any position- doesn't have to be sitting. Work on one command at a time. if you do too many things at once, YOU and the dog will both become frustrated. Hope this helps!

Be patient- I remember when I first got Obi, he was a little freaked out when I was trying to teach him to sit! It was not easy!

Last edited by hoaloha; 12-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement