Should I take the training session or wait it out? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Max, Buddy and Bunnie; Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

I think it is a good idea to try one class with the professional if you can. The price seems very reasonable.
I know from going to puppy class and intermediate obedience class with Daisy that there are things it would be hard to learn without a teacher right there watching, like timing and where to look. They observe and can tell you what not to do, which is sometimes as important as what to do.
Maybe you will learn all you need from just the one class and then can keep going forward yourself.
I agree with the others that it is a good idea to let the trainer know up from that for now you can just afford the one class so that she knows to make the most of it.

Daisy and Max
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

Wow so many great answers! And hearing those comments about the price makes me feel better about it. I just didn't even know dog behaviorists existed so I wasn't sure what the average price was and if this was a good deal or too high.
I decided to go for it! She's the best I've found so far in my area, and on the phone she seemed great and since she already asked me a bunch of question about her and I explained everything, I think on the session we'll get straight to the training since she already knows the story.

I honestly can't wait longer so I'm just going to make the appointment already for next week, maybe it'll make me feel a little more confident about what I should do for christmas eve if we have people over, it could be very stressful for Cici.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Audrey DeLay
Dog's Name: Jasmine (Female)

I think the training session is a good idea if she comes to your house. Jasmine's behavior is different when we are not at home! Also doesn't PetSmart have a refund policy if you are not satisfied? I know that PetCo does.

dntdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Yes, you have gotten some really good suggestions. I wish there was a Like button on here & I would be clicking Like on every one of them.

I think PetSmart does give refunds or either lets you take the class again for free. I do remember there was some kind of guarantee. We got lucky with our trainer there. But he will be leaving in March to go train service dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

before taking the class I also asked them about their "guarantee", and they said that they do refund the money or just keep giving the classes until the dog learns whatever the class was teaching. But I'm just a shy person and I expressed to the trainer how I was hoping to see better results, etc. But I was too chicken to tell her straight up that I wanted my money back, because she was really nice the whole time, but just didn't give any results..

And I was worried they would just make a big deal out of it to deny the refund anyways. Because she said she personally did see improvement in Cici (that her crying instead of barking sometimes was improvement). And I think it's probably too late now since it's been a month since it ended .