Training treats - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default Training treats

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Nutrition section.

Leila graduated puppy school several weeks ago and started the Intermediate class this past Sunday. The trainer told us to bring a special kind of treat next class that they absolutely can't resist. Most of them bring hotdogs to this one but I don't want to give that to Leila. I was thinking about roasting her a piece of chicken and cutting into tiny bite size pieces or either cook her some carrots or something. She had a couple of tastes one time before and really loved it, but has never had any carrots. Because we use a lot of treats in class, do you think it's a good idea or not to give her chicken/carrots if she's not used to them or do you think she will be ok? I have to work the next day and don't want her to have an upset tummy and be all alone with it while I'm gone.

Last Sunday, she was not interested in the class at all and her regular treats did no good. She didn't want them. All she wanted to do was sniff the floor. I could only get her to sit or lay down a couple of times on command...and forget stay. She wouldn't do it. Also, her best friend, Gabby, a King Charles Cavalier, was spayed a few days before and wasn't in class and there were two new dogs. One of those dogs barked constantly and I think that distracted Leila. Another thing about the barking is that Leila has barked more herself ever since this class than she ever has since I've gotten her. Do you think it's because of hearing the dog in class?

Leila did so well in the first set of training classes and I hope last Sunday was just an "off day" for her. But if she doesn't do any better this week, I don't know if we'll go back.

Any advise on any of this?

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I would do the chicken, I don't think that dog's can resist it!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I would do the chicken too. But make sure the pieces are very small. You need to keep her interested enough to listen to you. As long as the chicken is cooked very bland I think you shouldn't have to worry about her getting an upset tummy. Good luck with the class.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

I used cooked chicken too. Really tiny pieces so that she doesn't get full too fast. It is supposed to be something that is a special treat, not their usual treats.
I think that when they are so young they are easily distracted. They are just soaking everything in, so anything different, like a different instructor, or room, or new dogs, is much more interesting to them until they settle in.
Also, when we went to the intermediate class, our instructor said that right around that age (I think it is 6-12 months), the dogs have a second "fear period" where they tend to be frightened of new things. Because of that, it is important to keep socializing them. Maybe she is barking at new things? My Daisy did that. Everytime she noticed something different in our house, like a laundry basket in a different spot, she would bark at it. It didn't last forever

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Thanks, y'all! Chicken it is then. Some of it, I will cut extra tiny because for some things, the trainer has us give 2 or 3 pieces. He said it's like with a young child and you give them a $5 bill and they're like, "thanks". But if you give them five $1 bills, they think they've hit the jackpot even though it's the same amount. I hope she does better this time. I really like the trainer and the other people/dogs in the class. Also, if nothing else, it is something we get to go and do together and she gets to be around other people and puppies. She will be 5 months on the 8th and I hope that doesn't mean the barking will get worse in another month, LOL.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barb
Dog's Name: Spookie

The distractions are a good thing! Keep working with her, don't stop!!! I knew I wanted to go in the obedience ring, my trainer had sooooo many dogs up to UDX. She ran a wicked class. The dogs would be on sit or stay, she'd throw a ball into their midst. Or yell Cookies! Or shake a can. Or drop something. Anything that could happen at a trial, she tried to duplicate.

It all worked. He was solid in the ring. RIP Vulfie, mommie still misses you.

Think before you pink
Do you know how the money is spent?
spookiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement