Pulling on clothes - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy
Default Pulling on clothes

As you know daisy is teething so as a result she is pulling on my clothes and socks which results in my toes getting a bite. Now I've tried no and gently removing her and replacing my clothes with a toy. It's not working so I've moved to leaving the room coming back in and ignoring her. My question is how long do I ignore her? Is it a minute few minutes or more or less?
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

What I'm doing with Sophie's barking is most of the time she sits there staring at me to bark for attention. If tried no, I've tried redirecting her attention, I too have now had to resort to ignoring her. She sits there and barks and jumps around and I don't even look at hers when she's stopped barking I give her praise (you can use the clicker or do treats) and I hope and pray that will fix our problem. I hope this helped

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks Ashley its working a bit this evening and I praise her and she has stopped but just sits crying up at me and doesn't play with any toys so can't praise her for playing with toys the crying lasts for ages.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

As for the teething, I bought Sophie her very first bully stick on Saturday, that has cut down on a LOT of her chewing. Just check with your vet to see when they think she should have them, my vet recommended I wait until she was 16 weeks old.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ok will ask she has to go back and get her ears checked so will ask. It's awful all her front teeth are gone and I know it's hurting her but don't want he thinking its ok to pull on people's clothing.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka, Peppino and Tiny Tina

have you tried a teething ring for lil daisy???? i know my three did well on that
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I've little bone that we freeze down. The pulling on clothes is gettin more like an attention grabbing thing so say if I'm making dinner or something she will pull my clothes or socks. It started out teething but has progressed. I also give we an ice cube and she sucks it and runs around after it she loves that
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Some may have other training techniques to use....

First, I'd start working with her on basic obedience. So that you can give her something to do when she is being ornery.

When Grace starts being a handful I will say in a really fun voice, "Gracie sit!" "Gracie wave!".... I will run through all her best tricks and then give her cheerios after 5-6 of them.

Then she goes off and isn't a handful anymore LOL

Maltese are definitely people dogs. They want attention and they want to be a part of things. So this is a part of her that won't go away but needs redirection... Find a way to spend the time with her but not be under your feet attacking your pants LOL

When I'm cooking, as horrible as it might sound, I put Grace in a little basket type carseat (the small one that you hang over the seat?) on one of our kitchen stools (it's a chair type stool so safe). She happily sits there watching what we do.

Could I teach her to lay in her bed during this time? Sure... Gus hangs out on the living room chair. But none of us mind having her up there watching while we cook, and she's become a regular part of the dinner prep routine

Gus was a big clothes grabber. Ugh... I couldn't even walk down the hall without him going after my pants!

Trainers had lots of ideas.... One (horrible) even told me to quickly lift my legs up high and he'd learn it wasn't safe to be so close to my feet! One said to squirt him with water.

I ended up just redirecting and ignoring the behavior when I was busy and couldn't redirect.

And within a few weeks it stopped. He learned it did nothing and that toys were much more fun

When he was older I taught him "tap" He will paw my leg (it was part of his SDiT training). So you could possibly make it into a useful behavior.... Get a clicker and mark the part of the behavior you like.

But if you start playing training games with Daisy she will happily engage in an impromptu game when you need to get her out of an annoying behavior LOL

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

We ignore Gustave for about 1 minute. It's funny. He sits all sad for a minute and then starts playing around with something else. I assume it's because he has forgotten why he's in time out already. After that there's no point really in ignoring him. We ask him to do a couple of 'tricks' and then let him out so he feels like it's a game and he's earned it.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Tori great advise thankyou. I have a car seat which she doesn't use in the car so might try that with her in the kitchen jus like a high chair!! Love it

I think I'm going to get clicker tomorrow we have a squeaky ball ill squeak it and she runs brings it back and drops it so obviously she responds to it. I think we are at the stage of let's see how far we can get as she will look at me out of the corner of her eye while she is doing the clothes pulling!! Thanks

Eiksaa this is exactly what daisy was like except after 3 minutes she was still sitting crying at my leg!!! It was really bad crying my dad isn't well tonight and actually came up and told me to just throw her a toy that he could hear her in the bedroom!! She was upstairs in kitchen with me. To do list tomorrow is a clicker

With the clicker if you say sit she sits you click give her great correct? Same for stay etc? When you want to lengthen the time do you hold the click off for longer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement