She stopped walking on the leash - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default She stopped walking on the leash

Help!!

Leila had been walking on a leash since she was about 7 weeks old and acted like it was no big deal. She wasn't trained heel at the time or anything, but she would walk on the leash wherever she was taken on it. She did heel before being trained and it seemed to just come natural to her. Well, for about the past month, she has decided she does not want to walk on the leash. When the leash is on, it's real iffy if she'll walk at all and most of the time lays down and gives a look like she is not going to budge. Treats don't help either. Now she's supposed to be learning to heel in her classes and she's making it impossible. Any suggestions?

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Gustave went through the same thing with stairs. He's never had a problem and then suddenly one day when he was 5.5mo old he just started freezing whenever he encountered stairs. Out of nowhere.

He's a lot better now. We just make it a point of practice stairs multiple times a day. He was the same though, he wouldn't budge, not even for treats. Then one day I pretended I was leaving while the husband waited upstairs with Gustave. That worked, he followed me down. At that point I gave him lots of treats.

Could you try something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have pretended to walk off but she still just stayed there. I just don't know what else to do. I was wondering if maybe I should hold off letting her have her a.m. meal and then pretending her kibble is the treat and if she's hungry enough, she'll come for that.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I don't have any suggestions but do know that they go through stages and I feel this is just something she doesn't want to do at the moment. She will get over it. Don't give it too much thought and drive yourself crazy. You will see that the next time or time after she will just do it. They get like this for some reason. No need to worry.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ok, if it's just a stage, I guess I don't really have a choice but be patient and wait it out. I will keep trying and see if she will come around. The only thing is most of the classes she's in now are all mainly about doing things on the leash. If worse comes to worse, I guess we could take it again later.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
Ok, if it's just a stage, I guess I don't really have a choice but be patient and wait it out. I will keep trying and see if she will come around. The only thing is most of the classes she's in now are all mainly about doing things on the leash. If worse comes to worse, I guess we could take it again later.

I think once your in the class it will be a different story and she will cooperate. When they are still learning they are all over the place. She will get it.......you will see.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We just had our 3rd week of class. She already graduated from the puppy class and is now in the Intermediate class. She knows the trainer and other dogs now too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement