Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

pooping too much in a day?

5K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  jenna123 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Boo is almost 7 months now, I hope he's normal but I'm worried he's pooing too much! Please let me know if your fluffs are the same....... his poop schedule is:

645am- wake up, poo and pee
715am- poo's after his meal
sometimes poo's at 3pm depending if my sis is home
515pm-poo's after meal
730-poo's again
and SOMETIMES he poo's once more before he sleeps depending if he ate treats or not

#7 ·
Had that issue with wellness core. Vet said look at volume of each poo... Means its going right through him and he isn't absorbing. So wasting money on something he isn't getting much from. I switched to Orijen and added a little goat milk to help transition and now 2 pops a day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Wow so it's the food not the treats? I'm feeding him Fromm though.......

#9 ·
Too much poo

Hi everyone,

Boo is almost 7 months now, I hope he's normal but I'm worried he's pooing too much! Please let me know if your fluffs are the same....... his poop schedule is:

645am- wake up, poo and pee
715am- poo's after his meal
sometimes poo's at 3pm depending if my sis is home
515pm-poo's after meal
730-poo's again
and SOMETIMES he poo's once more before he sleeps depending if he ate treats or not
I feed my 3 Bil Jac and most days they poop 2 twice a day. Sometimes, depending on the treats, they will go 3 times but that is very rare. Before I started mine on Bil Jac, they were going 4-5 times a day. I was a Kroger's one day and it had been pouring rain. Someone had dropped a bag of something by Purina and it had spilled out onto the parking lot. The pieces had gotten wet and had swelled up--looked like little meatballs. I just thought about how the pieces would swell in my babies stomachs. I guess it makes them feel full but there is nothing of valve in the pieces. They just poop it all out. More food--more poop--vicious cycle.

#27 ·
That is exactly what I was going to say! My girls get 1/4 cup of food 2 times a day and very limited tiny treats in between. They get Fruitables broken into little pieces, Toy Temptations, and Wet Noses Little Stars, so their treat intake is no more than 10 - 15 calories per day. They each go 2, sometimes 3 times if they've had an active day or more treats than normal.

I don't know what's in the Petsmart treats but I would stick with low calorie nutritious snacks and cut back on the amount of food. You don't say how much he weighs, but I'd be concerned about that if he's eating that much food.

#14 ·
250ml of Fromm twice per day? that's like 2 cups of food per day!!! Im not sure how big Boo is, but my pup only eats1/2 cup per day TOTAL split into two meals (he is 1.5 years old though and 5.8 pounds). Obi poops 2-3 times per day.

It could be the quantity plus all the extra treats he is getting. Also, are you free feeding? you can do scheduled feeding twice a day at this age to have more predictable poops.

#22 ·
Yep, you are feeding him too much food. I have two 7lb dogs and they each got 1/2 cup total per day (1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening). You can either start with that amount and supplement with treats (mine also love the Fruitables!) and fresh veggies for snacks, or try feeding a little over 1/4 cup of kibble at each meal.

It may also be that you just happen to have a big pooper! My dogs poop 3 times per day usually. Sometimes they will only go twice, and occasionally they will go 4 times per day. I am a housewife so I take them out every couple of hours which gives them the opportunity to go if they want to and I think they poop more often because of that.

#24 ·
Lisa poops at LEAST three times a day... we only feed her (and Ozzie) a 1/2 cup of kibble a day. She poops this much on both Blue Buffalo and Fromm Gold... do you guys think this is normal?? I should also mention that she is a 'scavenger' and pretty much eats ANYTHING she can get a hold of, including leaves, wood chips, small sticks, carpet fuzz, lint, etc. We are still working on her training with this.. :-/ She will vomit up leaves and/or bits of wood chips a couple times a week on average :(

#25 ·
Lisa poops at LEAST three times a day... we only feed her (and Ozzie) a 1/2 cup of kibble a day. She poops this much on both Blue Buffalo and Fromm Gold... do you guys think this is normal?? I should also mention that she is a 'scavenger' and pretty much eats ANYTHING she can get a hold of, including leaves, wood chips, small sticks, carpet fuzz, lint, etc. We are still working on her training with this.. :-/ She will vomit up leaves and/or bits of wood chips a couple times a week on average :(

I can so relate to this. Rocky is a scavanger big time and will eat anything so I have to keep a super close eye on things and keep stuff off the floors. He does it outside too which drives me absolutely nuts.

Rocky Poops 3 times a day, I'd say that's pretty normal :)

#29 ·
Bella is a two to three-time a day pooper. Once when she wakes up, once in the afternoon and most of the time, once around 7:30 p.m. She is on Blue Freedom (Grain Free). My Golden Retriever service dog is on Royal Canin Venison and Potato (purchased throught the vet) and he poops just once per day.

#30 ·
Mia poops three times a day....8am, 3pm and 8pm. She has had a day or two when she's gone 4 times, but I think that's when my husband sneaks treats when I'm not looking. She will let me know if she needs to go out. She's funny..always pees in the neighbors yard across the street, but poops at the edge of the vacant lot on our side of the street. She's only pooped once in the neighbor's yard and of course we have bags on board, so no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.