pooping too much in a day? - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE823 View Post
What are the feeding guidelines on the bag??

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
The guidelines on the bag are way too much. The're a dog food company, they want you to feed more , so you'll buy more.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

Yep, you are feeding him too much food. I have two 7lb dogs and they each got 1/2 cup total per day (1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening). You can either start with that amount and supplement with treats (mine also love the Fruitables!) and fresh veggies for snacks, or try feeding a little over 1/4 cup of kibble at each meal.

It may also be that you just happen to have a big pooper! My dogs poop 3 times per day usually. Sometimes they will only go twice, and occasionally they will go 4 times per day. I am a housewife so I take them out every couple of hours which gives them the opportunity to go if they want to and I think they poop more often because of that.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
The guidelines on the bag are way too much. The're a dog food company, they want you to feed more , so you'll buy more.
Deb, I couldn't agree with you more. The guidelines on the food labels are over the top.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie & Lisa "Left Eye"

Lisa poops at LEAST three times a day... we only feed her (and Ozzie) a 1/2 cup of kibble a day. She poops this much on both Blue Buffalo and Fromm Gold... do you guys think this is normal?? I should also mention that she is a 'scavenger' and pretty much eats ANYTHING she can get a hold of, including leaves, wood chips, small sticks, carpet fuzz, lint, etc. We are still working on her training with this.. :-/ She will vomit up leaves and/or bits of wood chips a couple times a week on average

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkieYorkie View Post
Lisa poops at LEAST three times a day... we only feed her (and Ozzie) a 1/2 cup of kibble a day. She poops this much on both Blue Buffalo and Fromm Gold... do you guys think this is normal?? I should also mention that she is a 'scavenger' and pretty much eats ANYTHING she can get a hold of, including leaves, wood chips, small sticks, carpet fuzz, lint, etc. We are still working on her training with this.. :-/ She will vomit up leaves and/or bits of wood chips a couple times a week on average

I can so relate to this. Rocky is a scavanger big time and will eat anything so I have to keep a super close eye on things and keep stuff off the floors. He does it outside too which drives me absolutely nuts.

Rocky Poops 3 times a day, I'd say that's pretty normal
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkieYorkie View Post
Courtney, I think that since your measuring the food and know how much she eats.....leaves included that her poop is normal. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Ozzie and Lisa are adorable.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
It sounds like your feeding too much food. Isn't 250 ml over a cup of food. You said you feed that twice a day. That is a lot. I am sure the treats contribute to the extra pooping also.
That is exactly what I was going to say! My girls get 1/4 cup of food 2 times a day and very limited tiny treats in between. They get Fruitables broken into little pieces, Toy Temptations, and Wet Noses Little Stars, so their treat intake is no more than 10 - 15 calories per day. They each go 2, sometimes 3 times if they've had an active day or more treats than normal.

I don't know what's in the Petsmart treats but I would stick with low calorie nutritious snacks and cut back on the amount of food. You don't say how much he weighs, but I'd be concerned about that if he's eating that much food.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
That is exactly what I was going to say! My girls get 1/4 cup of food 2 times a day and very limited tiny treats in between. They get Fruitables broken into little pieces, Toy Temptations, and Wet Noses Little Stars, so their treat intake is no more than 10 - 15 calories per day. They each go 2, sometimes 3 times if they've had an active day or more treats than normal.

I don't know what's in the Petsmart treats but I would stick with low calorie nutritious snacks and cut back on the amount of food. You don't say how much he weighs, but I'd be concerned about that if he's eating that much food.
It's true Maggie. You really have to take into account every calorie they eat....just like us humans they can gain weight so easily. I watch and read every food label, even for myself.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

Bella is a two to three-time a day pooper. Once when she wakes up, once in the afternoon and most of the time, once around 7:30 p.m. She is on Blue Freedom (Grain Free). My Golden Retriever service dog is on Royal Canin Venison and Potato (purchased throught the vet) and he poops just once per day.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

Mia poops three times a day....8am, 3pm and 8pm. She has had a day or two when she's gone 4 times, but I think that's when my husband sneaks treats when I'm not looking. She will let me know if she needs to go out. She's funny..always pees in the neighbors yard across the street, but poops at the edge of the vacant lot on our side of the street. She's only pooped once in the neighbor's yard and of course we have bags on board, so no problem.
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement