Pee pads in the crate at night? (12 weeks old) - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pee pads in the crate at night? (12 weeks old)

We are getting our Maltese puppy tomorrow. The breeder uses a pee pad in the crate at night and tells us that this is ok to do. My husband's concern is that it will be harder to convert the puppy to going to the bathroom outside when it gets older. However, I think that since the pee pad is only in the crate at night, as soon as the puppy's bladder reaches maturity, it won't have a need to pee in the middle of the night when we eventually get rid of the crate.

Oh also, to stress the breeder only suggested using this pee pad at night in the crate while we are sleeping, and letting the dog outside normally during the day etc.

Any thoughts?
jacf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Personally, I wouldn't. At three months, Leila didn't have the pee pad in her crate and she did fine. I was afraid I would be starting a bad habit or confuse her if I put one in it. Congratulations on becoming a new malt mommy soon! Please share pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

That isn't the greatest idea, IMHO. Puppies like to go in the same place EVERY time. It's the best way to get them trained. If the pad is in her crate, she's going to think THAT is her potty area.
Also, puppies won't 'go' where they sleep, so if she's sleeping in her crate, she won't wake up, poop and go back to sleep. She needs to have a set place to go and her crate should not be it.
*I* am training Gucci to go on her pee pad AND outside. When I'm not home, she's in a containment pen with a grass pad and uses that. But, when I'm home, she goes outside. She's 5 months and has done pretty well, for the most part. Of course she's had accidents, but very few.
I would say keep the pee pad in ONE place and if she needs to go at night, she'll let you know.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Bailey had a pad in his pen when he came home at 12 weeks. It worked great for us as he would use it a couple of times in the night by himself so I didn't have to get up every couple of hours to let him out. As his bladder matured, the spots on the pad were fewer in the morning. By about 5-6 months the pads were dry in the morning so I removed it.

Bailey was 100% housetrained by four months so it wasn't an issue for us. He potties on a pad or outside with no confusion. He was also basically paper training when he came home at 12 weeks so it was just a matter of reinforcing it in a new environment.

I do recommend if you plan on using a pad at night to use a pen, not a crate, where there is plenty of room for a separate sleeping and potty area. Crate training is totally different. You don't want the puppy to eliminate in her crate and you must take her out on a schedule. Chrisman has a good crate training schedule on their website.

Maltese housebreaking schedule
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

We got Pipper at 10 weeks and trained him to go outdoors right from the beginning. He sleeps in a crate and would whine and let us know when he needed out overnight because as others stated, they don't like to go in their sleeping area. Just make sure the crate is only big enough for the puppy to stretch out in and not too big where they feel they can pee in it too. After a short period of time (can't remember how long ) his bladder could hold it all night.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

Gucci is only 5 months and she has been holding it all night (knock on wood). She's been doing it for about a month now (give or take a few accidents)
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. Just one more question rather than make another topic I'll ask it here. We were thinking of bringing the crate in our room when we are sleeping at night, rather than having it downstairs.

Is this a good idea? Other than at night, we don't want the dog upstairs.
jacf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

We always moved Pippers crate to our room at night. Just recently I bought a second crate to leave in our room so I don't have to keep moving the original one all the time. Clumsy me, I kept banging into the walls with it.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I realized the first week I got Leila that if I put her crate on the bed with me, near my pillow in the middle of the bed, where she can see me when she wakes up, she didn't cry at night unless she had to go to the bathroom. The first couple of nights, she did wake up once or twice and I reached my finger in and rubbed her head. She went straight back to sleep. She's been sleeping in a crate on the bed like that ever since and rarely wakes up during the night. Actually, whenever I wake up she's just laying there quietly and awake looking at me so sweet. It's a nice way for me to wake up and see that sweet face first thing in the morning. I do use a soft crate on the bed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Default Pee pads vs going outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacf29 View Post
We are getting our Maltese puppy tomorrow. The breeder uses a pee pad in the crate at night and tells us that this is ok to do. My husband's concern is that it will be harder to convert the puppy to going to the bathroom outside when it gets older. However, I think that since the pee pad is only in the crate at night, as soon as the puppy's bladder reaches maturity, it won't have a need to pee in the middle of the night when we eventually get rid of the crate.

Oh also, to stress the breeder only suggested using this pee pad at night in the crate while we are sleeping, and letting the dog outside normally during the day etc.

Any thoughts?
Daisy, Zoey and Laci have ALWAYS used potty pads. Their little feet have never touched grass. When we go outside, they are carried. I don't trust the environment enough to let my babies outside. We have predators in the woods on 3 sides of our home, hawks in the air, they can get heart worms, FLEAS and other issues. I am not saying that you should not take your furbabies outside, that is just our personal choice. Life is so much easier with a potty pad. We put one out (behind a recliner) and that is where they go. A good shake over the commode to get rid of the solids and wad up the pad and throw it away. Put a clean one down and you are good to go. Not to mention, you don't have to bundle them up (and yourself) to go outside in the rain, snow and any other undersirabe weather. I love the convenience of having them and I don't have to worry about them getting snatched up and me not being able to do anything to stop them.
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement