Need Advice please....................... - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvysMom View Post
@ burping and scratching!! Good for you for maintaining your sense of humor despite your frustrations.

Those are adorable belly bands at the link provided above and could be a sanity saver for you if he becomes incorrigible about marking his toys. And yes, that is what it sounds like, "That is MY toy!!"

If I were in your situation though, I'd want to make another effort at training and go back to square one: Use easily movable baby gates to keep him in whatever room you are in and never let him have the run of the house, always keep one eye on him to try to catch him about to go, crate him when you can't watch him.

I have always had little girl doggies so I really don't know the answer to my next question: Since even neutered boy dogs seem to be concerned about their territory/toys, would it be better/easier/more effective to housetrain them to NEVER go potty in the house - even on a pee pad - but to always go outdoors only. Could the fact that they use potty pads inside the house and so the smell (for their sensitive little noses) is inside the house confuse the house training for them? In other words, they think if it's ok to pee HERE in the house, it must be ok to pee THERE in the house. If they were only allowed to pee outside maybe that would make it clearer to them that peeing inside is ALWAYS a no-no, anywhere in the house. Just a thought. I don't know whether there's anything to it or not.
Your theory makes perfect logical sense to me. Thats why I trained Pipper right from the start to only go outdoors. Sure hope he never feels the need to mark. Years and years ago we had a male border collie and he never marked.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hannah
Dog's Name: Madeleine "Maddie"

I really don't have any advice but our maltipoo went through a phase of pooping on all of the stuff animals.
Madeleinesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

I have trained mine to do both. I dont know why he is doing this per say.................... however ever since my mommy dearest act this morning, it seems to have put some sense back into him. I went home at lunch to give meds to Babinka and I went to check everywhere and nope nothing anywhere except in the bathroom where the pee pads are :-) I picked him up and told him he was a good boy!!!! I am going to be on this like a bee is on a flower. As for Tiny Tina........... I am training slowly........................ told her no more gifts on the bed!!!!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
How old is Peppino? He is definitely marking his territory/claiming those toys as HIS. If Tiny Tina is urinating in the house, that will trigger him to also.

Bailey marked one time only, when I was visiting a friend who has two Pekinese. Both dogs pee in the house. The male marks (he even lifted his leg on the skirt of a chair I was sitting in once!) and the girl will use pads, but also squats and pees right on the carpet when she feels like it. I am sure to Bailey the place smelled like a giant urinal and he figured it was okay to mark. Fortunately he peed on a piece of newspaper that was on her floor so it wasn't a big deal. I never took him back there, though.

This is a great place for belly bands and the profits go to rescue:

Peke A Tzu Rescue Belly Bands for Boy Dogs

I wouldn't rush into a belly band yet as that is literally putting a bandaid on the problem. I would go back to basic potty training.
Thanks for the link. I want to get him Leaky faucet................... perfect for his pointer and aimer............
Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvysMom View Post
@ burping and scratching!! Good for you for maintaining your sense of humor despite your frustrations.

Those are adorable belly bands at the link provided above and could be a sanity saver for you if he becomes incorrigible about marking his toys. And yes, that is what it sounds like, "That is MY toy!!"

If I were in your situation though, I'd want to make another effort at training and go back to square one: Use easily movable baby gates to keep him in whatever room you are in and never let him have the run of the house, always keep one eye on him to try to catch him about to go, crate him when you can't watch him.

I have always had little girl doggies so I really don't know the answer to my next question: Since even neutered boy dogs seem to be concerned about their territory/toys, would it be better/easier/more effective to housetrain them to NEVER go potty in the house - even on a pee pad - but to always go outdoors only. Could the fact that they use potty pads inside the house and so the smell (for their sensitive little noses) is inside the house confuse the house training for them? In other words, they think if it's ok to pee HERE in the house, it must be ok to pee THERE in the house. If they were only allowed to pee outside maybe that would make it clearer to them that peeing inside is ALWAYS a no-no, anywhere in the house. Just a thought. I don't know whether there's anything to it or not.

I have had several males, all trained to go outside only,and they were completely house trained, but everyonce in awhile one of mine would mark in the house. Dewey and Hardy are 100% pee pad trained and have never marked in my house, or any that I have taken them to.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
I have had several males, all trained to go outside only,and they were completely house trained, but everyonce in awhile one of mine would mark in the house. Dewey and Hardy are 100% pee pad trained and have never marked in my house, or any that I have taken them to.

He was great until he had butt problems. I have trained. Babinka is awesome. Tiny Tina not bad we are working together on this bed present thing it doesnt happen all the time just once in awhile. But Peppino has become Mr. Pig........................
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltese manica View Post
I have trained mine to do both. I dont know why he is doing this per say.................... however ever since my mommy dearest act this morning, it seems to have put some sense back into him. I went home at lunch to give meds to Babinka and I went to check everywhere and nope nothing anywhere except in the bathroom where the pee pads are :-) I picked him up and told him he was a good boy!!!! I am going to be on this like a bee is on a flower. As for Tiny Tina........... I am training slowly........................ told her no more gifts on the bed!!!!
Was Peppino loose while you were gone? That's probably not a good idea. Marking can just be a few drops of urine here and there and you will never know unless you catch him in the act. Meanwhile the habit will become more and more difficult to break once it becomes established.

Just like with housetraining, confinement and constant supervision is the key.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Was Peppino loose while you were gone? That's probably not a good idea. Marking can just be a few drops of urine here and there and you will never know unless you catch him in the act. Meanwhile the habit will become more and more difficult to break once it becomes established.

Just like with housetraining, confinement and constant supervision is the key.
I am going to break out the xpen again............ !!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

Janene,

A couple of opinions:

First, he might have a UTI. It is not unheard of in males. He has been on antibiotics and it is possible that the good bacteria are gone and bad bacteria resisted to the anibiotics have grown in his bladder or urinary tract. When you bring him to the vet, I would ask. It is possible that he needs a second course of a different antibiotic.

It is also possibly behavioral. Maybe he is marking. I am also wondering if this might be an attention grabbing response on his part. He has been sick over the last few weeks so he has been getting additional attention. Now he is feeling better, your home life is returning to normal. Maybe he is just missing the extra attention he was getting when sick and this is his way to get mommy to give more attention to him.

It could be just a bit of regression of pee training.

Retraining is probably necessary.

I know this will be unpopular, and I do understand your concern for your house, and the behavior/problem needs to be corrected, but in perspective it is just pee. A little woolite pet and it is gone. Long term, you do not want to have him peeing everywhere, but one or two "mistakes" are not the end of the world.

Give him extra hugs tonight for Lucky.

Good luck and keep us informed.
wkomorow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
Janene,

A couple of opinions:

First, he might have a UTI. It is not unheard of in males. He has been on antibiotics and it is possible that the good bacteria are gone and bad bacteria resisted to the anibiotics have grown in his bladder or urinary tract. When you bring him to the vet, I would ask. It is possible that he needs a second course of a different antibiotic.

It is also possibly behavioral. Maybe he is marking. I am also wondering if this might be an attention grabbing response on his part. He has been sick over the last few weeks so he has been getting additional attention. Now he is feeling better, your home life is returning to normal. Maybe he is just missing the extra attention he was getting when sick and this is his way to get mommy to give more attention to him.

It could be just a bit of regression of pee training.

Retraining is probably necessary.

I know this will be unpopular, and I do understand your concern for your house, and the behavior/problem needs to be corrected, but in perspective it is just pee. A little woolite pet and it is gone. Long term, you do not want to have him peeing everywhere, but one or two "mistakes" are not the end of the world.

Give him extra hugs tonight for Lucky.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Thanks Walter. Actually what you are saying makes perfect sense. Got home tonight and still no piggy messes. Peppino says thanks Lucky us males stick together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement