Is it possible??? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

I've taught Mia how turn in a circle on her hind legs for a treat. Now she does it when she wants a treat because she knows how cute she looks. I'm trying to teach her high five too, and sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't..she has connected it yet to a treat. She does fetch maybe three times and then she just looks at me like "I bought it to you and threw it again...you go get it".
nwyant1946 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Harley

I did obedience classes with Harley and she is about 7 years old. Yes, it can be done. :-)

Okay, she never responds to the 'heel' command. Or 'down' or 'place'.

Harley does not eat when she is nervous and like Bacci, can go for more than a day without eating. It still makes me nervous. She would not eat the crunchy treats or the peanut butter the trainers had for the dogs even after 24 hours of not eating. I used chicken, bits of scrambled egg, cooked ground beef for fresh treats and "My Little Wolf" brand commercial treats. One of the trainers suggested cat treats because they are smellier. Have you tried commercial treats with Bacci?

I wish I had known during training that Harley *loves* banana bread. I would have used that for motivation. Maybe Bacci has a motivational food you have yet to discover!
ThatBrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Mocha

Yes it's possible. I taught my dog Mocha to play dead at 6 years old. He knew how to do it without any problems in just 4 days of training. He can now play dead on command when i say "bang" and pretend to shoot him with my fingers. You must be persistent, train him/her everyday (best 3-4 times a day) and praise your fluff when he/she gets it right. Good luck!

Love Mocha
Miyuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Briyanna
Dog's Name: Bacci
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBrunette View Post
I did obedience classes with Harley and she is about 7 years old. Yes, it can be done. :-)

Okay, she never responds to the 'heel' command. Or 'down' or 'place'.

Harley does not eat when she is nervous and like Bacci, can go for more than a day without eating. It still makes me nervous. She would not eat the crunchy treats or the peanut butter the trainers had for the dogs even after 24 hours of not eating. I used chicken, bits of scrambled egg, cooked ground beef for fresh treats and "My Little Wolf" brand commercial treats. One of the trainers suggested cat treats because they are smellier. Have you tried commercial treats with Bacci?

I wish I had known during training that Harley *loves* banana bread. I would have used that for motivation. Maybe Bacci has a motivational food you have yet to discover!
I have tried some commercial treats, but not cat treats. Maybe I should try that!And perhaps you are right... maybe I need to explore my options and see which food is Bacci's motivational food.

And Miyuu, how did you teach your baby to play dead? Like what steps did you take, what exactly did you do???
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Possible? Yes, it's possible. The dogs are the easy part. The owners are another story.

Zsa Zsa
(Puppy mill? What's a puppy mill? You must have
me mistaken with someone else. I've been
a Princess my WHOLE life.)
missalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish & Charm (Cloud, Clancy, Clouseau, Cameo & Calypso @ bridge)
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

I know this thread is a bit older, but I just stumbled on it tonight. I am a huge fan of teaching dogs at all stages of life. My first Maltese was 10 years old and the love of my life when I attended my first Maltese Specialty. I had never done more than some basic things with him at home (sit, down, roll over). But when I went and saw the obedience at nationals I thought, I want to do that with my Cloud. I took him to class and we ended up earning his CD title when he was 12 years old.

I have to say, for sure you can do some easy tricks at home and I imagine your dog will love it (grab a clicker and charge it and be ready to have fun). There are some great videos on YouTube for clicker training.

But if you are like me, I find that classes really help keep me motivated and make me do my homework. At the moment my schedule is crazy with classes. I have Cadie in Advanced Rally, CherryB in Novice Rally, Cadeau in Nosework and Cherish still goes to conformation classes. (Poor Cacia needs a class of her own soon too, to round out the list).

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

You can teach a dog of any age, new tricks. Right now I'm using redbarn rolls for treats, they are easy to cut up into tiny bite sized pieces. Some people use cheerios, cheese, meats, small bits of hot dog, you just have to find what works for you.