Is it possible??? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Briyanna
Dog's Name: Bacci
Default Is it possible???

To teach a young dog *2 year old* new tricks, without the help of a trainer? And if so, how long do you guys think it would take? Is it even worth trying on my own, or should I hire a trainer?

Bacci already knew "sit" when I got him, but that is all he knows. I want him to know how to give a high five and cute tricks like that.

Also, when we play fetch, he fetches the object but never brings it back. How do I get him to bring it to me???

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

With lots of positive reinforcement and treats, it's not too difficult depending on what you're trying to get them to do. Every once in a while I try to teach them something new - Tessa gets it right away while Sweetness says "mom, you know I get by on my looks!"
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Boomer

If you google dog tricks online you should find some good videos. I found this one guy I really enjoyed watching Tab 289 he makes it look so easy. If Bacci is treat driven it will make it a lot easier.
luvsmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)

Of course! Just be patient and persistent for short periods of time. If you teach them tricks that go along with things they already like to do, it helps too. Good luck : )

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Question

Thanks for the tips guys! But here is the problem... Bacci eats dry dog food mixed in with boiled chicken breast. I had to start doing that because without adding the chicken, he would go for 3-4 days without eating. He just REFUSES to eat plain dog food. I know usually a healthy dog will not starve himself, but here we have a stubborn case hehe...

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that he already eats chicken for dinner, and anything else he's really not crazy about. For the most part, he'll smell whatever it is I'm trying to give him and nibble on it a little and drop it. He's not one of those dogs that goes crazy for food. I brought him to my mom's house yesterday and she tried to give him little pieces of a hot dog (my mom just LOVES feeding animals) and he smelled it, put it in his mouth and then dropped it and walked away!!!

So all in all, no- he is not treat driven. What can I do in that case?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Lilly and Daisy
Send a message via Yahoo to cyndrae

Try saving some of his dinner for tricks. My dogs have to work for their food by playing ball. You can do it there is lots of ideas on the Internet.

cyndrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Boomer

Before Boomer would go to obedience class they told us to bring him hungry. Maybe you could use the chicken for treats on the days you do training and not add it to his kibble. I've heard some dogs are more play driven so you could offer a special toy.
Have you tried cheese, steak, bacon, only offer a teeny tiny piece for treats. Try a beginner obedience class they may have more suggestions.
luvsmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Jeanne
Dog's Name: Sparkle and Rory

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesBacci View Post
To teach a young dog *2 year old* new tricks, without the help of a trainer? And if so, how long do you guys think it would take? Is it even worth trying on my own, or should I hire a trainer?

Bacci already knew "sit" when I got him, but that is all he knows. I want him to know how to give a high five and cute tricks like that.

Also, when we play fetch, he fetches the object but never brings it back. How do I get him to bring it to me???

I don't know, but what a cutie patootie! And your post was a great hook. I had to read it.

Sparkle 12/7/2001-1/29/2013

Rory!!!!
Sparkle'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Well Iam sure going to watch this post--iam just getting to the trick trainng part. so i hope to learn lots on this good post. nickee*

I Just Caught Yogi with a stink bug-trying to get it--see it on the floor?

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 03-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Heart

Thanks for the suggestions you guys! That might actually be a good idea, to keep him hungry before training. I will try that!

As far as cheese, bacon, steak etc... Nope, if hes not hungry, he wont even chew it. He'll smell it, put it in his mouth and then drop it and walk away. What a weird dog!!!! lol... My experience with dogs was always that it didnt matter whether or not they were hungry, if human food was there they would eat it no questions asked! But thats a good point, I really didnt think of keeping him hungry before training.

I'll also look up some videos on youtube. Besides the ones that were already mentioned, do you guys have any personal favorites?

Again thank you all for your responses!
Advertisement