Advice and or opinion on obedience training - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Glenda
Dog's Name: Madison, Axel and Paxton
Send a message via AIM to Madison's Mom

Madison was in a group class and one dog was a huge labradoodle. Before the series of classes was over everyone but us had dropped out so we got private lessons. Paxton was in a class of all small dogs. Skyler has a private trainer and she has a problem with meeting new people. We've been training at the local home improvement store to get her more socialized. I think the group of small dogs was probably the best in my experience.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Denise
Dog's Name: Aviannah - We call her Avi or Avia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
When Lucky went to obedience class, he was in a class of all small dogs; mostly yorkies. I don't think I would do a class with larger dogs.

I am thinking you are right! If I can not get into a group of small dogs I will just do private! BTW how are you doing? I hope you are feeling much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison's Mom View Post
Madison was in a group class and one dog was a huge labradoodle. Before the series of classes was over everyone but us had dropped out so we got private lessons. Paxton was in a class of all small dogs. Skyler has a private trainer and she has a problem with meeting new people. We've been training at the local home improvement store to get her more socialized. I think the group of small dogs was probably the best in my experience.

I am going ask the trainer if she would be willing to try getting together a group for small dogs only and if not I will do private and keep socializing her as much as possible on my own. I am trying real hard to give her as many experiences (exposure to knew things, sounds, people, & other animals) as possible without endangering her! It seems to be working so far, we had a bad storm here making a lot of noise including city sirens going off and she did wonderfully during it. No shaking, barking or crying. She ate, played and napped like any other day. She got high praises for being such a good girl!
Aviannah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

Sweet of you to think about me. I am doing better.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie

First of all, how do you stand that much cuteness? Oh my goodness, she is just adorable!
I took Daisy to a puppy socialization class when she was small, and she was the only small dog. All of the big dogs sort of ganged up on her and she was terrified. They were just big goofy puppies trying to play, but she could have been easily hurt. We didn't go back, but were able to find another class where they had the small dogs play together in a gated area away from the large dogs.
Have you seen Dr. Sophia Yin's checklist for puppy socialization? I found it very helpful. Here is the link if you want to check it out:
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/13722/fi...=1492730344411
She has some articles on her blog too:
https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/p...ore-it-starts/

Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Denise - when Tyler was a pup I took him to a socialization class near me. Every dog was much bigger and out of control. Scared him to death. But then I signed up with a trainer who was well recommended and I told her I didn't want him in a group of big dogs. It took a month or two and she got together a group of smaller dogs. It was perfect. Tyler became socialized and enjoyed it and yeah, he even learned a little. I remember being told to make sure the trainer is an APDT (assoc of profess dog training) trainer and I did find one who was.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
Sweet of you to think about me. I am doing better.

That is wonderful to hear Walter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
First of all, how do you stand that much cuteness? Oh my goodness, she is just adorable!
I took Daisy to a puppy socialization class when she was small, and she was the only small dog. All of the big dogs sort of ganged up on her and she was terrified. They were just big goofy puppies trying to play, but she could have been easily hurt. We didn't go back, but were able to find another class where they had the small dogs play together in a gated area away from the large dogs.
Have you seen Dr. Sophia Yin's checklist for puppy socialization? I found it very helpful. Here is the link if you want to check it out:
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/13722/fi...=1492730344411
She has some articles on her blog too:
https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/p...ore-it-starts/

Thanks Kathleen, she is an absolute joy and seems to make everyone she meets happy! All the fluffs here are so cute. I would love to meet them all! Thank you for those links too, I book marked them so I can take time to sit down and read them. I am really hoping to be able to do group for small size only but will do private if not. Just not worth risking her getting hurt on accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Denise - when Tyler was a pup I took him to a socialization class near me. Every dog was much bigger and out of control. Scared him to death. But then I signed up with a trainer who was well recommended and I told her I didn't want him in a group of big dogs. It took a month or two and she got together a group of smaller dogs. It was perfect. Tyler became socialized and enjoyed it and yeah, he even learned a little. I remember being told to make sure the trainer is an APDT (assoc of profess dog training) trainer and I did find one who was.

I am so happy Tyler learned a little too! I will have to go look again at the trainers page and see what she has posted about her training "degree". My vet and two friends recommended her for our area and when we met I had so many questions I did not even think to ask about that! I am really hoping she can get a group of small size only class, I will do a couple private lessons and see if I can talk her into trying to get one started!
Old 06-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Honestly, you want to have your tiny puppies around larger puppies for proper socialization so they aren't afraid of big dogs. It's a huge issue for tiny dogs because we parents can be over protective. And understandably so. When I had my store, we did puppy socialization classes as well as basic obedience. If you have a good and educated/certified trainer, they will never allow tiny ones and big ones to interact and actually be in a situation where the tiny one could get hurt. We often let the tiny ones off leash to play while the bigger pups stayed leashed with their parents. And then it was the larger pups turn. It still allowed positive encounters with dogs of various sizes, colors and breeds while keeping them safe. I would not recommend trainers at big box stores like PetSmart, PetSupplies Plus and Petco. Their trainers are not certified and often put all sizes together with too many in one class. A class with one trainer should have no more than 4-5 puppies.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
Honestly, you want to have your tiny puppies around larger puppies for proper socialization so they aren't afraid of big dogs. It's a huge issue for tiny dogs because we parents can be over protective. And understandably so. When I had my store, we did puppy socialization classes as well as basic obedience. If you have a good and educated/certified trainer, they will never allow tiny ones and big ones to interact and actually be in a situation where the tiny one could get hurt. We often let the tiny ones off leash to play while the bigger pups stayed leashed with their parents. And then it was the larger pups turn. It still allowed positive encounters with dogs of various sizes, colors and breeds while keeping them safe. I would not recommend trainers at big box stores like PetSmart, PetSupplies Plus and Petco. Their trainers are not certified and often put all sizes together with too many in one class. A class with one trainer should have no more than 4-5 puppies.

Thanks Crystal! The trainer I am using is certified and not associated with any stores. I will ask her how many pups are in each of her classes. I am cautious without doubt but I am also doing everything I can to make her a well rounded pup without harm if at all possible. She has been around a few large dogs just not to play with them.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, CherryB, Cherish, Charm, Cricket, Cosette & Conan
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

I am a big believer in taking dogs to classes. I go weekly sometimes multiple times per week with my dogs. I now teach rally classes. My dogs have several titles in Rally and performance events. You should worry about larger dogs in classes, but not to the point of keeping your dog isolated and unsocialized. You should only go to classes where the dogs in class are kept under control, the other owners and the instructors are watchful and you should be watchful as well. Maltese and big dogs do not belong in the types of classes were all dogs run free. If I feel my dogs may be looking too interesting to dogs around us, I am quick to get my dogs to a safe zone, whether that be up in arms, or out of the building all together.

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Thank you for sharing Carina! I truly value any advice and opinions I can get. I am definitely socializing her as much possible. I still have much to learn for sure but it is so worth it. This little girl is amazing in my eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement