wee wee pad changing? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Howdy All:

I hope you are doing great.

We are curious how often you change your wee wee pads? I searched but could not seem to find an answer for this.

Also, anybody have problems with the normal 23x23 size? Karry wants to get the bigger one because she says the hounds are having a hard time getting on there but I figure if that is all they have they will eventually get the hang of it.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

"You can't replace love, but you can add love." Carol Ann
aea6574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Lady is mostly outdoor trained, but uses pads when I am at work or the weather is bad. I get the larger 23" by 36" human pads and use two together for her. I replace the pad as soon as it's been used. I can't stand the sight and smell of a used pad, but I may be a fanatic...!
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Beastie & Pipsqueak (Moose & Bruiser at Rainbow Bridge)

Our boys don't go out to potty, and are pad trained (well, maybenot Bruiser, 100%). I change the pad almost after every use, as I don't like the smell, either. Also, each one HAS to have his own pad - they will NOT share wee wee pads. At one point, I used two side by side, hoping to avoid those "near misses", but they only gravitate towards the edge anyway.
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom Send a message via Yahoo to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom

Mine are the 23x24 size.
I cut them in half for the smaller litter boxes I have some of them in since we got the puppy.

As far as how often to change them, that depends on you and your dogs.
Neyland has to have his changed more often than Brinkley. Neyland is not even going to get CLOSE to stepping in a puddle...dried or otherwise. I also don't care for dirty pads sitting around, so I feel like I change the A LOT...esp. with two dogs and a CAT that uses them!

Your babies will catch on....hang in there.

<span style="color:#990000">"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner </span>
Brinkley & Neyland's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to msmagnolia

I have two maltese that use pee pads exclusively. I still haven't gottne off my butt and ordered the ones on Ebay like Traci does so I buy the ones from WalMart that are $6.82 for 32. They are about 21 x 23. I don't like to see or smell anything so I change pretty frequently based on the size of the spot. For 72 hours following Chemo Sassy's output is considered toxic waste and must be handled with gloves. I am having to watch like a hawk and change the pads immediately. Luckily I'll be done with that phase after tomorrow.

I LOVE having the pads. I never, ever thought that I would use them, but I wouldn't have it any other way now. Good luck with the pad training. I'm glad you are enjoying your new puppies.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I change it everytime after #2, but wait until 2 times for #1. It seems thats what the dogs prefer
Theirs is about 17 x 20.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

It depends on the amount of pee...If it's just little squirts, then after three spots. If it's one big puddle, then immediately. Maui will not pee on a pad that has been pooped on, even if you take the poo off. So that pad is changed immediatley. We use the pads from Walmart that are for adult dogs and are very thick. They are 22.5 x 22.5 and cost $12.99 for 50 pads.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Kodie is trainned on puppy pads too. I change it after his morning pee... because thats the nastiest after he has been holding it all night.. haha. I also change it after there are probably 2 pee marks... unless they are big pee marks... or if it smells... it just really depends on what the pad looks like. Kodie will not use it if there are tons of pee on it... he will go NEXT to the pad then... grrrr I will probably be changing the pads even more after my new pup comes! Right now I use simple solutions brand pads because they are bigger...23x24 I believe is the size... I buy them by the case online... I know there are ones on ebay but they are smaller and seem to be thinner. I do have a few to try from a SM member.. soo I might concerner switching to the cheeper ones from ebay because i'll be using a lot more pads with two dogs.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to Maltese Adora-Belle

I change Belle's pads depending on the size of the pee pee. If it is large then it goes right away as she won't use it again. When it is a smaller amount she will use it twice before I have to change it. I used to use Simple Solution but there was a post here regarding Arm & Hammer Puppy Pads at Target. I tried them and love them. I don't notice a smell at all. I find it worth it to purchase the 80 pads 22.5 x 22.5 for $12.95 and watch for them to go on sale. I will continue using the Arm & Hammer unless/until finances make it so that I need to do otherwise. I wish I knew how to find the thread and post it on the Arm & Hammer Pads for you.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hi everyone its been a while.. Summer uses Simple Solution from Pet Smart 30x30 I love the bigger size I put 2 down and change after 2 pees or like everyone else if she has a reallllly big one lol sometimes its amazing how much pee pee comes out of our little princess And I change after she poops we change the pad 2 to 3 time a day just depends ( and my hubby is the worst he will yell Theresa Summer's gone potty so I can come in and pick it up off the pad

Ok I can't believe the little brat she just went pee on the kids bathroom rug And I have that NICE big pee pad for her to use