My foster/rescue, what to expect?? ((loooong text!) - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Bow

Dog's Name: Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia's Grammy View Post
Hi,
Welcome to SM, there are some wonderful people and great advice on here to help you along the way. Mia my Maltese is 6 months now I got her from a breeder at 6 weeks who kept them kenneled in a dark shed. I found out with the finicky eating situation that sometimes Mia will only eat out of her kennel because thats the only thing she new. I put a dish in her kennel and in the kitchen and low and behold we would watch her put her head in the kennel door and nibble at her food or bring a mouth full out onto the carpet. I was desperate I did not want her blood sugar to drop and her become ill. She would also eat out of my hand for awhile. Stick to it she will learn to trust you and know that you love her and will take care of her. Post a picture for us.
Thank you for this, it's good to hear about similar situations! After reading this I actually started paying attention to Bow's eating - she also loves to be shut in to the kennel with her food bowl (I figured this out when I fed her with other dogs around, otherwise they's push their noses into her bowl). Do you know if your Mia's breeder has after that been stopped doing her nasty business?
Bow has started to eat like mad now, she really enjoys her food and I'm soon hoping to upload a video where she is trying to get to know my mastiff, it was hilarious how she was just jumping up and down, barking at the big boy and trying to get a reaction from him! I'm just a bit lost with uploading videos, I hardly even manage the photos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella's Mommy View Post
Ohhh she is so adorable. Your story and your photos made me cry. I will never understand how people can treat any animal that way. I am so glad she found her way into your life. We once rescued a 18 month old Chow Chow. Tellie was well fed and in good physical condition but he couldn't climb stairs, he was frightened of music, the TV. He had never been socialized with people or other animals so he was afraid and it came out as aggression. He lived with us for 10 years and became a wonderful member of the family. I won't say it was always easy but it was totally worth the effort. I found what made the difference was love. No matter what we made Tellie understand we loved him. Good luck.
Thank you and sorry to hear your Tellie isn't with you anymore, however you did a fantastic job by loving this sweetheart and showing what is to trust again!
People who treat animals like that really make me too so very angry and sad - it feels hopeless and seems like the cruelty will never end, however luckily there are people who are ready to fight for and give love and home for some of the unlucky animals

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and support, Bow says she is very flattered and blushing as no one ever told her she is a pretty girl before.. I just love her so much, I miss her constantly when I'm not home and just want to keep her close to me - lucky she is getting braver and starts slowly to bond with my other dogs. This morning I saw her trying to play with my tibetan spaniel, and it really brought tears in to my eyes

She seems to gain weight so fast at the moment, even if it's nowhere near normal weight yet, but you can tell she is definately getting better. Next month, if she is strong enough, she'll go to the doggy dentist to get her teeth cleaned, and I wouldn't be suprised if they want to remove at least one of them.. That dirty little mouth needs some work done! Such pretty girl, yet such smelly breath..

After her diarrhea, which actually got better soon after posting about it, her bum was really dirty, so today I had to do the Bowndry (=Bow-laundry) before giving her flea- and worm treatments. I will post here a few photos of Bow having a bath and after her bath, I've never actually washed a dog in a sink before but hey, it's just so much easier and probably more comfortable for the dog than my big bath tub!
Attached Thumbnails
My foster/rescue, what to expect?? ((loooong text!)-photo-1.jpg   My foster/rescue, what to expect?? ((loooong text!)-photo-3.jpg   My foster/rescue, what to expect?? ((loooong text!)-photo-4.jpg   My foster/rescue, what to expect?? ((loooong text!)-photo-2.jpg  

Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie, Tilly and Secret (Ch Angel's Top Secret of Khanthav)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

Welcome to SM. Bow is just precious. I cried reading her story and looking at her pictures. Thank you for being there to save her.

Many of our SM members have Rescues. Some only have rescues and other have both. It takes time, love, good food, training, etc. for a rescue to trust again, but Maltese are such "people" dogs that they really do want to be near their "people" and they want to please.

It sounds as if she's adjusting well to her new furever life with you and your family.

Lacie, Secret & Tilly
Lacie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

Aww bow your just beautiful!! Hehe welcome to being a Maltese mum I don't think any of us like leaving them!! It's sounds like she is really settling in and beginning to enjoy family life with her adopted siblings!!! It's good to hear her confidence is building up. Her coat is lovely and shiny too!! So glad she is doing better. Small steps will see great progress and incase you don't feel that you are please know you are doing great and really are making good progress with bow!! Everytime I see her I just well up with happiness that this little one found youxx
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gigi
Dog's Name: Lily, Audrey & Storm(y)

Beautiful girl. Welcome to the family of rescues. My three were rescued and I wouldn't have it any other way.

THREE RESCUED ANGELS
gopotsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement