10 Reasons Not To Buy A Puppy From A Pet Store - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lynda
Dog's Name: Chloe, GiGi, Chachi & Katie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudClan View Post
I have been told this, too. But what does it really mean? Where do they get their puppies? They may be talking semantics. What do they consider a puppy mill?

Most folks consider puppy mills commercial breeding operations where profit is the primary motive for breeding. Also, they usually produce puppies in such numbers that they need a third party (or several third parties) to sell the puppies for them.

Ethical breeders ALWAYS sell directly to the "forever-family" themselves. They want to know exactly where their dogs are going and they want to do the screening to match the right home with the right puppy. They want to know that puppy will be in a good place, loved for life and if for any reason the new family can not keep the lifetime commitment, the puppy will be returned to them. So again, there is never a third party making the decisions for dogs they have bred.

Essentially, I think the folks at your local Mall telling you that their puppies do not come from Mills is because they are either liars, or more likely they are simple employees who are uninformed and do not understand. Most Mills do not call themselves Mills. They say they are selling Maltese (and Yorkies and ShihTzu's and Pugs and many more) from their lovely FARM. And of course on their "FARM" they treat these puppies just like livestock. There is no emotional connection and they have not been raised to one day become someone's family member. They are raised the same way that chickens or pigs might be that are destined for the slaughter.

Chloe, GiGi, Chachi & Katie
lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Default Where else?

Honestly I've been looking at pet stores to get my Maltese puppy. I don't known where else to get my puppy less than $800. I don't have a lot of money but I've always wanted a little girl Maltese puppy. And I'm so afraid to buy from classified ads.

I'm very envious of many of you for having such adorable malteses. I use to have Shih tzu & cocker spaniel boys but never the Maltese I've always wanted. So I've recently been looking at pet stores.

The one place I looked at the pet store had a Maltese girl and said
She is a purebred AKC puppy. She is priced at $699 which includes our health guarantee as well as a life and heredity guarantee.

Doesn't that mean its ok? They give a health guarentee. I don't know now. any advice?
dream1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish & Charm (Cloud, Clancy, Clouseau, Cameo & Calypso @ bridge)
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream1004 View Post
Honestly I've been looking at pet stores to get my Maltese puppy. I don't known where else to get my puppy less than $800. I don't have a lot of money but I've always wanted a little girl Maltese puppy. And I'm so afraid to buy from classified ads.

I'm very envious of many of you for having such adorable malteses. I use to have Shih tzu & cocker spaniel boys but never the Maltese I've always wanted. So I've recently been looking at pet stores.

The one place I looked at the pet store had a Maltese girl and said
She is a purebred AKC puppy. She is priced at $699 which includes our health guarantee as well as a life and heredity guarantee.

Doesn't that mean its ok? They give a health guarentee. I don't know now. any advice?
Oh please, read this thread and the others that tell the story of what really is behind the petstore puppies. It is the worst place to go to get any pet. Do you want to support people who breed for pure profit motives and do not care what happens to the parents of the puppies? Here is an example of some of the types of abuse and neglect that go on to breeding dogs in these type of comercial operations:

Saving money is not a good reason to buy from a petstore. Too often you will face medical bills that may mount up throughout the dog's life. So many pet store pups come home sick. And the health guarantee, as this article says means even if you are willing to give back your puppy for the purchase price, the puppy will often pay with their life. Even if you get lucky, and you get a healthy dog from a petstore at a good price you are still perpetuating suffering to the poor animals who are treated like livestock and not raised in loving homes.

If you cannot wait to save the money needed to buy from an ethical breeder consider adopting an older retiree from reputable breeders (who may place beautiful champions after they have been bred a few times) or from rescue. Before I became active in showing, I adopted several Maltese from rescue and have been blessed by each and every one. I also fostered many lovely dogs for rescue groups. It can take time to find the right match, but if you are willing to consider rescue it is a great option.

There are several options, but please do not include any petstore, or classified ads in your search. Not just for the sake of yourself and your puppy, but also for the sake of doing the right for the parents of your puppy, do not support the suffering.

CloudClan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudClan View Post
Oh please, read this thread and the others that tell the story of what really is behind the petstore puppies. It is the worst place to go to get any pet. Do you want to support people who breed for pure profit motives and do not care what happens to the parents of the puppies? Here is an example of some of the types of abuse and neglect that go on to breeding dogs in these type of comercial operations:

Saving money is not a good reason to buy from a petstore. Too often you will face medical bills that may mount up throughout the dog's life. So many pet store pups come home sick. And the health guarantee, as this article says means even if you are willing to give back your puppy for the purchase price, the puppy will often pay with their life. Even if you get lucky, and you get a healthy dog from a petstore at a good price you are still perpetuating suffering to the poor animals who are treated like livestock and not raised in loving homes.

If you cannot wait to save the money needed to buy from an ethical breeder consider adopting an older retiree from reputable breeders (who may place beautiful champions after they have been bred a few times) or from rescue. Before I became active in showing, I adopted several Maltese from rescue and have been blessed by each and every one. I also fostered many lovely dogs for rescue groups. It can take time to find the right match, but if you are willing to consider rescue it is a great option.

There are several options, but please do not include any petstore, or classified ads in your search. Not just for the sake of yourself and your puppy, but also for the sake of doing the right for the parents of your puppy, do not support the suffering.
Carina has made some outstanding points. The reason for not buying from a pet store goes beyond just the puppy to the parents - for every cute puppy in a pet store there is a mom who spends her entire life in a cage having babies. The mom's do not receive medical or dental care and are used as breeding machines until they are done - then they are dumped or sometimes even killed.

The other challenge with a pet store puppy is that they often come home with pneumonia, kennel cough, parasites, or a combination of all of the above. That health guarantee is usually good only at a certain vet and only for a short period of time. Someone I know at work recently bought a cute puppy at a pet store in spite of warnings from several of us. That puppy was sick from the day she brought her home, and the pet store's vet (health guarantee) kept saying that the cough and diarrhea were nothing serious. She finally went to her own vet, and more than $1000 later, the puppy had pneumonia, giardia and coccidia. The puppy didn't survive, and her house had to be disinfected to protect her other dog.

Please save until you can afford a well bred dog or consider adopting from a rescue who has already treated any health problems that might exist.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

I've heard countless horror stories of puppies purchased from pet stores being very ill and the health guarantee is for the specific vet as both Carina & Maggie pointed out. And the quality of care was so poor the dogs were not diagnosed or treated properly. In one case Parvo was brought into the home and other dogs got sick. No saving money there, believe me.

Other horror stories I've heard are puppies bred from genetically unsound parents so the puppy is never a nice puppy from day one. Temperament is something reputable breeders look at when setting up their breeding program.

But the most common thing I'm hearing from pet store puppies is despite the fact they have AKC papers, they are not the breed that their papers say they are.

There is wisdom that will be rewarded greatly by being patient and waiting until you have saved up enough money to purchase a Maltese from a reputable show breeder. It will save you financially in the long run. If you simply cannot wait then look into a retiree. Often the breeder will only charge you the cost of their spay/neuter and dental. Or even better, look into rescue. My middle furkid, Jett, is my rescue from NorthCentral Maltese Rescue and believe me...I hit the jackpot when I got him!!
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Jojo
Dog's Name: Daisy & Cupcake

Excellent post, CloudClan!

Dream1004, please, please, please do not get a puppy from a pet store! Please do research & don't just believe what the pet store is telling you.

I can honestly say that from here on out, I will always adopt from shelters.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie

There is no reason to buy a puppy from a pet store, no matter the price or the adorable face! I, along with many people here on SM, rescued a Maltese puppy from a rescue agency. She is an absolute joy and the best decision I ever made. Please please please don't buy from a pet store!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kaeco510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

A pet store purchase of a puppy mill dog is NEVER, EVER to be considered a "Rescue." This notion is simply just RATIONALIZATION and denial of the owner so that he/she does not feel so bad about what they contributed to.

please understand the terms: rescue, re-home, purchase : they are VERY different in their implications

When you buy a puppy from a pet store or BYB, you only contribute to the vicious cycle of greed.
hoaloha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

I hope people will read the great information in this linked thread. It has very valid warnings and education for those who are thinking of purchasing a puppymill pet-store puppy. Unless the pet store is dedicated to shelter/rescue adoptions, you HAVE to assume that the puppy is from a mill.

New puppy & no experience whatsoever !!!!

Do not let your own ignorance and defensiveness blind you from the horrible greed. we can make a difference even on an INDIVIDUAL basis- no demand for these dogs will translate to no supply. Do your research and learn how to find a true, reputable/ethical breeder (not just ones that claims that they are) and rescue a shelter dog!
hoaloha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper&Dusty; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

Harley's story began 12 years ago when he was born into a puppy mill. Instead of being sold as a puppy in a pet store, he was kept and used as a breeding dog. ...
He lived his entire life in a filthy little wire cage. He never knew a kind touch. He never knew a soft bed. He never knew what it was to run, jump and play. He didn't even know what sunshine was. He lost his eye to a power washer which was used to periodically clean cages. Some of his friends had no eyes. Eyes weren't necessary in the puppy mill.

Two years ago, near death, Harley was rescued. In spite of the emotional and physical damage, Harley now knows how love feels. He has made it his mission to spread the word about puppy mills and save the puppy mill survivors. The following message is from Harley:

"I know many of you think I'm a pretty special, but really I'm just an old mill dog, I'm not the only one. Thousands of dogs right now need to be rescued from puppy mills.