Is it possible to get a good and healthy puppy for $500? - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

I must say, that, while I agree with most of you from a practical standpoint looking back (a responsible grown-up's point of view), I'm very glad I never waited until I could afford a dog to get one. Or until I was on my own. I bought my first dog with babysitting money at age 16 and he was my baby. He went everywhere with me. When I met my husband, we went on doggie dates. When I got married, he came with me. When I had a baby, he lay on the baby blanket. He was my first 'baby'. Could I afford expensive food and doggie supplies? No. Could I afford vet care? Not really but I managed somehow. When I shopped for my first apartment, their pet policy was my first priority. It CAN be done. And I'm so glad I didn't wait until I could 'afford' it. If I had, my first dog would have been at age 40.

And by the way, my son has a lab and is in college. She goes everywhere with him that he can take her. She waits patiently at his apartment when she can't. It CAN work.

I'm just saying don't paint everyone with the same brush and discourage this girl completely. Not everyone will ditch their pet at the first opportunity.

I say she should apply at a rescue and let them tell her if she has a proper home for a maltese. (Although I'm very glad no one screened me when I bought my first puppy.)
missalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by missalita View Post
I must say, that, while I agree with most of you from a practical standpoint looking back (a responsible grown-up's point of view), I'm very glad I never waited until I could afford a dog to get one. Or until I was on my own. I bought my first dog with babysitting money at age 16 and he was my baby. He went everywhere with me. When I met my husband, we went on doggie dates. When I got married, he came with me. When I had a baby, he lay on the baby blanket. He was my first 'baby'. Could I afford expensive food and doggie supplies? No. Could I afford vet care? Not really but I managed somehow. When I shopped for my first apartment, their pet policy was my first priority. It CAN be done. And I'm so glad I didn't wait until I could 'afford' it. If I had, my first dog would have been at age 40.

And by the way, my son has a lab and is in college. She goes everywhere with him that he can take her. She waits patiently at his apartment when she can't. It CAN work.

I'm just saying don't paint everyone with the same brush and discourage this girl completely. Not everyone will ditch their pet at the first opportunity.

I say she should apply at a rescue and let them tell her if she has a proper home for a maltese. (Although I'm very glad no one screened me when I bought my first puppy.)
Me too...back in the good old days. There is no right or wrong. We try to eliminate puppy mills and discourage what we label as back yard breeders. In the end you find your loving dog however you find him or her. If it happens that you get an eight week old puppy from an a person who has two dogs that they love and thought they should breed...well, like ain't perfect...kiss your puppy and let's just celebrate.

So many of us Malt moms are mature women who now have the time and money to devote to our dogs...but guess what...we were young once and we had dogs who we loved with all our hearts who came from ...sigh I don't know where. Maybe our experience with carelessly bred dogs has led to heartbreak we want to save our fellows from enduring. I have some mixed emotions ...confused emotions...but all I really feel that if you have the love to give...that is the number one ingredient...with love you can do anything.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish, Charm & Cricket
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Just to add to the discussion on age. I got my precious Cloud when I was 18 and in college. Yes, I had the support of my folks to help me at the time. But honestly, I think every situation is different. I am so very grateful that Cloud came into my life, especially at that time. We shared so much in the nearly 16 years we had together.

I don't think being 18 should be the factor to discourage anyone from getting a dog if that person is ready to be responsible and to love their animal. For sure, in my rescue work I saw plenty of people who were at an age when they should have been old enough to be responsible who weren't. Again, it is very individual.

Please do not get your dog from a BYB or Mill. I say this not because of the finances of the decision but because it is so important not to support these folks. There are too many out there who do not care properly for their dogs and it just perpetuates the suffering of those poor animals.

Rescue is a great avenue. I have had several beautiful animals that came through rescue. So is working with a good breeder for a retiree. The alternatives are out there. Good luck in your search.

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper;Dusty&Ozzy; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudClan View Post
Just to add to the discussion on age. I got my precious Cloud when I was 18 and in college. Yes, I had the support of my folks to help me at the time. But honestly, I think every situation is different. I am so very grateful that Cloud came into my life, especially at that time. We shared so much in the nearly 16 years we had together.

I don't think being 18 should be the factor to discourage anyone from getting a dog if that person is ready to be responsible and to love their animal. For sure, in my rescue work I saw plenty of people who were at an age when they should have been old enough to be responsible who weren't. Again, it is very individual.

Please do not get your dog from a BYB or Mill. I say this not because of the finances of the decision but because it is so important not to support these folks. There are too many out there who do not care properly for their dogs and it just perpetuates the suffering of those poor animals.

Rescue is a great avenue. I have had several beautiful animals that came through rescue. So is working with a good breeder for a retiree. The alternatives are out there. Good luck in your search.

I have (and have had) a rescue and a retiree...I will never get a dog another way. Best experiences of my life.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

I was the same way and I just got mine for free from a woman who was moving and could not keep her dog!!
ashleyannewells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

I was 19 and Al was 26 when we got our first dog...

We got our first cocker spaniel, Max, when when we were engaged, Max stayed at Al's place and I'd go to take care of him during the day when Al slept..he worked nights. Max stayed alone at night but Al left the keys with a trusted neighbour to look in on him until we got married a couple months later...

A after we got married Al got me Buffy,another cocker when I was diagnosed with cancer. She and Max were the perfect medicine for sure....

We had a series of breeds through out the years,due to my volunteering at shelters and we lived in the country so people would dump fluffs of all flavours on us...

We never really knew about Malts,since we lived in a very rural area,wasn't until we traveled for business that we saw them...

We chose cockers because Al's mom always wanted one but couldn't afford it.
We were in tough times, I was going through cancer treatments ans we lived in a trailer,barely scraping by but somehow we managed to feed our fluffs.

I'm not advocating irresponsibility in dog ownership...we made sure we had money for the fluffs,no matter what. A pet is a financial outlay, true. As long as they have good quality food,with one tiny Malt that should be too bad, you can get 18 pounds of high quality dog food for $40 and it will last a couple months or more easily.
I bought Rylee a 30 pound bag of Wellness puppy (for his joints), lasted him over 8 months...
If you can save $40 per month in a vet fund,those big bills won't be so burdensom...

It can be done, we didn't wait until we were financially well off but we did save and build a little money back before hand...for planning.

Al was working a pretty low paying job,then got laid off for three months,then was back 6 months and had surgery that put him off for another two months.

I guess people on forum, we get a bit sensative about these situations since we've probably all had someone come up to us and say,"we can't afford our dog" and want to give it away... only to find out the dog was cutting into their fun money..not like they were laid off or lost their home...

Whatever your decision,we stand behind you and we're here if you need us...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #27 (permalink)

Name: Victoria
Dog's Name: Albi

Yes it is possible to get a healthy puppy for under $500. I bought Abli from a responsible person that wasn't a breeder but was a loving dog owner. He cared a lot about his dogs and even told me that if I ever needed, for some reason, to get rid of the dog that he would rather me call him and give the dog back to him than put him in the pound. He went out of his way to help me with any questions that I might of had. He was just all together awesome!!!
victoriamukhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Yes, of course. Sometimes you are blessed. You just need to know all the possibilities...pros, cons, traps and all. Then you need to make an EDUCATED decision, based on what you need. I think you did that and found your "all together awesome" pooch. Now, you MUST (please) post a picture and share your joy.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #29 (permalink)

I'm new here, and I just rescued/rehomed a lovely little girl. She is 6 months old, and it sort of fell in my lap from the feelers I had put out there. I met her first family, and they couldn't keep her due to landlord chaning his mind, but I paid a fair price around what you're looking to spend, she came with all of her papers, shots papers, and had just recently been checked out by the vet in August. It's possible, however, it's going to take some homework on your part. I've been very warmly welcomed here, and I'm sure if you would be willing to get a rescue or rehomed Maltese that the lovely people here would point you in the direction of folks who precisely that or who have the hard-luck situation that brought Azurebelle to me.

You don't mention where you live, but another good spot I would imagine would be calling actual reputable breeders in your area, explaining your situation and requesting that they keep you in mind in the event they hear of anyone who needs to rehome or even if they happen to have a baby who is not show or breeding material, and I remember this from when I got my Wolfgang. He was a yorkie but at 3.5 pounds the breeder just couldn't see putting him though the rigors of showing, etc., and I seem to recollect he was also under the "legal" size. Forgive me this was almost, what, 14 years ago now, but the point was he couldn't be shown even though he was technically perfect, just very tiny. Also, as it turns out Wolfie had a mind of his own and probably wouldn't have taken too well to being told what to do and was known to go tearing out of a room on rails and run around like top for 10 minutes for no other reason than he basically felt like it, so there. That said, I acquired Wolfie for $1000 because of this fact which was about half of what she would have sold him for if he was to go to a show home or to a home where he would be a stud, neither of which I was inclined to participate in because I believe that both things should be left to the experts, especially breeding. When you're dealing with microminiature puppies you're opening yourself up to a whole hornets nest of potential complications.

The above said, it is possible to find a baby for $500, I'm sure of it, especially given my own experience with Azurebelle, who came home this morning and past experiences. Just be patient, and do your legwork. Get on the phone call the National outfit for Maltese get a list of reputable breeders within driving distance and start calling and putting a bug in their ear, maybe send some cookies with a thank you note for their time because remember these folks are busy especially if they are actively on the show circuit. Any time they give you, be grateful for because they're the ones who can help you find your baby and then educate you if you need immediate answers and there's no one online here to ask. If you're sincere about your love and commitment, I can't imagine anyone would turn you away and you never know what happenstance may turn out that that person is the person who points you in the direction of your baby or actually provides a way for you to get what you're looking for.

Lastly, when you speak to people, maybe suggest that you would be willing to do a layaway plan on a future planned litter. I know with my Yorkie connection she had it planned down to the exact months of the year. Possibly very anal, or maybe just crazy organized, but it would seem to me if you found someone that plans their situations like that you can offer to do a layaway for the weeks before the birth and up to the point when you can come and choose one, that's what I did with Wolfie during his mother's pregnancy up until the day I took her my last payment and brought him home.

Again, I'm new here, I may be talking out of turn but it is what I did and had Azurebelle not been too good to pass up, it's probably what I would be doing right now. That's not to say there isn't another Yorkie in my future sometime because assuredly there will be, but for now he's still a little twinkle of thought in the little minds of his mom and dad somewhere in the ether and for now I have my Azurebelle, my Freeway and the Screamer, uh, wait, no that's not right, and Tikki...

Suz aka Sami
Freeway, Tikki and Azurebelle's Mommy, and Eternal Mommy to Theodore E. Bear and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, who have gone to play on the other side of the rainbow bridge.

Last edited by SamiPix; 10-17-2012 at 05:00 AM.
SamiPix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

18 is probably the WORST age to get a dog at, much less a PUPPY... I can relate though, my parents didn't get me a dog til I was 16... 4 years later and I was off to college, missing my pup needless to say, it was my parents' dog, not mine. I was more of a sister to Tiger than a mommy!! I alwasy have resented my parents' selfishness in getting themselves a dog rather than their kids.

But anyways, I did not get my own dog until I was 26 aka I was ready to settle down and had already been settled down (living with my bf, working, not partying, etc.) and was okay with the fact that I would have to always come home to let him out and not go out and do my own thing, etc.

Think HARD about that... you will not get to go straight form work/class to have drinks with your friends, you ahve a dog that needs to be let out. 18 is not only when you officially become an adult, it's when you open your eyes to the world in a whole new way and find out who you REALLY are. It is probably the worst time to be tied down with a dog IMO.... just think very hard about if now is the right time.

And definitely rescue... that way you don't ahve to deal with puppy issues... of course, it may have baggage, but I will always advocate rescue dogs over even a reputable breeder. Sorry, just how I feel.

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement