Is it possible to get a good and healthy puppy for $500? - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Just from your saying that you don't want to buy a puppy from a pet store, puppy mill or BYB tells me that you are smart enough to know how to make a responsible decision. How many 18-year-olds even think that far when they want something?

As for your mother, I don't know her, but please don't harbor unpleasant feelings about her for not getting you one earlier. Maybe she's just not a pet-person and she can't help how she feels. Or maybe she knew she would wind up being the person who would end up doing most of the care...potty training, taking to the vet, etc and wasn't wanting to do that. I know most kids say at first they will do all the feeding, taking outside, cleaning up after, etc, but after the newness wears off, it's usually the mom who ends up doing it all. As for the cost, there are a lot of people out there who think people are crazy if they spend even $200 on an animal. In my opinion (and I'm sure most of the people on here would agree with me), those people just don't understand. I know my husband probably thought I'd lost my mind when I told him how much it would cost to get a Maltese even though he went in on half of the cost with me anyway to get Leila. What I'm saying is your mother may not realize what it cost the breeder just to get the puppies to the age that they're old enough to go to their forever homes. Maybe if you could educate her by getting all the information on that that you can for her. Another thing about your mom is most mothers know their children better than they know themselves and she may have felt that even though YOU thought you were ready for a puppy, she knew what all is involved in raising one and that you weren't ready for that and in order to keep from hurting you by just saying no, she tried to just keep putting you off. Be thankful for your mom...it's better that she did put you off with the excuses than to have given in, it not work out, and a puppy wind up who knows where.

As for the cost of the puppy...the cost does not end when you buy one. Call the vet and ask about the costs of all the exams, shots, deworming, spay/neuter, flea & heartworm prevention/treatment, etc. It's not cheap! Not even including all that for Leila, I have only had her a couple of months and have spent well over $1000.00 on her already. Granted, there are a lot of things she didn't need but I wanted them for her and I can afford it. Are you going to be ok with a puppy if you can't afford to spoil it? Also, even if you get one from a reputable breeder, there are still some things that can happen beyond anyone's control that can cost thousands of dollars at the vet. Keep reading on here about some of the health problems people have had. I would highly recommend buying pet insurance if you can't afford to pay the bills should something happen. And even then, the insurance doesn't cover 100%. I could go on and on about some of the accidents puppies I've known of that have cost friends/family thousands to perfectly healthy puppies/dogs. No one saw it coming and they are good mommies/daddies, but accidents can and do happen even when you're careful in trying to prevent them. What would you do if your puppy got sick or hurt? This breed can live for many years if healthy and nothing happens to them. Are you up for this kind of commitment? If you want to go on a trip with your friends or family and can't take your puppy, do you have someone who can take care of it for you?

I'm not trying to talk you out of it if you truly want a Maltese puppy and are really ready...just trying to show you it's not just the cost and the expense doesn't stop there. If you do really want one, are ready for one, and can afford all it takes to raise one, I do wish you the best. I don't think you're going to find one from a reputable breeder under $500 unless it's older, but you never know. I knew of one who practically gave away her last litter of Yorkies for $300 because of some unexpected financial problems. Granted, that doesn't usually happen but it can.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

Mia is 2 1/2 years old and was gotten from a reputable breeder after they used her as a breeder for awhile. I believe my neighbor paid $300 for her and she is wonderful. Even with all she's been through the last few months...changing owners twice...she has settled in nicely with us and has bonded well. She's house broken, is getting along with our three cats and is just wonderful. There is a lot to be said for an older dog...puppied are cute, but Malts keep that cuteness into adulthood...I think anyway...
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melissa Martinez
Dog's Name: Paislee and Rustee Wallace

Sorry didnt know this was so old!

Last edited by *Missy*; 01-06-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Realized this was pretty old
*Missy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement