My first Maltese puppy - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish & Charm (Cloud, Clancy, Clouseau, Cameo & Calypso @ bridge)
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Quote:
Is it safe to assume the maltese breeders on the American Kennel Club website are good as well? I see cynthia is on both the AMA and AKC, but other than that the two lists (AMA and AKC) are very different.
No it isn't safe to assume the ones on the AKC site are good. AKC is a registry. They have put in place a few rules that make many of the largest puppymill groups avoid using them as a registry, but that does not keep BYB or even some of the mill dogs from being AKC registered. AKC registration is all that is required to be listed on the AKC website for a litter. Now, they do have a few tools to screen. You can see if the person listing is a member of either the AMA or other breed clubs. You can also see if someone is listed as a Breeder of Merit on the AKC site. Both of these are positive signs (not foolproof, but helpful).

AMA is better. Everyone who is in the AMA list had to be sponsored by other AMA members and at the time of their application they had to have a home visit. They also have to agree to the Code of Ethics. Are all AMA members equal? No. And personally, I think there are a lot of degrees between the worst breeders and the most ethical ones. Everyone has to kind of determine based on their own values what is important to them. Doing this it is great to explore this site and look for questions you might have for the breeder. Also, it is important to note that not all AMA members are on the AMA list. Some choose not to pay the extra fee to be on the breeder list.

Also, I have several friends who I think are wonderful breeders who are not AMA members at all.

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I know it's such a maze. Your best bet would be to research online. Before I got Gustave I googled Cynthia Landry obsessively. This forum is a great resource, as was Yorkie Talk since a lot of maltese breeders do both. And results from both these forums show up on running a google search.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

I don't have first hand experience with Cindy Landry but a friend of mine bought a little girl from her a year or two ago and couldn't be happier. I have also spoken to Cindy on the phone several times for different reasons and she was so nice and friendly, i also asked her grooming tips since her dogs are gorgeous! I'm totally in love with her dog Ladybug.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

If you haven't heard from some of the southern california breeders, there is a 4 day show in Indio going on right now and I know Cindy has been very busy at this show! I believe she has puppies right now too so if you don't hear from her right away, just keep trying!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

If you haven't made contact yet, you should really consider coming to the dog show in Ventura on 1/19. It's a great way to meet mulitple breeders in one place and actually see the dogs they are showing. I plan on going, and quite a few friends will be there. You can see our 'pet quality " dogs up close. You will see the difference between the site you were checking out. Those are not good representations of the breed. The show is at Seaside Park (fairgrounds) So close to Santa Barbara. PM me if you want to come. I can give you more details of where to meet us!

Please donate to GME reseach.
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

I just want to thank you all for the information and help. My wife and I brought our new puppy home on Sunday. His name is tuscan and I have pictures but none I can link to right now so I'll work on that.
Thanks Again!
jxexbxuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Pippa, Cozette & Tiffany

I also got a puppy from Cynthia Landry-- my Pippa that you can see down below. She has a darling personality and has been the best addition to our family! And Cindy was great to work with, very knowledgeable and always available for my questions. Pippa has the most gorgeous coat and a beautiful face; I'm totally in love with her!

I'm also going to be at the Ventura dogshow, so you can see Pippa up close!

ETA: Whoops, I guess I started my response before you posted about Tuscan but was called away before I finished it-- where did you get him from?

Last edited by socalyte; 01-09-2013 at 03:20 PM.
socalyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Hello From Pa-Sorry I Cant Help In Your Area But I Can Tell You Check All Of These Sites Carefully The One You Mentioned--WOW Red Flags All THe Way Like The SM members told you.

Its Such A Shame We have so much love to give/and its so hard for us. I Found Yogi in my hometown I Was lucky. But While looking for a lil brother for him--the scams came at me left and right. best wishes and good luck--Yogi's Mom

Ps--Since i cant find a lil brother i got yogi this!!!

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Congratulations! Where did you get him?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement