My first Maltese puppy - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My first Maltese puppy

Hello,
I live in Santa barbara, CA with with my wife and our amazing yorkie-poo Bella. We are looking to add to our family and we think a maltese would be a wonderful addition. We are having troubles finding a breeder near by and would love some suggestions for breeders in california and even breeders in other states. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
jxexbxuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

You're in luck. There are so many great breeders in CA.

I got Gustave from Cynthia Landry. Her website is scruffystoys, look it up! She is a great, ethical breeder and lives in Phelan, close to Palmdale (not very far from Santa Barbara).

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Hi and welcome! There is a dog show in Ventura in a few weeks (Jan 19 and 20th) at the fairground - that would be a really good opportunity to meet breeders, depending on how big the entry is. Good luck with your search!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the information. I have contacted Cynthia Landry and will look into the dog show. I'm also open to any other suggestions for breeders.

thanks again.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Hey and welcome! I think a Maltese is a perfect addition and wish I had gotten one years ago!! My Leila is almost 6 months old and already, I can't imagine life without her. I can't help you with finding a breeder there since I live in the southeast, but looks like you've been given some ideas on where to start. Good luck on finding your new baby! Keep us posted and share pics when you find her/him.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hello, I'm hoping for a second or third opinion on this breeder.
We talked to her and she seems legit, but seeing as we are new to this I don't know how much I can trust my gut. Here is some information on her and some information she sent us.

KayDee's Maltese and Yorkies
Adorable, Quality Toy Maltese and Yorkie Puppies
Kd's Maltese and Yorkies - Home

part of email:
All of our babies are AKC registered and come with a FREE Puppy Starter Kit, which includes, food, vitamin supplements, treats, a toy, piddle pad and lots of instructions and a FREE Vet Exam!!

We have two little female Maltese babies that will be ready to go within approximately the next 7-10 days. They are $1095 and $1195 each. One is expected to mature to approx. 6.5-7.5lbs and the smaller is expected to mature to approx. 5-6lbs. We currently have one deposit for first choice, but there are two and they are equally as adorable!

Due to the fact that we offer a health guarantee, we don't show the babies in person until they are ready to go, which means they have had two sets of shots. We do that to protect them from outside diseases being brought in and to help ensure their optimum health when they go home!
[This part seemed like a possible red flag; is this reasonable]

All of our babies are very well socialized, playful, sweet, smart, alert and loving. Our babies come with current vaccinations and worming. They also come with a 1 yr. health guarantee against life-threatening hereditary diseases

thank you for any insight you can provide.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would stay clear. There are no such thing as tcup Maltese and yorkies, which is advertised on her site. Yes I would say them not showing them in person is a red flag. They also don't give any info on the parents.
lyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxexbxuxs View Post
Hello, I'm hoping for a second or third opinion on this breeder.
We talked to her and she seems legit, but seeing as we are new to this I don't know how much I can trust my gut. Here is some information on her and some information she sent us.

KayDee's Maltese and Yorkies
Adorable, Quality Toy Maltese and Yorkie Puppies
Kd's Maltese and Yorkies - Home

part of email:
All of our babies are AKC registered and come with a FREE Puppy Starter Kit, which includes, food, vitamin supplements, treats, a toy, piddle pad and lots of instructions and a FREE Vet Exam!!

We have two little female Maltese babies that will be ready to go within approximately the next 7-10 days. They are $1095 and $1195 each. One is expected to mature to approx. 6.5-7.5lbs and the smaller is expected to mature to approx. 5-6lbs. We currently have one deposit for first choice, but there are two and they are equally as adorable!

Due to the fact that we offer a health guarantee, we don't show the babies in person until they are ready to go, which means they have had two sets of shots. We do that to protect them from outside diseases being brought in and to help ensure their optimum health when they go home!
[This part seemed like a possible red flag; is this reasonable]

All of our babies are very well socialized, playful, sweet, smart, alert and loving. Our babies come with current vaccinations and worming. They also come with a 1 yr. health guarantee against life-threatening hereditary diseases

thank you for any insight you can provide.
I would stay away from this breeder! I am from so Cal and this is a Backyard breeder (and an overpriced one at that!) Take a look at the AMA (American Maltese association) website for a list of reputable breeders by state. There are many in Cali

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you, that was my feeling the more I thought about it. I have contacted a couple from the AMA website and I am waiting for responses from some of them.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is it safe to assume the maltese breeders on the American Kennel Club website are good as well? I see cynthia is on both the AMA and AKC, but other than that the two lists (AMA and AKC) are very different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement