Looking for an older puppy/retiree - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for an older puppy/retiree

Sadly, I did not adopt the maltese I originally posted about. I did visit the puppy, he was so skinny scared and sick looking. He desperately needs a loving home that has experience dealing with BYB puppies in that condition, which I do not have.

So, I am looking for a breeder around North GA or one who ships. Looking for an affectionate, calm, older/retiree. I am not interested in a very young puppy.

I did email unforgettable maltese, but she did not have one available.

Thank you!

Last edited by Lovespink; 01-04-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Lovespink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie & Lisa "Left Eye"

My rescue Ozzie is a retired breeder (but possibly from a BY but the rescue organization did not think he was mistreated, though who knows... I would say he is what you described, but was only a couple years old when I adopted him

I found him off PetFinder.com, but I'm sure you have already checked it out for your area The next place I would look is the AMA website for lists of breeders and seeing if any of them have some retirees. I'm not sure, but I am not sure they would transport a rescue, though I do not know. I'm sure some other folks here can steer you in the right direction

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

Just a few days ago I saw that Tonia at rhapsody maltese in texas had a couple of female retirees. she does ship. She is on the AMA list if memory serves me correct and is very active in showing.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've checked pet finder and the "maltese" in my area are not very maltese like (and even those are very few!).
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Diamond Maltese vs ILovitt Maltese
Anyone have any info on these? I'm very interested in both!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

I have heard so many wonderful things about ILovitt . Wish I could remember which SM'rs have used them. I know there are several who have and were VERY pleased. Do a SM search with Ilovitt and you'll find lots of info.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Leah
Dog's Name: Ari

I live in Ga and found my Ari by calling on breeders to see if they had any retirees available. Ari is 3 years old and is as sweet as sugar, healthy, registered, and to me perfect in every way. I talk to the breeder atleast once a month because she calls and checks in on him. However, he would be considered being breed from a BYB. I had no idea what a BYB was until this site but again. That's for a different thread... I was referred to Ari Breeder by a friend of a friend that had purchased a Maltese from the her. Good word of mouth can also be a way to find pups that need good homes.. Even if the breeder doesn't have anything available they may know someone who does. I also want to add even though Ari was older I still had to pay a hefty sum for him! However he was worth every penny! I will also put some feelers out for you if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Where in North Georgia are you? I have an aunt who lives on the eastern part and a friend who lives on the western part. I could check with them to see if they know of anyone. Just send me a message and I will check.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

While you're waiting/looking, you could also put in a search on adoptapet.com. Just put in what you are looking for and they will alert you if a dog becomes available within a certain radius of your area. That's how I found Lucy. At the time there were really very few "little fluffy" dogs in my area. She was adopted straight from a shelter, was a stray picked up by animal control. She was in bad physcial shape, but I could tell by the way that she reacted to us that she loved humans and wanted to please us. I really lucked out with her because she was obviously owned and loved at sometime in the past. She took to being with us like a duck to water. However, you could limit yourself to dogs that are currently in rescue groups, and are being fostered. That way you'll have a better idea of what you're getting. (The first few nights with Lucy at home, I was very frankly nervous and afraid I had made a mistake. It only took a few more days though to discover that I had made a great choice. But in some ways I think I lucked out. I was ready and willing though to deal with whatever came up.)
Anyway, while you are looking for a retired dog, you might just throw in a search to adoptapet.com--you never know when exactly the dog you're looking for will pop up. They will e-mail you. You might also put in poodle and other breeds that maltese are often mixed with. Lucy was listed as a "poodle mix" and she very well may be, but her dominant breed is definitely Maltese.
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie, Tilly and Secret (Ch Angel's Top Secret of Khanthav)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

I was going to suggest Rhapsody Maltese too as I know she has some teenagers that are between 1-2 years of age -- both males and females.

Lacie, Secret & Tilly

Last edited by Lacie's Mom; 01-06-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Lacie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement