Female or Male? Good Breeders? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Hello And Welcome-So Glad to hear you are wanting a lil maltese.
Everybody is right--no matter what you get--you are going to fall in LOVE!!!--I Have A Boy--10mo old--This Little guy is wacky and i love it. he never stops,tons of fun. He show me so much love.

I Really like a little girl also. Look At Yogi my Boy--He Said Hed Like If I Got A Girl to!!! He Has A Blue snuggit to.
No Matter What You Will Get-Your Life will change--and this is the place,to learn all you will need to be a good furbaby mommy

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Ooh I love my boy, but I wouldn't put a dress or frilly coats on him! So if that's what you're wanting then you should wait. But if that's not a deal breaker then I can promise you'll love a boy. That to me would be the biggest consideration, both are wonderful as far as personality. I think a lot of that just comes down to the individual dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Pipper is a male and he didn't get lazy after being neutered. He's a very busy little guy who just wants to play play and play. Once he gets tired then he just wants to lay on my lap to sleep or snuggle up against me as close as he can get. There is nothing like a maltese! I just love him so much!!!!!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have both male and female. Initially, I wanted a girl so I put deposit down on her. When I went to pick her up, I saw the tiny precious boy that I ended up getting two and love both of them to death. I think as others have shared, you can't go wrong with either gender when it comes to malteses. I think what makes up their personality has a lot to do with their breeder and how you interact with them once you get them. You need to make sure that they are well socialized and properly trained. Both my dogs are are affectionate but my boy is the demanding one. When he wants you to pet him, he will come to you to so that he can be held. When you are holding him, he will give you none stop kisses until you stroke his head. He will lean towards your body as he rests his head on your body. But when he wants to be alone, he will sit on the opposite side of the couch and want to just go to sleep. He doesn't cuddle near you when he sleeps. My girl on the other hand loves to be held too but waits until you come and carry her. She doesn't demand to be held like my boy does. However, she always likes to be with me all the time. She loves to sit on my lap at all times if I let her. She likes to have her body touching me somehow even when she is sleeping. I think that not all girls or boys behave this way. It's each individual thing.

One thing that is different though is the clothing. There are so many cute clothes to dress up the girls and not as many for the boys. Also, many clothing is not good for the boys because sometimes their pee get on the clothes unless the belly area on the clothes are short. Also, if you like putting bows on dog's hair, I would get a girl. when I put a bow on the boy's hair, i get an earful from many guys saying that it is just not right. However, if you don't care about this, then either one is great. Best of luck to you whichever one you decide. You may end up getting both like me at some point. It's great having both since they keep each other company when I am work and also you get best of both worlds!

Last edited by SweetMalteseAngels; 01-17-2013 at 11:52 AM.
SweetMalteseAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Isabel
Dog's Name: Coby

Wow, all this information is so helpful! Super glad I joined the site it seems like such great support. I think I see that it all depends on the very dog. I'm looking forward to Sunday when we get to visit! The breeder doesn't know yet if the pups will even be for placement yet but we are still aloud to visit them. I'll report back how it went
isabelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Good luck on your visit. Its going to be so much fun! Puppies are adorable.It really is a joy to see the puppies with their parents. My favorite memory is of the breeder bring out the puppies first and then the mom later. The puppies were lazy and just kinda sat there and slowly sniffed us when he brought them out first. I think the breeder could see I was a little concerned so he brought the mom out to interact with them. Soon it was puppy madness! The puppies were jumping around, climbing on us, and chasing their mom. This was before they were ready to leave the mom. They still had to stay with her for another 3 weeks.

I actual avoided going to visit male only litters (females always seem to go first in a litter so I was too late several times) when I wanted a female because I knew I would be very very weak in the face of cuteness. Boys are equally as cute and I could have easily gone home with one if he was right in front of me. My decision wasn't based upon the personality of males vs females since I believe there are too many exceptions to that rule and personality is an individual dog trait. My decision on what gender to get was based upon two things:

1. Marking/Peeing- lol I didn't want a dog that could aim higher than the ground. Since small dogs tend to be harder to potty train, I rather not have to wash walls or furniture. Floors are enough for me. This was a huge factor for me. I also admit that I am not a big fan of the extra bit being very obvious when they are shaved.

2. Accessories- I just adore girly things. Even though the dogs don't care, I couldn't put up with a bunch of strange looks for giving my boy dog a dress.

I ended up going with a girl and I don't regret choosing her. I adore her. She loves to snuggle and follow people around. She is an attention hog and will act like everyone is her best friend. I really like that about her. I always wanted a dog that other people could enjoy. Some people say females don't bond as closely and are independent, but I know she adores me. She just doesn't fear other people and has a curiosity that is so much fun to watch. But these traits are all probably based upon her individual personality, being socialized young, and having a good breeder that picked the parents for that trait (her mom was big snuggle bug too, her mom actually sat on my lap to get away from her pups and get some petting from me, and then went to her owner for more snuggles). I doubt her being female has much to do with it.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have never had a female maltese, but originally I wanted a girl. The breeder I got my maltese from only had boys left, but I fell in love with my sweet Toby instantly. I would get another boy in a heartbeat but my husband says one is enough lol. I got my male maltese neutered at about 6 months and it didn't change his energy level any. He loves to play and snuggle and as far as the potty issues with males, he never did get the leg lifting thing since we neutered him at 6 months. He's 2 1/2 and still squats to pee and is housetrained. We love him to death!
Haley28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement