Female or Male? Good Breeders? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Isabel
Dog's Name: Coby
Heart Female or Male? Good Breeders?

Hi!

While looking into our very first Maltese fluff, we came across a breeder we really liked here in Ontario. The thing when we called is for now, all she has is little males, and the next litter may be in a while. When we talked to her she said the difference from male and female in some dogs is obvious, but Maltese is not that different. We had our heart sets on a female but don't want to wait so long? Does anybody have experience with both and have a preference? Any input on if a boy is just as good is great I also heard that after being neutred some boys get lazy and lay around, where as girls after spaying still stay energetic and fun. Is this just a myth or true?

Also if anybody knows of any other reliable breeders in Ontario that we could look into to find a female would be great

SO excited for our first baby
isabelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

There are dozens of threads on the subject. I suggest you enter "male vs female" in the forum search box and read through some of those threads.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

I predict that you will fall madly in love with whomever you bring home.

That said, some people tend to be more girl-dog people while others are boy-dog people; and then there are some who are happy with both. Personally, I am a girl dog person. I can't really explain it, I just am.

While I do believe you would madly love your little boy maltese, if you have your heart set on a little girl, I would wait to find her. The best analogy I can give you is when I went shopping for a new Caravan in dark blue. The local sales lot had none in dark blue and did their best to sell me the very pretty gold van they had on the lot. The gold was very pretty and I would have loved it. However, I also knew every single time I passed a dark blue Caravan I would be wistful and STILL wish I had a dark blue Caravan, despite loving my gold one. I waited and purchased a blue and have never regretted sticking to my guns

If you decide to bring home the little boy fluff who you will certainly adore, will you still wistfully wish you had a little girl fluff? If not, bring home the boy! But you know yourself and if you will still be wistful for a girl, maybe you should keep looking for her.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

I think it really is a matter of preference and luck. Some girls are a handful while others are not. We have a female Malt and she's a precious little cutie. We had a boy who was a mixed breed (he was 15 when he passed away) and he was hands down the best dog we have ever had. I guess the bottom line is they all have there own personality regardless of whether they are female or male. Best wishes on your search .

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

We are fortunate to have both- a male-Zoey who is 6 and Daisy who is 3. They are without a doubt the most amazing little creatures. I love them both dearly. Zoey is a little older so he doesn't so excited about playing ball or playing tag with his sisters but when one of us -Mommie or Daddy comes in the door-you would think that he is still a puppy!! Running, barking, twirling around on his back feet and tugging on your leg to be picked up and loved on. Daisy is happy about EVERYTHING! She runs at the drop of a hat, chasing her tail, the cats and anything else that moves.. Yhey are both wonderful. Both of them have a wardrobe--sweaters, jackets, bows--Daisy has dresses, t-shirts, skirts, a bikini and anything else you can imagine! I highly recommend either the male or female because once you have held your furbaby for 10 seconds you will be IN LOVE and nothing else will matter. Congratulations to the furparents-to-be!!!
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Isabel
Dog's Name: Coby

Thanks! Wow all that very helpful! I guess we will wait until we see this weekend and see what it's like! Daisy's mommy that another thing, we were looking forward to having bows and little cute girly coats for when it's cold outside since it snows here, and I don't think a boy would love a pink coat. But we're definitely not going to base it on that if we love him that will be it! So excited to go this weekend and test the little fluffs out They're only 7 weeks now.
isabelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

I loved my Lady and always assumed that I would get another girl when I lost her. It just didn't feel right to get another girl as Lady was still (and will always be) my little girl so I got a boy this time. I just adore having a boy! Bailey is the happiest, most social little guy ever. If I decided to get another one, it would be very hard to choose between the two sexes.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

How exciting to be choosing a puppy! Congratulations!
I have two also, a boy and a girl, both a little over a year old.
There are definitely differences in their personalities, but I don't think it is a boy/girl thing. I think it is just different personalities.
They are both full of energy and like to play constantly. There was no difference at all in activity level after Max was neutered. Daisy is full of fun, happy as can be, and always busy. Max is also happy and likes to play, but not quite as extreme as Crazy Daisy. He can be a little snuggle bug sometimes, whereas she is always up to something.
I think that all Maltese have sweet and loving personalities so you really can't go wrong. To me, the big difference is clothing. As you said, many more options for girls! But there are clothes and bows for boys too.
I bet that you will know once you meet them. If your heart melts, it is meant to be. If not, you will know it is better to wait a little while. It is definitley worth waiting if it just isn't right, especially if it is a breeder that you like.
Good luck with the seach! Have fun!

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Claire
Dog's Name: Ta-Jon's Blazin Hot Firecracker

Dear Isabel,
I feel very qualified to answer your questions. I have had 5 Maltese, all but one have been females; never ever wanted a male - don't care for the little faucet on the tummy. Loved each and every one of my precious females with all my heart - still do and miss them terribly.

Then, by a set of unforseen circumstances, suddenly I agreed to take a 8 mo old neutered male Maltese due to health issues by the owner of only 10 days before she suffered severe health issues and couldn't keep him. He's from a great breeder whom I've gotten 2 of my Maltese.

Let me tell you, I'm still eating crow - he's been mine for almost 20 months now and he's marvelous. He's the first dog I've ever had that actually played with toys, so he has a huge amount of them now. He's full of personality, very smart, active, but cuddly at the same time. He's my shadow all the time.

My females were more sedate, they slept alot, didn't play with toys. I loved them dearly but I must say, if I ever got another Maltese, it just might be a male again.
And....his little faucet is so tiny, it's no consideration.

It was fun to buy girlie things, bows, little pink coats, stuff like that for my precious females. I didn't put them in dresses so that wasn't an issue. I have a few little shirts for my male, Blaze but he doesn't wear them often since he has long hair and clothing tends to matt him.

My male is pure delight. I've heard 'females love you but males are in love with you' - I believe it. Blaze causes me to start and end my day laughing and keeps it up all day long - he's so entertaining.

Either way you decide, you will absolutely love your Maltese beyond belief. If you get a male now, you most likely will want another Maltese in the near future anyway, then you can get your female.

I hope this helps, take it from someone who knows!

Malt Shoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Blizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelj View Post
Thanks! Wow all that very helpful! I guess we will wait until we see this weekend and see what it's like! Daisy's mommy that another thing, we were looking forward to having bows and little cute girly coats for when it's cold outside since it snows here, and I don't think a boy would love a pink coat. But we're definitely not going to base it on that if we love him that will be it! So excited to go this weekend and test the little fluffs out They're only 7 weeks now.
I wanted a female Maltese (my daughter asked for a girl dog to name Snow White) but we ended up getting a male. I'm in Alaska, so I know the weather you're talking about (though it's been a heat wave lately!). We bought sweaters and fleece booties for Blizzard in either red or blue, and even a little tuxedo. If you're a sports fan, there are pint sized jerseys. I definitely want to get a female still, but Blizzard is a blast, and I'm happy we didn't wait for a female.
J Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement