Warning signs of a BYB - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Magdalena
Dog's Name: Cloe

Hi all,

I live in Florida and really want to get a Maltese again. But after reading all of this, I do not know where to start. I know that there are many good breeders here, but, where do I start???? Thank you all so much................

Cloe at the Rainbow Bridge 8/26/2016

"With God All Things Are Possible"
Cloe baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

Being on SM in regards to finding a good puppy is like a merry-go-round. It's always been so hard to actually help people. A few years ago, I just left SM - a lot of the reason was it got so hard to be politically correct....and the fun was becoming less and less.

It got to the point that people were afraid (or weren't allowed) to recommend specific breeders. We would say "go check the AKC list of recommended breeders" Now this is also tricky because maybe not ALL of the AKC breeders are good. ....then we would chastise those who made a mistake.

A lot of long time members have left SM since then. And I'm not sure what has been transpiring since then as I usually only come back to check in with a few old friends...(Paula )

So, where do we go from here? There never was a good answer. Will there ever be? I did like that thread that was started one time about "Where did you get your maltese?" Everyone posted pictures of their dogs and gave the name of their breeder. ....like....hint hint hint. lol.

Not trying to start any trouble, just trying to express how I feel personally. Feel free to disregard me...as I don't play by the rules anymore. ....I even own two dogs imported from Korea. ...the horrors....!!!!!

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Joanne
Dog's Name: Lacie 3/11/12,Sunnydales Suki 1/4/14, Sunnydales Mika 5/2/15, Casey 1990-2008)(Maddy 1998-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloe baby View Post
Hi all,

I live in Florida and really want to get a Maltese again. But after reading all of this, I do not know where to start. I know that there are many good breeders here, but, where do I start???? Thank you all so much................
I tell ya...since I wrote that thread, I have realized that AKC means nothing anymore. Lacie(my very sick dog) breeder is AKC registered now, so that in itself means nothing to me anymore.

This is how I found my next breeder. I started researching other top show breeders and which breeder they used to bring into their lines. I figured if that breeder was good for them...it was good for me. I ended up going out of the country without any regrets. My two dogs are super healthy, with the exception of Suki getting an auto immune disease that is not genetic~the medical experts say environmental or the rabies shot brought it on. My girls bile acid tests that my internist did came back in the negatives both pre and post. I got full body X-rays and all their blood work.

My point...reputable breeders have nothing to hide. The BYB/hobby breeders have everything to hide. If I look back on when I adopted Lacie from Royal House of Maltese...she lied constantly and her stories changed all the time. She was never, ever straight up with me or anyone else I know that adopted or attempted to adopt from her.

All I can say is you can't be careful enough. If there are dog shows nearby...go and meet those breeders. I asked a million questions, I emailed other breeders about the breeder I was thinking about adopting from, as well as people that I heard had previously adopted one.
It was definitely a full-time job but well worth the time. Hope this helps and please don't stop asking...it's a small world...everyone knows everyone so your bound to find your answers.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Bogie, CGC, BN and Cassie,CGCA, BN,RN
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

This time of year there lots of dog shows in Florida. There are 10 days of shows in Brooksville in Jan. and then there are a series of shows in Lakeland. Check infodog.com for show information. That's the place to see dogs and meet their breeders. You can see and meet some of the best Maltese breeders in the Florida area at these shows.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

Name: Magdalena
Dog's Name: Cloe

Hi Reva,

Thank you so much for the info. I did take a look at inodog and found lots of shows for 2017. The AMA are having a show in April, in Ashville, NC. And there are more show in WPB and in Miami. I really want to go the Ashville, NC because it's AMA showing. I love SM. There is so much info here!!!!

Regards,

Maggie

Cloe at the Rainbow Bridge 8/26/2016

"With God All Things Are Possible"
Cloe baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement