When to spay - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to M&M's MOM

Is there a problem with spaying a female later than 6 months? Why do the vets always say you should spay her before their first "heat"? Is it harder on them after this? I hear of many malts and other breeds that breed their females for so-many years and then have them spayed.

Would like opinions on this. I just hate to have Molly spayed right now. She is SO tiny .......just don't want to do it!! Will be interested in hearing the pros and cons. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Bonnie Marie, my angel and Bellarata's Bounces with Wolves, Bounce - St. Patrick's Baby!

My understanding - take that in mind - is that after the first heat, there are hormones released in the body that wouldn't be if she is spayed before. Bonnie was about 4 pounds when she was spayed, and she was fine. I would talk to your vet if you are concerned about her size. Maybe Dr. Jaimie will see this and offer some sound advice.

's to little Molly.

Bounce, you're the joy and sparkle in my life (with the heart shaped tongue).
Bonnie, you're my sweet girl who will never be forgotten or replaced.
Bonnie's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to Suz & the Fluffs Send a message via MSN to Suz & the Fluffs Send a message via Yahoo to Suz & the Fluffs

We to were worried about little Bella so she was spayed when she was 7 months old. She had not come into heat yet. But no matter when u do it it will still be hard on you. We bought a comfort care package for her there were different anesthesia packages and we bought the one were she would have anesthesia before, during, and pain pills to take come. So if you vet offers different packages buy the best. I don't know who would buy the lowest amount of anesthesia package or none. But anyways she was still in rough shape even with the pain pills. It just killed me to see her like that. I know that they are tiny but little chiuauas are spayed a the time and they are smaller than most Maltese. Hoping Dr. Jamie can give you some good advice.

Suz & the Fluffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Quote:
Is there a problem with spaying a female later than 6 months? Why do the vets always say you should spay her before their first "heat"? Is it harder on them after this? I hear of many malts and other breeds that breed their females for so-many years and then have them spayed.

Would like opinions on this. I just hate to have Molly spayed right now. She is SO tiny .......just don't want to do it!! Will be interested in hearing the pros and cons. Thanks![/B]
Thank you for asking this question!! It's actually info I need, as well. Lucy is 7 mos and I HAD an appt to have her spayed but I had to cancel. (was taking her out of state for a few weeks and didn't want her feeling poorly) I really need to reschedule!

Bad, malt owner, BAD.

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Jaimie asked me to post this for her (she's taking a break from posting...)

these are some facts about spaying before first heat: "A female dog spayed before her first heat will have a near zero chance of developing mammary cancer. After the first heat, this incidence climbs to 7% and after the second heat the risk is 25% (one in four!). It is easy to see that an early spay can completely prevent what is frequently a very difficult and potentially fatal form of cancer.

But is it too late if a dog is already past her second heat? No, in fact spaying is important even in female dogs who already have obvious tumors. This is because many mammary tumors are stimulated by estrogens; removing the ovaries, the source of estrogens, will help retard tumor spread. "
triste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

these are some facts about spaying before first heat: "A female dog spayed before her first heat will have a near zero chance of developing mammary cancer. After the first heat, this incidence climbs to 7% and after the second heat the risk is 25% (one in four!). It is easy to see that an early spay can completely prevent what is frequently a very difficult and potentially fatal form of cancer.

But is it too late if a dog is already past her second heat? No, in fact spaying is important even in female dogs who already have obvious tumors. This is because many mammary tumors are stimulated by estrogens; removing the ovaries, the source of estrogens, will help retard tumor spread. "[/B]

In addition to the added risk of cancer, there is also the risk of Pyrometria, which is an accumilation of pus in the uterus. This condition is usually seen in older dogs, but can occur in the younger ones also.
HappyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Lacey was spayed at 7 months and she weighed 5 pounds. the first night home was horrible, for me. By the next day she was running and playing like nothing happened. My vet called around noon to check on her and I told her and she told me that Lacey should be quiet. I told her to wait a minute and I would give Lacey the phone so she could tell her. Lacey had no problems at all.
Laceys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Mikey, Mia, Buddy & Tucker
Send a message via Yahoo to wagirl98665

Quote:

But is it too late if a dog is already past her second heat? No, in fact spaying is important even in female dogs who already have obvious tumors. This is because many mammary tumors are stimulated by estrogens; removing the ovaries, the source of estrogens, will help retard tumor spread. "[/B]

I'm glad someone started this thread. Now I have the answers to questions I might have been asking in the next month or two. It's so good to have Jaimie around!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Kayla (Josymir); Shayna @ Bridge

OK, I had asked about this in another thread, but strangely found it in this "Breeders" forum.

I, too, postponed Shayna's spaying. She was scheduled to be spayed yesterday. She's now 6 months and one week old and weighs 4.3 lbs. We now HAVE to wait until July to have her spayed, because of unavoidable travel schedules.

I've just rescheduled her for early July. I'm hoping that she doesn't go into heat until then.

brendaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Diane Kennedy
Dog's Name: Abbie and Sophie at the bridge

My little Sophie is scheduled to be spayed on June 23. Did anyone else leave their babies at the vets overnight? My vet says that I can take her in on that Friday, leave her and they will keep her over night, and then we can come to pick her up that Saturday around 10.

Diane, Abbie, Snowy and my sweet Sophie at the bridge
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement