Novartis Suspends Production of Interceptor, Sentinel, Program, Clomicalm and Deramax - Page 8 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #71 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
I just googled it & I am thinking it is the same product which has been suspended in the US????????????????? Can someone w/a little time research this & let me know? Why was it suspended in the US? I gave it to my two about 2 wks. ago so hope it is okay.
If it is the same product I may be able to help a few people, but could not supply everyone. If some one is really desperate I would try to figure out how to help until they could come up w/another solution.
It was suspended in the US because the plant where it was produced was shut down a step ahead of the FDA closing it down. I posted links to the FDA inspection reports earlier in this thread.

I'm sure your product is manufactured overseas, not in the same plant so I am sure it is fine.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #72 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Mane
Dog's Name: Sasha (7/14/99) & Lola Pink (9/20/10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Kandis just started Iverheart. I think that is what I will use when I run out of Interceptor:

New Heartworm Pill!!
I just read the thread Thanks! I will have to look into Iverheart plus.

Quote:
I am not sure if Milbemax (Milbemax® (Milbemycin Oxime, Praziquantel) is available in the US but K & L's ER vet recommended it to me this week against Heart Worm to use along w/Frontline Plus for flea & ticks. It covers several worms/parasites. Google it to see if it is available there. It is made by Novartis.
I think the whole Novartis plant is closed. They MIGHT reopen next year according to my vet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Looks like it is not available in in the US. Darn!

Milbemax - Drugs.com
Urgh!!! This is so frustrating. Sasha has been on interceptor for years and Lola ever since I got her! Never any problems.

Quote:
I just googled it & I am thinking it is the same product which has been suspended in the US????????????????? Can someone w/a little time research this & let me know? Why was it suspended in the US? I gave it to my two about 2 wks. ago so hope it is okay.
If it is the same product I may be able to help a few people, but could not supply everyone. If some one is really desperate I would try to figure out how to help until they could come up w/another solution.
I THINK the plant had several issues/ complaints from consumers of other products made by Novartis. I read the FDA documents there is no mention of Interceptor itself. The links are on this thread.

Thanks for the offer about helping but I will be in the same situation the following month and I have two doggies. I have my girls on heartworm preventive year around even though we live in NY. I don't want to take any chances. Sasha is 13 I really hope she doesn't get a bad reaction from changing the medication she has been on interceptors for so many years.

Last edited by S&LP'S Mommy; 11-09-2012 at 01:52 PM.
S&LP'S Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #73 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

We do have a Novartis factory very near where we live here in Greece---I pass it when I drive the national highway. I can check w/my vet and w/Pet Stop to see if I can buy it if anyone is afraid to try something new for health reasons. Please PM me if you would like for me to do this & I will see IF I can help out for a limited time. Is what you take in the US a small, white, oval tablet?
MILBEMAX tablets for small dogs and puppies: a tablet containing 2.5 mg milbemycin oxime and 25 mg praziquantel.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #74 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
We do have a Novartis factory very near where we live here in Greece---I pass it when I drive the national highway. I can check w/my vet and w/Pet Stop to see if I can buy it if anyone is afraid to try something new for health reasons. Please PM me if you would like for me to do this & I will see IF I can help out for a limited time. Is what you take in the US a small, white, oval tablet?
MILBEMAX tablets for small dogs and puppies: a tablet containing 2.5 mg milbemycin oxime and 25 mg praziquantel.

Sandi are they called MILBEMAX tablets? I'm going to ask my mom to talk to her vet and see if she can get it for me, i just wanted to make sure i tell her the right thing.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #75 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Quote:
Sandi - the day that I got a whiff that Interceptor was ceasing production - and I"m pretty sure I got that heads up here from Marj - I ran out to my vet and got a pack even though I had a few (about three) months left. So Tyler's been on it and we still have only 3 months left. The pills though are brown not white and they are round, not oval. Hmmm. I'm a nervous wreck giving it to him because sometimes he'll find it and spit it out and then it would waste another pill so I try to give it when he's really hungry and disguise it in food he likes.
I think they made Excedrin in that plant -- Excedrin -- we're talking major money for that product hasn't been available in ages and when I tried to get liquid Benedryl in teaspoon dispensers (great to have for food allergic kids) they said their plant was shut down too. Wondering if all these things were made in the same plant.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #76 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I looked at my Interceptor - they're called Interceptor flavor tabs and it has 2. mg milbemycin oxime but I don't see anything about praziquantel. any idea what that ingredient is?

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #77 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Sandi - the day that I got a whiff that Interceptor was ceasing production - and I"m pretty sure I got that heads up here from Marj - I ran out to my vet and got a pack even though I had a few (about three) months left. So Tyler's been on it and we still have only 3 months left. The pills though are brown not white and they are round, not oval. Hmmm. I'm a nervous wreck giving it to him because sometimes he'll find it and spit it out and then it would waste another pill so I try to give it when he's really hungry and disguise it in food he likes.
I think they made Excedrin in that plant -- Excedrin -- we're talking major money for that product hasn't been available in ages and when I tried to get liquid Benedryl in teaspoon dispensers (great to have for food allergic kids) they said their plant was shut down too. Wondering if all these things were made in the same plant.

Sue they did make Excedrin in that plant, the Excedrin Migraine was the only thing that would help my migraines if i didn't have Imitrex on hand, i sure do miss the Excedrin Migraine.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #78 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I looked at my Interceptor - they're called Interceptor flavor tabs and it has 2. mg milbemycin oxime but I don't see anything about praziquantel. any idea what that ingredient is?

Sue, Praziquantel is primarily used against parasites known as "cestodes" (tapeworms). Praziquantel
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #79 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Zoey

I dont know if this will help out any but i found this story Some drugs again being produced at Novartis : Business
dragonsdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #80 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I would also guess it ( praziquantel) is for tapeworms. Greece has lots of various sorts of worms and I know Milbemax covers tapeworms.
And yes Debbie, it is tablet form. I was using it every 6 months w/my regular vet, but the ER vet says it is not enough every 6 months.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement