Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

people make me so mad..

2K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  CorkieYorkie 
#1 ·
So tonight at work I was making conversation about Rocky. I do this a lot. I brought up the subject of his wardrobe, which consists of several sweaters, a couple of coats and a team jersey.

One of my co workers who is a fellow dog lover says, 'I feel sorry for your dog. He is not a doll.' This guy has a lab with resource guarding and dog aggression issues.

I kind of snapped.

I know full well Rocky is not a doll. He comes running, cheerily when its time to put on his sweaters. I think he knows they keep him warm. If he doesnt wear one when we go out, its so cold that he stands in place and trembles.

I spend at least 30 minutes every other day working on basic obedience. His recall is strong, we use nilif. I know full well he is a dog. He is extreamly well behaved. I would be willing to bet money he is far better trained than the sweater haters dog.

Yes he is groomed every day and yes I brush his teeth regularly so they dont rott out in a couple of years. I just can not stand how some people jump to the conclusion that you think a dog is a doll or a child just because you put clothes on it. Its like they are so afraid of the idea....I dont know, maybe its not manly enough for him.

I let him have it. He had nothing to say in response.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good for you for speaking your mind. Something very like this happend to us just yesterday. Bella had just gotten a new harness dress and was prissing around like she was the queen. I took her to my old office and someone made the comment, "I only like "real" dogs". While it annoys me to think about it, I feel sorry for this narrow minded thinking. It must be very lonely to limit yourself like that.

#10 ·
Good for you for speaking your mind. Something very like this happend to us just yesterday. Bella had just gotten a new harness dress and was prissing around like she was the queen. I took her to my old office and someone made the comment, "I only like "real" dogs". While it annoys me to think about it, I feel sorry for this narrow minded thinking. It must be very lonely to limit yourself like that.
When people tell me that Maltese aren't "real" dogs, I say something like, "Well, I certainly hope that I haven't been paying vet bills for a fake dog." They usually shut up after that :w00t:

#3 ·
Some people don't realize that our dogs are very well loved and taken care of in terms of health, behavior, socialization, and everything else in between. It's unfair of ppl to come to the conclusion that because a dog has a sweater or bow on that the owner isn't caring for the dog in the best way. You truly care about Rocky and keep up the great work :). Sweaters and all!!!

#4 ·
I have always dreamed of owning a maltese and before I got Lexi I had dobermans 3 of them - I could not imagine putting sweater on them or even caring for them as delicate as I do Lexi - they were amazing dogs, but can no place compete with the cuddling and love you get from a maltese. So in my opinion until someone owns one they will never know the love we feel towards our fluffs, they are our kids.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear that you came across a person who is uneducated when it comes to dogs like malteses. He clearly doesn't know what it's like to own a beautiful breed like malteses. Some people are just plain rude. I had some guys tell me to stop playing doll with my dogs so that I can get married and have real babies!! So I hear you when you say comments like that pisses you off.

#9 ·
Good for you. Cooper, my service dog, has a number of outfits that he wears a part of his work attire when we are helping kids. Of course, he has a service best but he has other costumes and accessories and these things are wonderful tools to break the ice with kids who have had horrible hurts inflicted on them. He is one of the hardest working dogs I know and I would definitely challenge anyone who questioned me about his occasional outfit. My Cooper is definitely a "real" dog and he works hard to do his job everyday. Shame on your co-worker. He sounds like an ignorant fool.

#11 ·
Not all dog lovers have a clue...maybe there's different levels of dog lovers....

Not all dogs like to wear clothes but I figure if mine don't mind,I do it to keep them warm and protected..If they didnt' like clothes,I wouldn't do it...

Mine love clothes,I swear they know they're cute and they actually get excited and more playful with clothes. Maybe it's the reaction they get and they sense the energy levels go up.

I notice it's usually guys that think clothes on a dog is stupid....

I think it takes a real man to walk a little fluffy dog in a dress...

#14 ·
my own mother dosent understand why i even wanted a little lap,frou-frou dog. she has three greyhounds that she has no bussiness having at her age, and dosent really take care of them. :smilie_tischkante:
i dont dress bentley, but if i had enough money i would get him a demin harness vest,love them. and if i had a girl dog i think i might dress her. bentley is not used to wearing sweaters and such.

#15 ·
Oh I should have mentioned that my Mom has had 2 beautiful Maltese boys. She even thinks that clothes are stupid for the breed. My answer was to tell her that Bella also has a purse and a tiara too! She's also been know to grab her coat and head to the door to go out and will priss around and show off her pocket book . She has fun .... so there!!!!:smtease:

#17 ·
Good for you!! And don't let people like that get to you. I actually feel bad for him as he is missing out on a great deal of love that we all receive, as I am sure he feels, his "dog" is just a dog. Which I know dogs are dogs but they are special little and big ones. I wonder how long he leaves his undressed dog outside, anytiime, good weather bad weather? Not to judge him, but.....Actually, I feel more bad for his dog.

Hugs to you.

#19 ·
My husband would roll his eyes and make comments everytime I'd put a dress on Phoebe Trixibell. Something like, "I think this is a call for help". I didn't care, I know he loves her almost as much as he loves me (or maybe even more) and I think he secretly thought it was cute and sweet, he just couldn't admit it. This was confimed when he went to the pet store to buy food and came back with a ballerina costume for her to "cheer me up" since I had been feeling a little blue. He couldn't wait to get that thing on her to see how cute she'd look.

#20 ·
My husband would roll his eyes and make comments everytime I'd put a dress on Phoebe Trixibell. Something like, "I think this is a call for help". I didn't care, I know he loves her almost as much as he loves me (or maybe even more) and I think he secretly thought it was cute and sweet, he just couldn't admit it. This was confimed when he went to the pet store to buy food and came back with a ballerina costume for her to "cheer me up" since I had been feeling a little blue. He couldn't wait to get that thing on her to see how cute she'd look.
That was so sweet of him! Please take a picture of Miss Phoebe Trixibell in that costume and post it!

#23 ·
We've always had Chesapeake Bay Retreivers with water-proof, dense, double coats; you know, a manley-man type dog that doesn't think twice about jumping into icey water during hunting season (and just because the water IS THERE!). I never thought much about why someone would dress up their little dogs, but I thought some of the holiday outfits were very clever. Then I got a Maltese 6 months ago and right away I knew I would have to find him a good coat for our Wyoming winters. I didn't know there was such a thing as dogs without an under coat! I got educated when I got my fluff. I got him a very manley insulated, water-proof coat and he looks good strutt'in his stuff with the Chessies. Not in the water though.

#25 ·
I've been looking on line for you, but they all have straps. Maybe you could make alterations and cut off the straps. The ones that I see, the ears go through, so just buy an inexpensive one and alterate it, and if that works buy a better one, and do the same.

#27 ·
Isabella will only wear one coat. She got quite a few items for Christmas but they are too large and cumbersome right now. When you only have a single coat, it is cold outside in the winter. Even with a coat, she is shivering in less than 10 minutes. I can't wait to put pretty little bows in her hair. I had one Schnauzer that loved clothing and another that went bonkers if you tried to dress him. I figure the animal will let you know what they want. Isabella sure does.

#28 ·
I don't put clothes on Lucy very often. But in the winter I put sweaters on her, and on holidays I dress her up--this year she had the cutest kind of jester-type collar for Christmas. I live in Nevada so I have t-shirts for her in the summer if her hair is cut short. Frankly, here almost everybody puts coats on their dogs in the summer. I guess if we are extra sensitive to the cold, we figure our dogs are too. :) People are being judgmental. They're probably thinking of the Paris Hilton type people that use dogs as accessories. They don't realize that you can have a little dog, dress it up, and still know that it's a dog and treat it like a dog. These just happen to be EXTRA adorable dogs--it's not THEIR fault they're so cute...

#29 ·
I hate to say this bc I don't want to offend anyone who dislikes their fluffs in clothes, but this is meant more toward the people who laugh at us for putting them in clothes.
To me, it seems that people who are so against it are people who don't care about what THEY look like. That seems to be the pattern. Yes, my Maltese is my baby and YES I am gonna dress her like my baby and spoil her rotten and baby talk to her and kiss her like crazy and if you don't like it, well, tough crap!!! In the end, I feel sorry for YOUR baby because they aren't getting the royal treatment they deserve!

Well, now that I have vented I can go back to being a nice girl again!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.