people make me so mad.. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean
Default people make me so mad..

So tonight at work I was making conversation about Rocky. I do this a lot. I brought up the subject of his wardrobe, which consists of several sweaters, a couple of coats and a team jersey.

One of my co workers who is a fellow dog lover says, 'I feel sorry for your dog. He is not a doll.' This guy has a lab with resource guarding and dog aggression issues.

I kind of snapped.

I know full well Rocky is not a doll. He comes running, cheerily when its time to put on his sweaters. I think he knows they keep him warm. If he doesnt wear one when we go out, its so cold that he stands in place and trembles.

I spend at least 30 minutes every other day working on basic obedience. His recall is strong, we use nilif. I know full well he is a dog. He is extreamly well behaved. I would be willing to bet money he is far better trained than the sweater haters dog.

Yes he is groomed every day and yes I brush his teeth regularly so they dont rott out in a couple of years. I just can not stand how some people jump to the conclusion that you think a dog is a doll or a child just because you put clothes on it. Its like they are so afraid of the idea....I dont know, maybe its not manly enough for him.

I let him have it. He had nothing to say in response.
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Good for you for speaking your mind. Something very like this happend to us just yesterday. Bella had just gotten a new harness dress and was prissing around like she was the queen. I took her to my old office and someone made the comment, "I only like "real" dogs". While it annoys me to think about it, I feel sorry for this narrow minded thinking. It must be very lonely to limit yourself like that.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Some people don't realize that our dogs are very well loved and taken care of in terms of health, behavior, socialization, and everything else in between. It's unfair of ppl to come to the conclusion that because a dog has a sweater or bow on that the owner isn't caring for the dog in the best way. You truly care about Rocky and keep up the great work . Sweaters and all!!!
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Lexi (adopted) Cassidy (Bonnie's Angel)

I have always dreamed of owning a maltese and before I got Lexi I had dobermans 3 of them - I could not imagine putting sweater on them or even caring for them as delicate as I do Lexi - they were amazing dogs, but can no place compete with the cuddling and love you get from a maltese. So in my opinion until someone owns one they will never know the love we feel towards our fluffs, they are our kids.
LexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Sorry to hear that you came across a person who is uneducated when it comes to dogs like malteses. He clearly doesn't know what it's like to own a beautiful breed like malteses. Some people are just plain rude. I had some guys tell me to stop playing doll with my dogs so that I can get married and have real babies!! So I hear you when you say comments like that pisses you off.
SweetMalteseAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey (L.A. North Central Animal Shelter)

What a creep! Good for you for sticking up for yourself, Shelly.

Elisabeth & Zooey
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

All I can say is "Some people are idiots." Period Nuf said and good for you for speaking up.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Sassy
Send a message via Yahoo to sassy's mommy

Good for you. Now that you have let him know that your dog is smarter than a 5th grader, maybe he will work on his own dog's social skills. People slay me with their ignorance.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

Good for you. Cooper, my service dog, has a number of outfits that he wears a part of his work attire when we are helping kids. Of course, he has a service best but he has other costumes and accessories and these things are wonderful tools to break the ice with kids who have had horrible hurts inflicted on them. He is one of the hardest working dogs I know and I would definitely challenge anyone who questioned me about his occasional outfit. My Cooper is definitely a "real" dog and he works hard to do his job everyday. Shame on your co-worker. He sounds like an ignorant fool.
babycake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Sophie(Maltese), Coco(Chihuahua), Abigail(Yorkie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summergirl73 View Post
Good for you for speaking your mind. Something very like this happend to us just yesterday. Bella had just gotten a new harness dress and was prissing around like she was the queen. I took her to my old office and someone made the comment, "I only like "real" dogs". While it annoys me to think about it, I feel sorry for this narrow minded thinking. It must be very lonely to limit yourself like that.
When people tell me that Maltese aren't "real" dogs, I say something like, "Well, I certainly hope that I haven't been paying vet bills for a fake dog." They usually shut up after that

~Even Dogs With the Most Humble of Beginnings Can Become the Most Spoiled of Maltese~
reanut1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement