Where did you get your baby?? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Default Where did you get your baby??

So, I am just wondering how many people on here got their baby through a breeder and how many got him/her through other means.
Assuming you got your baby from a pet store or a BYB, what differences do you see in him/her from the standard breed??

I am NOT considering using a puppy mill. I have my breeder lined up. And I mean no disrespect by asking. I ask because I've been looking at pictures of Maltese online and I see a LOT of them that look really big or their hair is curly, etc. So, I just wonder how many of these babies are being bred in a bad place.
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

I have to admit I got Pipper thru what everyone refers to as a BYB. I did not know the difference and I had just lost my other dog and I desperately needed another fluff to love. This was a very nice lady who had both parents on site and the puppies were raised in her home with love and to this day she has kept in contact with me. I am so happy I did not know any better because if I would have known to go to a registered breeder, then I wouldn't have Pipper. I love him more than I ever could have imagined and I don't want another dog with fancy names and fancy papers.....I want my Pipper. He is a bit larger than normal size, he weighs just over 11 lbs but thats all the more of him to love. I could be wrong but I THINK that even if they come from a registered breeder, there are no guarantees they will be within the standard size. Size is not important to me, its the loving, gentle, kind and quirky little personality of these fluffs that is so important. Even now that I know the difference, I would do it all over again just to have Pipper. He is EVERYTHING I ever could have wanted in a dog. By the way, he only weighed 2 lbs when I got him at 10 weeks old.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

I will be getting my Sophie from a breeder in eastern Washington. Even though I'm fairly young I did a LOT of research and learned about puppy mills and the difference between a reputable breeder and a BYB. I'm so happy that I did the research and I'm getting Sophie from someone I know is going the right way about doing things.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I got Molly from Bonnie Palmer...she is six months old and weighs three lbs...I love my angel, she is perfect.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippersmom View Post
I have to admit I got Pipper thru what everyone refers to as a BYB. I did not know the difference and I had just lost my other dog and I desperately needed another fluff to love. This was a very nice lady who had both parents on site and the puppies were raised in her home with love and to this day she has kept in contact with me. I am so happy I did not know any better because if I would have known to go to a registered breeder, then I wouldn't have Pipper. I love him more than I ever could have imagined and I don't want another dog with fancy names and fancy papers.....I want my Pipper. He is a bit larger than normal size, he weighs just over 11 lbs but thats all the more of him to love. I could be wrong but I THINK that even if they come from a registered breeder, there are no guarantees they will be within the standard size. Size is not important to me, its the loving, gentle, kind and quirky little personality of these fluffs that is so important. Even now that I know the difference, I would do it all over again just to have Pipper. He is EVERYTHING I ever could have wanted in a dog. By the way, he only weighed 2 lbs when I got him at 10 weeks old.
Well, I know you said she's not the STANDARD when it comes to size, but is that REALLY considered a BYB?? I mean, she wasn't breeding them just to make money, right?? It sounds like she just had two Maltese and bred them.
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Orla
Dog's Name: Milo
Send a message via MSN to Orla

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
Well, I know you said she's not the STANDARD when it comes to size, but is that REALLY considered a BYB?? I mean, she wasn't breeding them just to make money, right?? It sounds like she just had two Maltese and bred them.
A BYB is anyone who isn't breeding to better the breed.
Anyone who breeds their dogs and doesn't show is a BYB.

Milo's Instagram
Orla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Yes she has 2 maltese that are her pets and she breeds them and I assume she does it to make money which I now know is a BYB but she also loves the dogs and their puppies and thats important too. My sweet little guy is perfect in every way in my eyes!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Quote:
That is considered a backyard breeder. Laurel, Violet , and Hardy all came from BYB as well as all of my other Yorkies and Maltese at the bridge. Dewey came from Fran Lovitt of I Lovitt Maltese. I also was ignorant about BYB. I thought if you wanted a dog, you looked in the paper. I have been very fortunate they all were very healthy and lived into their teens. I am unfamiliar with the illness that sone of the fluffs have because I never encountered them. The temperaments of mine were wonderful even though they weren't from reputable breeders. They did not meet the standard of Maltese or a Yorkie, however. Violet weighs over 8 pounds and Hardy weighs close to11. Laurel weighs 6 pounds, but she has a cottony coat and not really good pigment. They all act the same as puppies and Dewey is wonderful, but so were my other ones! In my experience it was mostly the looks that were different.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
That is considered a backyard breeder. Laurel, Violet , and Hardy all came from BYB as well as all of my other Yorkies and Maltese at the bridge. Dewey came from Fran Lovitt of I Lovitt Maltese. I also was ignorant about BYB. I thought if you wanted a dog, you looked in the paper. I have been very fortunate they all were very healthy and lived into their teens. I am unfamiliar with the illness that sone of the fluffs have because I never encountered them. The temperaments of mine were wonderful even though they weren't from reputable breeders. They did not meet the standard of Maltese or a Yorkie, however. Violet weighs over 8 pounds and Hardy weighs close to11. Laurel weighs 6 pounds, but she has a cottony coat and not really good pigment. They all act the same as puppies and Dewey is wonderful, but so were my other ones! In my experience it was mostly the looks that were different.
Thats exactly what I thought too.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Well now that i look back, i think Chloe was actually from a broker. Before i knew better i thought the correct way to go about finding a puppy was through a newspaper, i knew not to buy from a petstore. The reason i think Chloe is from a broker is that there were no parents available to see and she and her sister were only 8 weeks old. Riley and Noelle were both rescues from different situations, neither from a rescue organization but i call them rescues since they were both from different situations and needed to be rescued and Reese and Kelly are both retirees from TNT (Tom and Theresa Meyer). All of the pups fit into the breed standard and all have pretty good temperments. Chloe has really think hair when i tried to grow it out and it's just awful, when i keep her hair short it's very wavy, Riley i believe is from a show breeder that wound up in the wrong hands, he's got the straight hair, a wonderful temperment and is very well bred, a friend of mine made a comment that Riley looks like he is walking in high heels because of the way he prances around. Noelle has a very cottony coat, very longed body and very long legs, it wouldn't be so bad with the long body if she weren't build so lean. Reese and Kelly from a show breeder are two totally different girls, Reese is a very shy little girl and it takes quite awhile for her to warm up to anyone but me and her breeder, it's been almost 2 years and she is still spooked by people and then we have Kelly who is as outgoing as outgoing can be and is referred to as a nutcase but a lovable one but that's what i fell in love with when i first met her in the ring almost 2 years ago when i was picking up Reese. So yes there are differences in my little group but thankfully they are all very healthy, happy and most of all very well loved.