Fleas! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Lucy's Mom
Dog's Name: Lucy
Default Fleas!

Hi everyone, I have a few questions.

A few weeks ago, my pup and I just got back from my mom's house when I noticed a flea on her. Not knowing what to do, I went to Petco and purchased SENTRY shampoo and flea powder. I bathed my dog (she is also frontlined), and used the powder all over my rugs and bed and vacuumed it up. I emptied the vacuum outside.

I didn't see any fleas again for 7 days. 7 days later, I saw one flea on her (it always seems to be just a single flea). SInce then, I have been bathing her in Dawn and also using the powder and vacuuming my house like a mad woman. Every few days, I see a single tick... What else should I do?

Also, ever since that first day when my doggie and I were at my mom's, my mom said she has been seeing fleas jumping around her rugs, couch, and bed. Is that possible? Is it possible for the fleas to keep laying eggs when there is no "host" in her house? I don't mind getting an exterminator to come to her house, I just hope that the fleas she sees are the eggs of the original one - and that they don't keep reporoducing because she does not have any pets.

Does this happen often? After the problem is under control, I think I'll be afraid to let my doggie mingle with others!
Zarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

If your dog was flea free before going to your mother's house, the fleas were already at her house, she just did not pay attention or was not aware of them. If her house is infested like you said, she needs an extermination done by a professional. Now when it comes to YOUR house and YOUR dog, if your house would be infested with fleas your dog would be full of them and you would not only see one every 7 days. Do you live in an apartment or a house ? do you have a backyard ? you surely go out with your dog and he can catch a flea when walking him. Personally I am not for using drastic products for ONE flea. I will kill the flea between my finger nails, that's it. But I would treat the outdoor.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
If your dog was flea free before going to your mother's house, the fleas were already at her house, she just did not pay attention or was not aware of them. If her house is infested like you said, she needs an extermination done by a professional. Now when it comes to YOUR house and YOUR dog, if your house would be infested with fleas your dog would be full of them and you would not only see one every 7 days. Do you live in an apartment or a house ? do you have a backyard ? you surely go out with your dog and he can catch a flea when walking him. Personally I am not for using drastic products for ONE flea. I will kill the flea between my finger nails, that's it. But I would treat the outdoor.

That's what I originally thought, but I guess it is possible that she picked one up on the way to or from my moms?
My dog is certainly not infested. She has one flea every few days. I live in an apartment. Ever since the first flea, we have been trying keeping her indoors because we're scared that the fleas will jump onto other dogs. She goes outside to use the restroom, but has not been playing outside or coming near other dogs.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I would think that Lucy got fleas from your Mom's house if she has that many then they certainly would cling to Lucy. I would make sure she is flea free and check her really well. They can live in the house in carpet etc.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

There's actually a lot of interesting info about fleas on the wikipedia page that might help you understand their life cycle better and how to eradicate them: Flea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aarianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarina View Post
That's what I originally thought, but I guess it is possible that she picked one up on the way to or from my moms?
My dog is certainly not infested. She has one flea every few days. I live in an apartment. Ever since the first flea, we have been trying keeping her indoors because we're scared that the fleas will jump onto other dogs. She goes outside to use the restroom, but has not been playing outside or coming near other dogs.
Going outside to use the restroom is enough to catch a flea. But since you live in an apartment you cannot treat the outside. Use a natural repellent on the dog before you go potty with him.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

thank you all so much!!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

There are regular flea preventatives you can purchase, I recommend getting them from the vet if you do as many of the others offered either just don't work or are counterfiet. There are people who prefer not to use these for whatever reason and that's fine-whatever works for you.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I agree with what the others said about your mom's house already being infested. When I first got married and before we had any pets, we bought a new house and the yard was not yet established. The builders had spread out sand and put out rye grass. We got sand fleas and were bringing them in on our pants legs/shoes/socks. I was also told that they were attracted to white and sure enough, I could put on a pair of white socks and watch them immediately jump on me.

Two home remedies I learned that worked better than anything else for getting my home free from these pests were:

1) Borax - I wouldn't recommend using this where small pets are on the floor though. But it might be fine for your mom's house. I just sprinkled it on the carpet in the evening and vacuumed it up in the morning. I made sure to sprinkle it under furniture too.

2) Desk light and a pan full of soapy water - I tried this after I had small children and also after having pets. Before going to bed at night, I'd make sure all the lights were turned off except one desk lamp that I set on the middle of the floor. I got a pie pan and filled it up with soapy water, using Dawn dishwashing liquid. I pointed the lamp so that the light was straight above the pan. The vet I used to work for in high school/college had told me this and the Borax tricks. He said if it's dark all around, the fleas will jump toward the light and then fall back into the water. With it being soapy, they can't jump back out.

I would be very careful of using over-the-counter flea shampoos or powders without vet recommendation. I've heard of some small ones getting sick from them.
Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: barbie
Dog's Name: Chloe&Milo

If your dog is on frontline nd u r bathing it with dawn u r washing all the frontline off. Thats one to get rid of frontline. So in reality fleas come back because ur dog is no.longer potected. Goodluck!
Chloe&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement