Puppy hair texture - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
Marj, she is 4 months old. Oh, I hope I haven't damaged it! I brush her at least once a day and use a pin brush (is that what you call it?) and sometimes a flea comb after I've brushed it first. Maybe I've used the flea comb too much. I've run it through to make sure I keep any mats from happening and to find any little tangles the brush didn't find. Her hair was sooo soft at first and it's not frizzy, rough, or anything like that now. It's just not as smooth as it used to be. She's had a bath about every 1-2 weeks and not less than a week. I've got some waterless shampoo and have only used it a few times. I wonder if that's dried her out some. I don't know what the groomer used on her. The shampoo and conditioner I use is Truly Gentle Puppy Shampoo and Puppy Conditioner made by Kong in Style. I've thought about using an oatmeal shampoo, but was thinking that was more for the skin. I appreciate any and all suggestions.
What kind of pin brush do you use? The ones you get from the pet store have balls on the ends of the pins which snag and break the hair. That might be the cause right there.

I highly recommend a Madan brush.

toplinepet.com
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

The pin brush is made by Oster but its bristles are all one piece. I was going to order a Madan brush, but then found this one in the store. I knew not to get the ones with the plastic on the ends - read it on here. I don't see any split ends.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
The pin brush is made by Oster but its bristles are all one piece. I was going to order a Madan brush, but then found this one in the store. I knew not to get the ones with the plastic on the ends - read it on here. I don't see any split ends.
Is it this one? It is a ball tip brush.

Oster Animal Care Clean & Healthy Pin Brush - Free Shipping
Old 11-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

No, it has metal ones. Let's see if I can do this right and post a picture here of it. I haven't done it in a regular post on here yet. We just got home from getting her last set of shots and the vet said her hair is normal and the skin looks good too. I guess it's just me hoping it would always feel like it did when I first got her.

Name:  pinbrush.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
No, it has metal ones. Let's see if I can do this right and post a picture here of it. I haven't done it in a regular post on here yet. We just got home from getting her last set of shots and the vet said her hair is normal and the skin looks good too. I guess it's just me hoping it would always feel like it did when I first got her.

Attachment 105059
That brush has balls on the tips of the pins. The balls catch the hair while you are brushing and breaks it. I bet that is part of the problem. I would order a Madan brush from Topline.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Madden brushes work well. Ours came today.... Gus HATES to be brushed. He actually cries every time I brush him But Today used the Madden brush and he didn't cry at all! He sat there nicely

Also I want to suggest a different shampoo for Leila.

The Truly Gentle Puppy Shampoo (KONG) and Conditioner - aren't really "truly gentle". They have a good number of things in it that may be drying her hair out, and it's made in China, so you never know what else is in there.

Tropiclean is one many here use. Also Earth Bath is a good one. Both of those are typically available at Petsmart and Petco. Both of those aer free of chemicals and other harsh ingredients that dry coats out. They also have conditioners that work well

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
Madden brushes work well. Ours came today.... Gus HATES to be brushed. He actually cries every time I brush him But Today used the Madden brush and he didn't cry at all! He sat there nicely

Also I want to suggest a different shampoo for Leila.

The Truly Gentle Puppy Shampoo (KONG) and Conditioner - aren't really "truly gentle". They have a good number of things in it that may be drying her hair out, and it's made in China, so you never know what else is in there.

Tropiclean is one many here use. Also Earth Bath is a good one. Both of those are typically available at Petsmart and Petco. Both of those aer free of chemicals and other harsh ingredients that dry coats out. They also have conditioners that work well
Good point, Tory.

I know some people use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo on their Maltese thinking it is gentle, but it is really very harsh and drying. It was formulated to remove cradle cap in babies.

I use Earthbath Mango Tango or Tropiclean Papaya shampoo (recommended by my groomer). It also has oatmeal in it.

If Leila's coat is really damaged you can try a hot oil treatment. I did that on Lady once and awhile. I used it on my own hair when I was swimming in chlorinated pool a lot. It really helped.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Name: Brooke
Dog's Name: Moon

One thing I do during Moonie's daily grooming keeps him SO soft. Just after I brush him out, I take a little (talc-free!) baby powder and brush it through his tangle-free fur. Not only does it make his coat silky, but it freshens up his scent in between baths!

Also I found that a shampoo change can make all the difference with coat texture! You'd be amazed at just how smooth and soft your dog can be with a new shampoo.

Moon loves to smirk.
thepinkbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I really appreciate all the tips! The tips of the brush feel like it's all one piece but I'm going to order a Madan brush anyway and stop using this one. I will also check with PetSmart Sunday when I'm there for Leila's graduation and see if I can find the shampoos and conditioners you suggested here. Is there a hot oil that you recommend?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
I really appreciate all the tips! The tips of the brush feel like it's all one piece but I'm going to order a Madan brush anyway and stop using this one. I will also check with PetSmart Sunday when I'm there for Leila's graduation and see if I can find the shampoos and conditioners you suggested here. Is there a hot oil that you recommend?
Even though the pins and balls are all one piece, the balls still snag the hair.

I used all sorts of hot oil, VO5, Aussie, etc.

For conditioner, I've been using Mane & Tail. Dove is also a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement