Traumatized - Page 5 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeco510 View Post
She called me and left a voicemail where she said that there are serious fear issues (no kidding!) and that she is a trained professional and would never allow my puppy to get hurt. She wants to discuss this with me further. Ugh.
Well, just hear what she has to say. You can decide then if you want to go back, but don't feel pressured if it doesn't feel right. If Sadie is scared I don't think forcing her to interact with much larger rambunctious puppies is beneficial, maybe the trainer didn't know she had fear issues. Anyway, if you know anyone who has smaller pups/ or gentle small dogs for Sadie to play with that would help her a lot for socialization. It just needs to be positive, especially if she does have fear issues! Keep us posted!
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #42 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
Well, just hear what she has to say. You can decide then if you want to go back, but don't feel pressured if it doesn't feel right. If Sadie is scared I don't think forcing her to interact with much larger rambunctious puppies is beneficial, maybe the trainer didn't know she had fear issues. Anyway, if you know anyone who has smaller pups/ or gentle small dogs for Sadie to play with that would help her a lot for socialization. It just needs to be positive, especially if she does have fear issues! Keep us posted!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky

There would be no way I would take my Rocky back there. That was inexcusable. She should have known better than that. I would take your baby for more classes but with other small dogs to become more comfortable with other dogs. Sometimes they just aren't no matter what. I took Rocky to six weeks of puppy classes with other dogs. I could see then that he wasn't too happy to be with other dogs but I thought it would get better. He doesn't bark at other dogs now...just tries to tolerate them. He does go up to other dogs on walks to say hello, but that's as far as he wants it to go, LOL. It used to bother me, but now I just accept my Rockstar for who he is and that's it. If no one else likes it...too bad.

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I reversed your posts because I watned to respond to the last one first

Quote:
She called me and left a voicemail where she said that there are serious fear issues (no kidding!) and that she is a trained professional and would never allow my puppy to get hurt. She wants to discuss this with me further. Ugh.
I expected that kind of response. A trainer that allows that to happen will often come back with "It is you and your dog, not me!". The fact is: Even if Sadie is fearful - she should have never allowed any of the puppies to corner or scare Sadie in that way. Period.

Quote:
I am working on an email to the trainer right now to ask for my money back. There is a local doggy daycare that does separate the little dogs from the big dogs, and my friend's dog goes there (Zorro). Zorro and Sadie are good friends. I would rather spend the money on taking her there for socialization and just try to train her on my own.

I can't wait to go home and give her a big hug and a kiss
I think this is a WONDERFUL idea.

A friend of mine had suggested a daycare near me. She had a toy puppy who was a little shy and fearful. They put her in day care - the staff supervised 24/7 (the dogs weren't alone for one second).... and her dog is actually really social and no longer fearful

So it is a great way to socialize a puppy! I'm glad you found one that is safe for her

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky

Great idea...I kind of knew she would blame it on you and your fluff! You are doing the right thing. Don't think twice about it. It's not your fault and you are a good mommy!

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltese manica View Post
Tell her that Sadie says shove it where the moon dont shine!!!! You are a good mommy kaitlin!!!!
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

I don't think she has fear issues. Put you in the place of that little one and being surrounded by giants who want to walk all over her. If she was not fearful before, now she is.

I went to a class with my dear Alex when he was a puppy. I didn't go there for training just for socializing. It was a mistake. I was lucky, because all the dogs where leashed, so they could not walk all over him. But he was the smallest one even tho he was already 1 year old. All the other ones where puppies (but bigger) and people were looking for training, leash, potty, come, stay, sit. We did not need that. He was already potty trained, walked on a leash, knew come, stay and sit but only did it when he wanted too. All the time we were there he was watching his back. I still remember today after all those years the way he looked at me at one time and I got this voice in my head saying : "mom, what in the h e l l are we doing here, let's go home". This dog was not scared of anything, he would stand on top of the vacuum cleaner but he was not friendly to people he did not know and I thought by socializing he would be better. It did not work. And by the way he was fine with my daughter's shi tzu. I did not make the same mistake with Charlie.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Vanilla

Oh wow that was scary ! I remember taking mine to those classes and she was the smallest one too. I would sit her in my lap a lot or just keep her close by. She could of got severely injured by the larger dog even if they were just trying to be nice to her. The trainer should know this. She doesn't seem very bright. I wouldn't let her off leash to play with the bigger dogs. Also , those screeches could also mean not only was she afraid but they could of hurt her. I am still puzzled that the "trainer" would allow a 3.5 pound puppy to play with the larger ones.
poochie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #49 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

The fact that your puppy was outweighed by every dog there by at least twenty lbs and was put in that situation by a trained 'professional' is outrageous. Don't let her turn this around on you and make it be about you enabling her to be scared.

And how could she possibly know that each of those puppies was not aggressive? That is a huge liability on her part.

I never ever let my dogs 'met' large breed dogs that I do not know, no matter how many times the owner says 'they're friendly' And you know what? They are socialized just fine without that interaction. I know what you mean about not being a confrontational person but this is something you need to stand your ground about and get your b*tch on. She was wrong and she can try to justify it all she wants but she scared your puppy unnecessarily.

So sorry you are going through this!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #50 (permalink)

My gosh I am so sorry about your little puppy!! That trainer does sound super horrible.

To offer some alternative advice though, I disagree with most people about letting your little one about being near big dogs. I take Arthur to the dog park and the big dogs are VERY GOOD with him. I think it is because they are all a bit older. The only issue I had was with a lab puppy but he was only being rough cos he too was young and Didnt know how to be gentle. But he had an EXTREMELY good owner who always kept him under control and leashes him whenever he got too rough. I think overall your pup needs to be introduced to both types of dogs just so he is aware of what Is round him?

Before I took Arthur to the dog park a trainer I hired Brought his exceptionally well trained Rottweilers to play with Arthur. They were super massive but it taught him to get used to another dog more importantly a big one

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
nicolen412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement