Traumatized - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie
Default Traumatized

Hey everyone

Sadie and I had her first puppy preschool class tonight. No surprise, she was the tiniest puppy (she's only 3.5pounds!) and was very nervous. The trainer has us do off-leash playtime at the beginning of class. Some of the other puppies wanted to play with her but ended up basically trampling her. The trainer told us specifically to let them play and she would take care of them. Sadie was SO upset about these big dogs running all over her that she started screeching. It was heart wrenching to the point that I was tearing up. The puppies had her backed into a corner and she was completely freaked out. It only lasted maybe a minute before the trainer came over and guided the bigger dogs away, but Sadie and I were both completely traumatized.

I feel stupid for even admitting this, but I actually cried when I got home because I felt like such a bad mommy for letting my baby get so upset :-(

She seems okay now and is napping. I just don't want her to think I'm a bad mom and that I don't love her :-(

This is Sadie after the play time incident.. She was literally squishing herself into the fence as hard as she could. I picked her up right after.

Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I want her to be well socialized but I never want her to be that upset ever again :-/ the noise she made was just horrendous

Traumatized-imageuploadedbypg-free1352945368.417100.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kaeco510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

That does not sound good. Gustave is also the smallest puppy and often backs away when others start playing rough. Our trainer always asks me to take him out and just observe. We try again in a few minutes and he participates sometimes. If he doesn't, our trainer again separates him from the pack.

Your trainer's approach does not sound right to me. And there is NO way this makes you a bad mommy.

eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Poor baby!! I would've been horrified myself! Leila just completed her puppy classes and the trainer we had was great. He never had us take our puppies off their leashes. I'm so glad your little fluff didn't get hurt! How did he know one of those bigger ones wasn't going to hurt her?

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I would of had a heart attack!!!! I worry about Dewey with my OWN three, let alone bigger strange dog's!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie

The trainer had me hold Sadie for the rest of play time, but we both were already upset at that point. Sadie is SO quiet so to hear her make any noise, never mind that horrible screeching, was just awful. I think next class I will speak to the trainer ahead of time and tell her that I really just don't feel comfortable letting her off leash with these dogs.

Sadie doesn't seem too mad at me so that's good. She snuggled up next to me on the couch and took a nap when we got home.

I didn't think I was capable of loving something so much as I love this dog

kaeco510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Robin
Dog's Name: Phoebe Trixibell (adopted) and Griffin (Bonnie's Angel)

Kaitlin, don't feel silly or stupid for crying. You love your baby and best of all, Sadie knows that you do, no matter what! You never want her to be hurt or upset so when this happened, it's only natural that you would feel bad for taking her there. Now, let yourself off the hook and just enjoy your baby. I don't have advice for you regarding puppy school, but I'm sure others will. You are a GREAT mommy!

I would hate to live in a world without dogs, glass, or wine...
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

My advice ? I would NOT go back to this class !! Scaring them to death will not socialize them.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

How horrible! Where did you take her for these classes? Was the trainer certified? It sounds like the trainer had no idea what she was doing.

I don't blame you for being upset! It is inexcusable for the trainer to allow this with a group of puppies she knew nothing about. Poor, poor Sadie.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
My advice ? I would NOT go back to this class !! Scaring them to death will not socialize them.
My thoughts exactly.

eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

That is horrible, i would not be going back to that class and possibly asking for a refund. Poor Sadie and poor you. Don't beat yourself up, your not a bad mommy, that is a really uneducated trainer.

Kelly is in beginners obedience and she is the smallest one there, she is surrounded by dogs that are 50lbs and bigger. The trainer has us sit in a spot away from the other dogs and the ones the seem more aggressive she has the owner and dog sit behind a gated part of the training center, still part of the class, but the dog is away from other dogs that way there will be no fights and no one is off leash. One dog couldn't concentrate at all when she saw other dogs, she was in a gated part of the training center and the trainer put a blanket over the gate so the dog couldn't see the other dogs, the owners decided on private classes for the dog after the one class. I really love the trainer we have, well i should say both trainers (one works training dolphins, seals and otters at the Gulfarium) she works alot with me and Kelly and they both only use positive reinforcement.