Just saw a coyote trot down our street in broad daylight.. - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

Great, one of my neighbors told me he saw two coyotes running along ppls patios... (Condo complex in woods) and Maggie said there are 3 and turns out she lives right behind my street! Might have to start pad training.. Don't want to be paranoid but I keep reading bad stories about coyotes attacking small dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Jojo
Dog's Name: Daisy & Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkieYorkie View Post
Great, one of my neighbors told me he saw two coyotes running along ppls patios... (Condo complex in woods) and Maggie said there are 3 and turns out she lives right behind my street! Might have to start pad training.. Don't want to be paranoid but I keep reading bad stories about coyotes attacking small dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
That's what happened to Jessica Simpson's maltipoo about a year - year & a half ago. Poor Daisy Mae
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Rocky & Paulie

I also live in an area that has coyotes, and have too seen them in broad daylight. For this reason, my dogs are both outside and pad trained. We only go outside when its daylight and they are both on leashes at all times when outdoors. Once night falls, if they need to potty, they use pads.

We do live in a rural area, so when walking them, my SO is armed. I am terrified of coyotes (and snakes) though, so we don't go for many walks, and for this reason, I would never walk them alone.

One word of caution though - I have heard stories of coyotes grabbing leashed dogs, and catching the owner by surprise, causing the leash to be jerked out of their hands and the coyote to get away with the dog! For this reason, I keep a death grip on their leashes when outdoors. I always remind myself that just because I don't see a coyote when I scan the yard, doesn't mean they are not there, like any animal they are capable of hiding until they think the moment is right.

Momma2Rocky & Paulie
Momma2Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Girl View Post
That's what happened to Jessica Simpson's maltipoo about a year - year & a half ago. Poor Daisy Mae
I remember that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Rocky View Post
I also live in an area that has coyotes, and have too seen them in broad daylight. For this reason, my dogs are both outside and pad trained. We only go outside when its daylight and they are both on leashes at all times when outdoors. Once night falls, if they need to potty, they use pads.

We do live in a rural area, so when walking them, my SO is armed. I am terrified of coyotes (and snakes) though, so we don't go for many walks, and for this reason, I would never walk them alone.

One word of caution though - I have heard stories of coyotes grabbing leashed dogs, and catching the owner by surprise, causing the leash to be jerked out of their hands and the coyote to get away with the dog! For this reason, I keep a death grip on their leashes when outdoors. I always remind myself that just because I don't see a coyote when I scan the yard, doesn't mean they are not there, like any animal they are capable of hiding until they think the moment is right.

Momma2Rocky & Paulie
That is frightening... I frequently take them out at night by myself because my bf works nights.. til midnight at the earliest. They do use pads (we keep some down just in case) but I'm afraid of them not using them all the time, which they are known to do quite often.. The condo complex I live in is VERY dog friendly, almost everyone here owns a dog or 2 or 3 it seems. I am constantly scared that one is going to come out of nowhere or from the trees/bushes

That is so scary about them taking them even while on a leash. You bet your @#$ that I'd chase after it and get my baby back! I would kick a coyote's face if I had to. If it came down to it, I would most likely risk my own safety if my babies were in danger. But yeah, nighttime scares me because not all of the areas are super well lit.. but maybe from now on I should just stay within the well-lit areas right across the street from the front door.. this is so scary

Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Rocky & Paulie

Quote:
I remember that!!

That is frightening... I frequently take them out at night by myself because my bf works nights.. til midnight at the earliest. They do use pads (we keep some down just in case) but I'm afraid of them not using them all the time, which they are known to do quite often.. The condo complex I live in is VERY dog friendly, almost everyone here owns a dog or 2 or 3 it seems. I am constantly scared that one is going to come out of nowhere or from the trees/bushes

That is so scary about them taking them even while on a leash. You bet your @#$ that I'd chase after it and get my baby back! I would kick a coyote's face if I had to. If it came down to it, I would most likely risk my own safety if my babies were in danger. But yeah, nighttime scares me because not all of the areas are super well lit.. but maybe from now on I should just stay within the well-lit areas right across the street from the front door.. this is so scary
If you have to go out at night, I would stay in well-lit areas, for your safety, and theirs. I am right there with you though, that I would hands down put myself in harms way if my babies were in danger.

I know that not being able to take them out at night is not the ideal situation, however, I think with some consistency, you can get them adjusted to a schedule, where they are used to one last potty before nightfall. My dogs know that once we go out in the evening, that's it for the night, so they take care of both parts of the business like clockwork. Paulie usually ends up using the pad every night, and Rocky typically holds it until morning, but the pads are available to them both at all times in case they need them.

If there is a change in my schedule for some reason and I am not home to let them out before dark, they will use the pads, I assume, at their regular potty time.

I have considered transitioning to pads only - but currently the schedule is working for us, so I let it be. If there is the occasional accident by the back door, I'll happily clean it, rather than risk my babies safety.

Stay safe out there! With the time change I hate that its getting dark so early now!

Momma2Rocky & Paulie
Momma2Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

When I walk Bailey at night I carry a stun baton. Just the noise of the taser would hopefully scare off a coyote or mugger. Mine also has an alarm that could wake the dead!

I also never ever use a retractable leash. I prefer a 5' lead (I am 5'10") or, if you are shorter, a 4' leash. I swear by Buddy Belts and have actually hauled Bailey up by his harness.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We stopped using retractable leashes... I have read some scary stories about coyotes snatching a dog on a retractable leash and the owner didn't have a good grip and...

I am psyching myself out and am starting to fear taking the pups out to potty at night... which occurs at 4:30 these days

Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
We stopped using retractable leashes... I have read some scary stories about coyotes snatching a dog on a retractable leash and the owner didn't have a good grip and...

I am psyching myself out and am starting to fear taking the pups out to potty at night... which occurs at 4:30 these days
Are they pad trained? I am a big believer in cross training. I always take Bailey out for "last call" about 10:30 pm, but if the weather is bad or it is later he knows to use his pads.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

That is scary! But, in a sense, aren't you glad you saw the coyote in broad daylight? Now you know even during the day you have to be really careful. I'm sure seeing it with your own eyes will keep you even more alert...which is good in a way. That is a total bummer, though, having to always be on the lookout!

I'm the cray lady (and my husband, too) that take the dogs out on their leashes in our FENCED BACKYARD! We have a 6' wood fence with nowhere to escape and I still won't leave the dogs unsupervised out there for even 2 minutes. Hehe I don't know how people can handle doggy doors! I told my husband at our next house I would like to build an enclosed covered dog potty area with a doggy door so the dogs can go in and out as they please but they are fully enclosed (like a screened-in porch I guess but with grass).
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Just saw a coyote as I was pulling into work this morning... it had a huge, bloody bone in its mouth... The exact same spot I saw him run out of was where I saw a pretty good-sized buck Saturday morning...

The library I work at (Oak Brook for anyone who lives in Chicagoland) is in a wooded area which is also surrounded by old polo fields which are now used for soccer, and I've seen deer last winter. My boss and one of the pages said they saw a carcass it was eating... I am guessing it was that of a deer, we are hoping it wasn't a dog..

So scary, guys... one of my co-workers says to clap at them if you see one to scare it off. My upstairs neighbor told me she was walking her dog and a coyote ran right past her on the street and she is scared to take her dog out... he is a rather large rat terrier, but it is hard to predict what these animals will go after..

Needless to say, ever since seeing that one in daylight I have been on high alert, paranoid if you will. Especially at nighttime, I am CONSTANTLY looking around, which is scary with two little dogs...

All of the coyote attacks on dogs I have read about in this area have happened when their dog was unattended, but on Deb's coyote thread, it said someone's dog was taken while ON LEASH. This is TERRIFYING to me. We don't use retractable leashes, but I am terrified that one will jump out of the bushes and grab one of the dogs; I would obviously not let them take them, but I am so scared that they will attack them before I can stop it and seriously injure or kill them...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement