Back from vacation... Grooming disaster :( - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)
Default Back from vacation... Grooming disaster :(

I am officially back home after 17 days in Asia. We toured Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Taiwan (with a few other surrounding cities in between). I am SO happy to be home and to be back with Obi He was very, very happy staying with my mother-in-law! We facetimed her via Ipad every few days and he was happy as can be playing 24/7 with her chihuahua-mix.

However, his coat was practically ruined I have spent over 15 hours since getting back home 2 days ago working on his hair. The mats were ENORMOUS and close to the skin. To shave all of the mats off meant practically shaving him right to the skin. I worked through the mats only to at least make his hair at least 1/4 inch instead of non-existent. *SIGH* His tail is ruined with at least 40% of the volume gone. Yes, I did cry while working on his hair. My MIL did try very hard to brush him but it wasn't enough. I don't blame her except the fact that she cut his hair on his face (!) for some unknown reason which I am also really sad about because his hair pokes his eyes now and caused more staining.

So, it is back to square one. I can't bring myself to post a picture of him yet because his hair is so choppy. It looks like a modified Town and Country lamb cut with a short body and longer legs. Surprisingly, his fluffy chest hair remained almost intact! LOL! go figure- the notorious manly chest! I trimmed it down some to match his body. Hopefully, in a few weeks, the hair will at least grow out some so I can begin to even it out. I'm glad I have the tools to cut his hair at home because I'm pretty sure a groomer would have just shaved him completely down.

All in all, hair will grow out and I'm just thankful that he remained healthy and happy. There are many other things to be grateful for in life and I try to look on the positive side of life always. At least, Obi can sport some cute clothes in the mean time

We've missed you all and I apologize if I've missed any big news while on vacation. :hugs:

Last edited by hoaloha; 11-19-2012 at 04:07 PM.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert

Hope you had a great time away and I'm sure wee obi will back to normal in no time by Christmas too and there's so many cute sweaters you can go buy !! X
Lynzodolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Marisa...hope you had a great vacation. I can just imagine what you had to go through with Obi's hair. But I am sure he looks great and in a couple of weeks you will see more growth and then the fun starts all over again. They are high maintenance but worth it.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Welcome back from vacation! Obi would look adorable no matter how short or choppy his hair is and at least it grows fast!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Welcome back!!! So glad you had a great time!! I can imagine how you feel about Obi's hair! He!s such a cutie, he'll look cute no matter what!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

Marissa -- so glad that you're home and that you had such a good time on your trip. It sounds like Obi had a lot of fun with your MIL and her Chi -- and remember -- hair will grow back fast. I bet Obi doesn't care at all what his hair looks like.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
TLR
Maltese Guru

Name: Tracey
Dog's Name: Ben

Welcome home. Glad you had a good time. So sorry about Obi...I know that must have been devastating to you. The good part or should I say the great part is you have Obi back in your arms!!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey (L.A. North Central Animal Shelter)

Welcome home, Marisa! You are wise to look on the bright side that Obi was happy and healthy while you were away. Hair is just hair (I have to tell myself that on a daily basis with my own bad haircut LOL!). It will grow back.

Hugs,

Elisabeth & Zooey
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Oh Marisa, I know how upset you are. I remember that you even trimmed him shorter hoping to avoid what happened. Once I had to go away for several weeks. I had a sitter come in during the day while DH was a work. I even demonstrated how to brush Ray, but she never did it down to the skin. He looked fine, but was a mass of tangles close to the skin. DH and I both spent hours and hours get him brushed through.

Obi is a very beautiful dog, and you work hard to keep him that way. As others have said, his hair will grow back. All the same, right now it feels sad. Next time you go away, leave Obi with me...I'll brush him every day.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle
Dog's Name: Maisie Rose

Marissa. so glad you are home safe and sound and that Obi is safe and sound. I know you must have worked so hard to save his coat. Obi is a gorgeous little boy with or without hair but I feel your frustration.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Advertisement