Family members who hate dogs - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Diana
Dog's Name: Lola
Question Family members who hate dogs

For Thanksgiving, we're going to my husband's cousin's house for dinner. His cousin and his cousin's family love animals so we're taking Lola mainly bc we're going back to my mom's for the weekend after Thanksgiving. But my husband's dad and sister HATE animals (bunnies, puppies, kittens, care bears: basically anything remotely cute). My mother in law was not initially a big fan of Lola but she's come around and now she always greets Lola specially.

His dad thinks all animals are dirty even though he has admitted that he's noticed that Lola is cleaner than most dogs (duh! She's a spoiled maltese!). His sister says she wants a dog but she doesn't want the responsibility (she's in college and can't even boil water for herself) and she's generally scared of any animals outside of fish even though she's never had a bad experience with any animals (biting, scratching, etc.). Oh and my husband has an uncle who hates dogs so much; he thinks they're the dirtiest things on the planet. He will not eat food prepared in a home that has dogs because he thinks the dogs infect the food (you know, because when people who own dogs make food, they make sure to rub it all over the dog before they cook it ). He won't be at Thanksgiving dinner, but I'm sure we'll see him over Christmas.

I don't expect everyone to dote on Lola, but she's just a dog. She doesn't bite; she gets along with the kids. She's not some deathly contagious disease! We're getting to that time of the year where we will be visiting lots of family. I guess I just wanted to know how everyone on SM deals with their family members who hate dogs in situations where you can't leave your dog somewhere else.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I dont have that problem, we are lucky in that both dh and I come from families of dog lovers. I can tell you honestly if we did have a problem with it, the individual would get over it, or we would not go to visit.

I do make sure, when we are with family on holidays to bring crates, and ask others to make certain the dogs are not getting on their nerves. I dunno about you guys, but when I visit someone it is really annoying to me to have a dog constantly in my face or constantly licking me, and dogs are my favorite people!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

Hearing about people that hate dogs, it really breaks my heart! If my dogs are not accepted then I just dont go. I dont want to be around negative people like that!!! Sorry about your in-laws :-(
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Diana
Dog's Name: Lola

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
I dont have that problem, we are lucky in that both dh and I come from families of dog lovers. I can tell you honestly if we did have a problem with it, the individual would get over it, or we would not go to visit.

I do make sure, when we are with family on holidays to bring crates, and ask others to make certain the dogs are not getting on their nerves. I dunno about you guys, but when I visit someone it is really annoying to me to have a dog constantly in my face or constantly licking me, and dogs are my favorite people!
We do try to make sure Lola isn't getting on anyone's nerves by doing something but her existence is what gets on their nerves. Lola isn't a licker and spends most of her time either playing with the kids or following me around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltese manica View Post
Hearing about people that hate dogs, it really breaks my heart! If my dogs are not accepted then I just dont go. I dont want to be around negative people like that!!! Sorry about your in-laws :-(
Me too! I wouldn't bring Lola if it was JUST his dad and sister but not going to a big family event just because two people hate our dog makes me feel like I'm letting the bullies win in this case.

Family politics stink.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

My mom is the only family member that is not"animal friendly" but my dad, brother, and their wives and kids are... Mom is out numbered, so the dogs go too!!! I will take the x pen and crate for Dewey. They don't need to be underfoot anyhow, but I want them with us!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

We have some non-dog friendly people in the family. Some are coming out in a few days!

Those are the people Gus has issues with... and to be honest, I don't really care for them much myself LOL

I always say my dogs are the best judges of people... if they like them, I know I will like them. If they don't... I know I should be more cautious. They have never been wrong!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

My family all LOVE animals, and this Christmas they'll all get to meet Sophie. I was just informed my cousin got a Christmas present for Sophie before anyone else in the family. How funny is that? For the most part my BF's family I animal friendly, his grandma is kind of put off by small dogs because his aunt has 3 misbehaved and not well groomed miniature poodles. But she's not as irritated with Sophie as most dogs. She just likes to admire from afar. Everyone else we know loves animals though. I'm sorry your in laws feel so strongly against them, it's just sad

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

My dad hates my dogs (too girly for him),he only liked our german shepherd but she passed away.He only liked her since he had one as a kid. One time he kicked at my fluffs and that was the last time he came over,I put them in the other room,he still complained...after I told him to leave. It's my house...
I figure,I want to spend the holidays with whom I wish and my dogs are better company than my relatives...so I pick my fluffs or people who like fluffs and kitties...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Teresa
Dog's Name: Peetle, & Mae West!

They sound so rude and self-absorbed! Pity you can't crate them for the duration of the visit.

FWIW, I say just pointedly ignore them and their theatrics all you can, they sound like they're attention-seeking much more than dog-disliking. Maybe you can point out that Christmas is a holiday that doesn't require a different martyr and maybe they could oh, I don't know....grow up and use their manners since they've made their feelings known and you still plan on loving and bringing your dog (as does the rest of your family). Seriously, why don't they suck it up and shut it? It's just a little dog, all they have to do is not pet her and not interact with her.

I've had people give me the evil eye for bringing my dog to a Christmas party, and then do the "OOO, we are going to talk about YOU, crazy dog lady!" smirk...till later when I got to remind them that their hyperactive, sugared out kids were far more disruptive at the party than my dog sitting (and being generally adored) on my lap all night was. That did feel pretty good.
Peetle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Teresa
Dog's Name: Peetle, & Mae West!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellerobison View Post
My dad hates my dogs (too girly for him),he only liked our german shepherd but she passed away.He only liked her since he had one as a kid. One time he kicked at my fluffs and that was the last time he came over,I put them in the other room,he still complained...after I told him to leave. It's my house...
I figure,I want to spend the holidays with whom I wish and my dogs are better company than my relatives...so I pick my fluffs or people who like fluffs and kitties...
Good for you for doing what's right!
Peetle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement