Second dog - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Rose
Dog's Name: Bentley
Default Second dog

Hello all and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
any suggestions to adding a second dog to the family? I am single so it is just Bentley and I, and I do my best to keep him active. I send him to a doggy day care, take to the park, play constantly. He is 10 months old. I see him looking for things to do and he gets sooo bored!

I want another small, shed free dog..... would love another Maltese, even a Yorkie... any regrets out there from adding another dog to the family????
Attached Thumbnails
Second dog-img_3587.jpg  
RE823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Max, Buddy and Bunnie; Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving!
Bentley is so cute! It sounds like he has a wonderful busy life!
We added a second puppy and it is great! They are just the best of friends. They wrestle and chase each other around for most of the day.
Even though I play with them with toys quite a bit, there is no way that I could entertain them as much as they entertain each other. They keep each other busy all the time.
We had Daisy first, and when she was six months old we added Max. There is a three month age difference between them. We planned to have two from the beginning because we both work full time and didn't want to leave one at home alone.
Of course two are more work, but it is so worth it to see how much fun they have together.

Daisy and Max
Kathleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Oh Bentley is soooooo cute!!! He looks like he'd like to have a brother or sister!! I have 4 so I'm in favor of adding another!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I think adding a second dog is a great idea if you can handle it. A second dog is a lot of work and takes an adjustment period. It took me about 4 months to adjust to the added load of another dog. Right now I am sitting my sister's dog and 3 is just chaos LOL

Two is twice as long for bath time, twice as much food. Walks are the same but two at once Taking them out can be harder... getting two out the door is harder than just one. With one there is definitely more freedom, but two dogs are built in friendship. So that is nice too

I would recommend one thing though:

WAIT until Bently is at least 18 months old, 2 years is better.

You want him to be 100% housebroken and good on his training, and out of any "teenage" moody phases LOL This way he can help you with the new dog or puppy.

I know the only reason it wasn't as hard as it could have been with Grace is because Gus helped teach her the ropes. Grace potty trained much faster and she learned what to chew on, what not to chew on... how to play with her toys (and not destroy them)... thigns like that. She follows Gus.

Until he is at that point, I think all you are doing is great for Bently Maybe add in some training games or tricks when he is bored

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I'm all for it! Our Lab, Kaylee, has been great in helping keep Leila entertained when I've become too pooped to play anymore. It's fun to watch them together. But because of their size difference, I don't leave them alone together because I'm afraid that no matter how gentle Kaylee is with Leila, she could get over excited and accidently hurt Leila. It would be nice if I had another dog Leila's size so they could keep each other company when I'm at work though. I do agree with everything Tori said. I just read an article last night that said about the same things she just said and it makes sense to me. By the way, Bently is so cute!

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Rose
Dog's Name: Bentley

Thank you for the response!!! Bentley is a handful really active and a little OCD so I was thinking a brother or sister may help! In looking around all I can find are puppies, but then I run into issues of: reputable breeder, cost, etc.....

We are working on potty training with the "sod" potty indoor system, and its working but not sure if it would work with 2 dogs! Lots to think about
Thank you!!!
RE823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

It is lots to think about. Could you up his daycare? That may help...

When you are ready, maybe you should talk to a Maltese Rescue.... talk to them, let them know what you are looking for so that if in the future a young dog (or older puppy) comes in, they can let you know.

Let them know what kind of dog you are looking for -- a malt or yorkie (yorkies have rescues )... and Bently's temperament ... which won't be "settled" until 18 months. The breed specific rescues are all foster based, so they get to know the dog and can match you better...

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement