preparing for First night - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Damara
Dog's Name: Paris Beauty
Default preparing for First night

My little girl isn't home yet but want to be prepared to handle what's to come once she arrives.

I was reading different things pet parents use to comfort their pups the first night home.

A clock that ticks to console the pup because it mimics mom's heartbeat.
I will try this, have any of you tried this out?

I love the idea of the snugglepuppies and did some research on them, lots of reviews says the batteries dont last long and they need to be replaced frequently.

Thinking about buying a plush stuffed animal now to start sleeping with it so it can pick up my scent. Then place it with her in her crate for the ride home and she'll have it at night too.

Her crate will be next to my bed along with the tick toc clock and with the stuffed animal...
What do you think?
damara23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

How old will your little one be when she comes home?? Usually it is 12 weeks old so that they are fully ready to leave there mother any earlier you will need to give your girl ALOT more care as this is vital time that she would be with her mother and still very much a baby.

Useful things to know with maltese is they like to be near you so a crate by the bed people tend to use or a play pen when they are older and potty trained alot of us allow them to sleep on the bed as they like to be close but not whilst they are a puppy.

You should try and get something that smells like her mum ie blanket from the breeder as this will comfort her when she gets home.

I would get a variety of toys stuffed ones and chew toys etc and she will choose what she is most interested in, i would use the blanket from the breeder in her bed or a nice snuggly one to make her feel cosy!

We never used the clock or anything like that just settled her into her bed at night and gave her lots of cuddles during the day. Maizy adapted very well we were very lucky.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I assume your baby will be 12 weeks when you bring her home???
I was also petrified about where she'd sleep and if she would cry all night.
Maybe I was just lucky, but Gucci was fine. The first night, I put her in her crate and she whined a bit. I laid on the floor with my finger in the crate and she fell asleep after about 5 minutes and I was good for the night. The second night was the same thing. Now, at 4 mos, if she isn't in bed with me (yes, I'm a sucker and I cracked) then I have her crate right next to my bed and she's fine as long as she knows I'm there.

I have heard a lot of people stick an old t-shirt in the crate so she smells it. But, honestly, if she IS 12 weeks, I think she will be fine!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizy Moo's Mum View Post
Useful things to know with maltese is they like to be near you so a crate by the bed people tend to use or a play pen when they are older and potty trained alot of us allow them to sleep on the bed as they like to be close but not whilst they are a puppy.
Oh yeah, I learned the hard way why you shouldn't let them sleep in bed with you as a puppy. Pooped (woke up to the smell and her EATING it)...and peed...so guess who needs a new comforter :/

But, she's just so cute!!!! I know....I am gonna regret it!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Damara
Dog's Name: Paris Beauty

I was under the impression that even at 12 weeks they will still cry and miss mom and littermates.
So looks like she'll be okay then.

I'm not going to let mine sleep in the bed with me, I have a fear that I'll roll on top of her or accidentally kick her. but I will sleep on the floor with my hand in the crate if necessary.
damara23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

She may very well still cry even if she is 12 weeks but it is still a much better age to leave the mummy.

I would judge it when you get her home if she gets upset then you may be able to soothe her in her crate and go to bed yourself or she may simply be very good and go to bed with no trouble it is a learning experience and when you have your baby home you will know what best to do.

Maizy was very good and used to go to bed no problem when she was a little older she would start to whine at 2am and we would send her back to bed. Then when she was potty trained we let her sleep on the bed as this is where she is happiest. Every puppy is different and you know whats right to do when you meet her!!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Many breeders start getting their puppies used to crates or xpens away from their mother around 10 weeks.... Not for long periods, but enough that the puppies begin to have a positive association with them.

Grace slept in a laundry basket on my bed for the first few months. It was a great "mini xpen".... loved her laundry basket days!

I put her out at 10, got up around 2, and then again at 6 to let her potty.... after the second night getting up at 2am she sat on the ground and refused to budge with a look of, "Why are you waking me up???" LOL .... So I stopped. she never had any night time accidents. Slept through the night great

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
I put her out at 10, got up around 2, and then again at 6 to let her potty.... after the second night getting up at 2am she sat on the ground and refused to budge with a look of, "Why are you waking me up???" LOL .... So I stopped. she never had any night time accidents. Slept through the night great
Hahaha....I was waking up to take Gucci out and got the SAME look. It really is a "SERIOUSLY??? You bring me out here, in the freezing cold, and tell me to 'go pee-pee'....do I LOOK like I wanna go pee-pee when my eyes are closed????"

She's had two accidents in the month I have had her, but she's been really good about sleeping through the night, so I don't bother waking her up any more.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barb
Dog's Name: Spookie

Before Spookie came home I sent an old tshirt to her breeder and asked for it to be put in the x-pen with mom and siblings. To let it be pottied on, played with and soak up those smells. Then when she did come home, that went in her soft crate on my bed. The first few nights were fine, then no problems.

Think before you pink
Do you know how the money is spent?
spookiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

That's a great idea Barb!

Could send a tshirt, towel, or a blanket

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement