Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Sling style carriers

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Hunter's Mom 
#1 ·
Wanted to try to get some feedback on sling style carriers. There are times I'd really like to bring Tyler along without him in a bag and was wondering about the slings. Anyone have them? Like/dislike them and why? I'm also very short 5'1" and worry they may hang down too far because of that. I saw some on ETSY that were cute and not crazy expensive. And you know me, I'm not a fan of crazy expensive :blush:...I'd rather use the money for rescues.

#11 ·
I actually got the Susan Lanci carrier
Cuddle Carrier by Susan Lanci Black | Designer Dog Purses at Glamourmutt.com
I really like it. I'm also short (5'1) so I know what you mean, but it is adjustable and she does pretty well in there. It is actually on sale today for Cyber Monday, but it's $108 regular priced, so that may be too much.

I love this bag, but it is high for me. huuuuummmm. I really need one for when I need to pick one of them up. Can they sit down and see out or do they have to stand up? mine are average height about 5.0 each. Penny is taller than sammie though by a head.

#3 ·
I use a baby sling I got for $6 from a kids resell store LOL When she was a little puppy I put a blanket in the bottom to be like a "pillow" and boost her up.

I've been using it a lot the last few weeks with Grace in heat... she is wanting extra cuddles.

#4 ·
Sue, I have 2--one is the Susan Lanci I won in this yrs. rescue raffle---it is the BMW of carriers---very nice! I have a Trixie (European one) that I love in cloth---it was a bit "dear" as well, but has worked for Kitzi & Lisi (not together)---so now DH & I can both carry one each. I have a "purse" but it isn't as comfy for the pups---I love the slings. I am not very tall either so that can be an issue. Some have adjustable straps.
The Susan Lanci one has a very warm, kushlie interior--the other one is more of a summer sling. Kitzi has taken over the Lanci one---he snuggles down inside all comfy! I went for the "fawn" color so DH would feel good carrying it too!

#6 ·
I once saw a woman who had one, it was red, she had it adjusted almost up to her neck. Seems like it was a nylon material. I have spine issues, and this was so high up it might not hurt. Sorry I can't be more specific, it was 3 years ago. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Oh, she had a rescued Maltese in it.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I really didn't want to spend as much as the Lanci carrier but I'll check all out. I did see some very cute and reasonable ones on Etsy. I'm going to try to try some out in the pet boutiques near me. So funny but tonight while I was at Winter's Eve, a big holiday celebration running from Lincoln Center to the Time Warner Center I thought people were nuts to bring dogs and kids in strollers. It was SOOO congested with people trying to get to food tasting tents. I got on one line and there was a woman in front of me with a dog in a sling. :w00t: It was a rather large poodle but she had a Fundle carrier and liked it a lot. She said I would need a small. What were chances that on the day I posted this that someone would have their dog in one in front of me? :blink:

#10 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll have to do some exploring and see if I can try some out at the boutiques here in NYC. I did see some very cute reasonable ones on Ebay. Never thought of looking at a baby carrier but that might work too. Funny but at a night time event I went to tonight a woman in front of me had her rather large poodle in a Fundle. She liked it a lot. Hers was a large. Great ideas :chili::chili:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.