food and bathroom questions - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jerry
Dog's Name: Louie
Default food and bathroom questions

As most of you know I have a Louie dog. He is about 8 lbs and has a nice build, no fat. He goes through a 4 lb bag of food in a month, does that seem about right? Also, he poops twice a day every day, once in the morning and once at night. He p's about every 3 hours and if he goes for more than about 6 hours without being able to get outside he has a PP accident. I don't scold him for it I just clean it up as I know it wasn't his fault, when you got to go you got to go, lol Does this all sound about right for a 5 year old Louie dog?

At the Bridge...
Smokey my Shepard/Husky mix
Brutus and Trooper, Doberman's
Tera, Great Dane
Ralph, Mixed assortment of furry beasts
Gremlin, Husky
Peanut, Dachshund
Slick and Mr. Foo, cat brothers
Chubby my big fat gray cat with tighty whitey's
Skinny butt, mixed breed female cat
rag-a-muffin, wild haired mixed breed cat
Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Do you know how much you feed Louie at each meal. I also feed twice a day but I measure all the food. It sure helps to know exactly how much I am feeding. Jerry, hope your feeling good.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
Do you know how much you feed Louie at each meal. I also feed twice a day but I measure all the food. It sure helps to know exactly how much I am feeding. Jerry, hope your feeling good.

I just fill his bowl every morning, its not a large bowl and it takes him all day and night to finish it. He eats like a bird, he grabs a mouthful, carries it into the living room eats it and then goes back to playing or sleeping. I don't think I've ever seen him go back for a second mouthful for at least another hour. Plus, I figure 4 lbs divided by 30 days isn't really much food considering my cat eats some of it too even though she has her own bowl she likes to sample dog food too.

At the Bridge...
Tera, Great Dane
Gremlin, Husky
Peanut, Dachshund
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I forgot to mention, I'm feeling ok, well as good as I can be considering. I had a real bad night a couple days ago, woke up in the middle of the night and barely made it to the bathroom, everything in my stomach erupted like a volcano, I've never thrown up so bad in my life. I couldn't even move afterwards and had to just lay on the bathroom floor until I could gather enough strength to make it to the couch. I was too afraid to go back to sleep for fear that if it happened again and I didn't wake up I could drown. Scared me to death. No clue what brought it on, no fever, no cold, flu or anything like that. I thought about possibly food poisening but realized that everything I ate that day was safe, mostly drinking Boost and ensure and one peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

At the Bridge...
Tera, Great Dane
Gremlin, Husky
Peanut, Dachshund
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Oh....so that makes it difficult to know how much he is actually eating. I wouldn't worry unless you feel he is too thin. It's funny how they pick up food and bring it to another room to eat. At least there is enough food in the bowl if he wants and when he is hungry he will eat it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Sorry to hear you got so sick. Maybe you just had a 24 bug or something. Hopefully your feeling better now and it won't happen again. It's always something though, isn't it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Yes, I feel a bit better, still a bit scared.

Louie gets plenty of exercise, he loves to play with my cat, they run around like little maniacs. He also loves to play fetch in the house a couple times a day and I keep throwing the ball until he brings it back and lays down to rest. Also, like I said, 4 lbs of food spread over a month isn't really much food at all. He has a decent sized chest and a thin belly, can't pinch any fat on him anywhere. From chest to waist he has a V shape tapering down from the chest to his belly. He is shaped like a dog body builder, lol

At the Bridge...
Tera, Great Dane
Gremlin, Husky
Peanut, Dachshund
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

How much does Louie weigh? Do you think he eats a 1/2 cup a day?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
How much does Louie weigh? Do you think he eats a 1/2 cup a day?

He weighs about 8-9 lbs. Its hard to tell exactly how much he eats since my cat eats some of his food too. My cats bowl is up out of Louie's reach but where my cat can easily get to it. If I had to guess, and it seems I do, he probably eats between half a cup and 3/4's a cup a day. But he isn't a dainty little fluff, he's a biker garage dog that would rather be out in the garage working with me than laying around the house. I also make sure he gets plenty of exercise. We even chase each other around the house playing and wrestling, he always wins the wrestling matches and I end up pinned and licked!

He gets daily examines from me, I look over every inch of him for any changes or possible problems. He also gets massages daily (I wish I did!) When I massage him I always watch his reactions for anything that may be hurting. His teeth are perfect and white, no tartar build up or discoloration. He is also extremely smart and picks up new commands just like he has been speaking English all his life. It is amazing, I can say just about anything to him and he seems to know exactly what I mean.

He loves baby carrots, one of his favorite treats and he gets almost zero human food unless I know for a fact it is safe for him and even then he only gets a very small piece. He knows when we are eating he is not allowed to beg so he just lays down on the floor and gives us those eyes that say " boy I sure would like to try that" But I don't give in to that. He only gets a treat of human food when we are not eating and it is only once or twice a month and a very small amount, like the size of a quarter. Of course baby carrots he gets one almost every day.

At the Bridge...
Tera, Great Dane
Gremlin, Husky
Peanut, Dachshund
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Well it does sound like he is getting enough food. And his bathroom habits sound normal. Looks like your doing a good job with Louie....massages and all, Louie is a lucky boy and is living the good life. Carrots are a great treat too. Glad to hear he cannot get near the cat's food because cat food has much more protein than dog food and too much protein for this little guys isn't good.