Golden retriever running towards your maltese, what would you have done? - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I would just be very careful in the future....you were lucky that this dog was not aggressive. I think you acted properly but knowing me I would have picked Zoe up.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

I am so glad Gustave didn't get hurt. I would pick mine up if I had time.
Here's my story about big "friendly" dogs and a 5 lb Maltese. Anything can happen in blink of an eye even when ours are in a stroller.

This is my old thread. It really doesn't capture how bad he was the shaking and crying for hour.

(He is ok I think)Sammie attacked by Labador 1 hr ago

Last edited by SammieMom; 11-28-2012 at 10:02 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
This is my old thread. It really doesn't capture how bad he was the shaking and crying for hour.

(He is ok I think)Sammie attacked by Labador 1 hr ago
Oh no, that's so sad and scary.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Yes, a neighbors friendly dogs off leash that decided mine was something to play with. Everything changes i believe in a dogs mind when they are off leash. There's no way to know what will happen until its too late. Thank god I saved him, but it changed my little boy.

Last edited by SammieMom; 11-28-2012 at 10:25 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkieYorkie View Post
But what if its a large dog that you know well? I don't go to dog parks but my bfs sisters black lab, who really is the most docile dog, I feel is safe to be around my fluffs with supervision... Do u rly think any dog can get confused like that, or just at the park where the dogs are running and playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
That is different.

That is a smaller setting and you know the owner so can trust that they know their dog.

It is different in a public setting when you are at a dog park.

Gus and Grace socialize with my doctor's two large breed dogs. I know them. I know my doctor. I know she will control her dogs and we keep things low key and calm. They aer not allowed to play... just hang out together. If anyone starts looking like they want to play we separate them. Not a big deal.

Dog parks are dogs running and playing and chasing things..... Not very controlled.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

I think I'd be uncomfortable in the park if I couldn't watch the gate for anyone arriving (and letting their dog off leash) while Gustave was running free, likely out of reach. You could be in a situation where you couldn't get between the 2 dogs. Could be a friendly encounter or maybe not. I know Jodi is not socialized as well as he could be but I've decided (since a greyhound snapped at him - I think it was just a normal warning behaviour thou) he doesn't have to be friends with all the big dogs in our neighborhood. I don't know the owners or the dogs. He meets alot of the smaller dogs and enjoys that. I would love it if he was OK around big dogs, I love seeing big and small playing but I'm too nervous about something happening. Small dog park sounds like a good idea and less risky.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
That is different.

That is a smaller setting and you know the owner so can trust that they know their dog.

It is different in a public setting when you are at a dog park.

Gus and Grace socialize with my doctor's two large breed dogs. I know them. I know my doctor. I know she will control her dogs and we keep things low key and calm.

Dog parks are dogs running and playing and chasing things..... Not very controlled.
I couldn't agree more!

My sister has a wonderful HUGE Lab that I trust completely with Bailey when we visit. It not just the size of the dog, but the temperament. There are some small dogs who are very aggressive that I would not leave Bailey alone with.

Dogs can behave very differently off leash and in a group setting like a dog park, pack mentality can also be an issue. Some owners have excellent voice control over their off leash dogs, but many don't.

I don't do dog parks for that reason. I've found a daycare nearby that separates dogs by size and temperament and is very well supervised. The owners interact with the dogs and engage them in play (they have a little agility course with tunnels, etc) I am going to be brave and try it next week for a few hours. Bailey is very social and loves other dogs so I want him to be able play off leash at least once a week.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
I couldn't agree more!

My sister has a wonderful HUGE Lab that I trust completely with Bailey when we visit. It not just the size of the dog, but the temperament. There are some small dogs who are very aggressive that I would not leave Bailey alone with.

Dogs can behave very differently off leash and in a group setting like a dog park, pack mentality can also be an issue. Some owners have excellent voice control over their off leash dogs, but many don't.

I don't do dog parks for that reason. I've found a daycare nearby that separates dogs by size and temperament and is very well supervised. The owners interact with the dogs and engage them in play (they have a little agility course with tunnels, etc) I am going to be brave and try it next week for a few hours. Bailey is very social and loves other dogs so I want him to be able play off leash at least once a week.
Off topic, but i do think allowing them to play off leash with other dogs is SO important, they are totally different off leash than on leash. Steve is pretty reactive when he's on leash, especially with larger dogs. But off leash? Never EVER a problem. He's a totally different dog - very social, no fear, no barking, nothing. And he's so much happier after a good romp with a friend! I guess if you have more than one fluff they get this all the time, but like Marj, I am a one fluff girl so we have to make arrangements for off leash play. Luckily Steve has lots of friends close by, large and small.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
Can of pennies is a good idea. There's no way you could scoop up more than one (max two) fluff that quick.

I am glad I live in the city. Carrying a gun sounds scary, but I don't know how else you would fend off coyotes if attacked suddenly.
I couldn't begin to scoop up five fluffs, that's for sure... We live in a pretty open area,lots of open fields so hopefully I'd see the coyote first...

I had a ground hog come barreling out of a hole in a field towards me, it just kept coming like it was crazy,so I had to shoot, turns out it was a mother guarding babies.. I felt really bad , I wasn't even close to the den and it ran quite away towards me charging me... I thought it had rabies the way it acted...

I think it was the dogs that scared her do it. Al went back with me and we checked, the den. So we went back set up live traps , trapped the little ones, 4 of them and took them to a wild life rescue,a few weeks later they were released...
You never know what will come out after you in the country...

I was walking my dalmatian,she weighed about 50 pounds and a large lab mix tried to attack , it actually nipped her ankles a couple times...so I had to carry her high on one shoulder so it couldn't get her, carried her almost half a mile before it finally gave up and left us alone...

Weird thing, that lab mix never bothered me when I walked alone, it would watch and let me walk right by... but something about Duchess, set it off..

As I walked with Duchess on one shoulder,not one person stopped to help, just drove by and looked at us...
You just never know.

Usually loud noises like that will work,supposedly even on coyotes,but when it comes to wild animals,sorry not taking chances with rabies... use the gun...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Well, all 3 of mine are under 5 pounds...so we do not have contact with big dogs, ever. The issue is the size difference..even if the big dog is friendly, it could accidentally step on a 5 pound dog and seriously injure or kill it...and dog parks are an absolute no-no for mine...you were lucky that nothing happened..I would pick mine up every time. I am not willing to take the risk..