Golden retriever running towards your maltese, what would you have done? - Page 5 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #41 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Sammy

I would have picked my wee dog up as i'm too paranoid and we meet alot of big dogs when out and about, I usually have my bf with me when we go to the park. I keep him on his leash out and about and even when I have dropped it he doesn't leave my side. Glad your wee dog was okay and nothing happened, I'd have had a near heart attack.
lols82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #42 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

It's been 3 months and Dewey is just now allowed to play with my three, guess who's over protective?? That would be me!! LOL I think Hardy is a big dog at 10 or 11 pounds!! He he!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #43 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

I still can't believe that dog just grabbed Sammie out of his stroller and took off. Poor Sammie. still breaks my heart.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #44 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
I still can't believe that dog just grabbed Sammie out of his stroller and took off. Poor Sammie. still breaks my heart.
I remember that..it was so scary...I am so glad there was a good outcome for precious Sammie..he is not the first Maltese to be snatched from a stroller..I always keep mine zipped up...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #45 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Karen
Dog's Name: Bella and Jasmine (and Heidi at the Bridge)

I'm happy that was a friendly dog that approached you. One time hubby and I were walking Heidi (on leash) around our development when a big dog came running out of his house towards us. I immediately picked up Heidi. Good thing I did because the dog jumped up and tried to bite her. Owner of big dog didn't even apologize just said something dumb about how the dog is always getting out. Duh -- do something about that. Hubby had a few choice words for owner.

"In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog"
maltese#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #46 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltese#1fan View Post
I'm happy that was a friendly dog that approached you. One time hubby and I were walking Heidi (on leash) around our development when a big dog came running out of his house towards us. I immediately picked up Heidi. Good thing I did because the dog jumped up and tried to bite her. Owner of big dog didn't even apologize just said something dumb about how the dog is always getting out. Duh -- do something about that. Hubby had a few choice words for owner.
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, i was out walking Sammy with my bf when I just heard him saying 'pick him up quick' - as two large dogs had gotten out a garden and were heading straight for him. My wee Sammy just looked over my shoulder down at them as they headed straight for him then stood barking up at him
lols82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nida
Dog's Name: Emma Charlotte (CloudClan Maltese) and Bailey (Honorary Maltese)

I think you did a great job at keeping calm - honestly, I wouldn't have been so good about that! I am extremely PARANOID when it comes to Bailey and tend to freak out way more than I should but I always tell myself it's better to be safe than sorry. The scenario you described has actually happened to us several times. I live in an apartment complex where there are a lot of big dogs so I always have to be extremely vigilant. I don't like Bailey to get close to ANY bigger dogs whether they're on a leash or not...I don't care how friendly the owner claims their dog is! If I knew the dog very, very, very well then perhaps I would let Bailey play with it...but so far, I don't know any big or even medium-sized dogs I would feel comfortable allowing Bailey to play with.

I have a couple of stories to share. The first happened a couple of months ago, when I was taking Bailey out for his morning walk in our complex. All of a sudden, I see a huge dog RUNNING towards us off-leash. Of course I panicked and immediately moved to pick up Bailey. I was on grass which was kind of wet so I slipped and fell, but still pulled Bailey kind of under me so he'd be away from the bigger dog. I felt like the biggest, clumsiest fool but I didn't care. In the mean time, the owner came running up and caught the dog right before he reached us - apparently, he had been jogging with the dog off leash. He apologized and swore his dog was really sweet and friendly. Okay great, but how do I know this and why would I trust your dog who I have never seen before!? Keep your dogs on leash, people!!

My other story is from our agility class. In one of Bailey's classes, it was just him and two other very big dogs who were just out of control! We had to do a lot of off-leash course work in that class and these dogs would just take off and run all over the place - every time they came near Bailey, I would pick him up. It really annoyed my trainer and she kept telling me not to do that, that she was positive these dogs were friendly. Yes, but they are 70-90 pound dogs and mine is 12 pounds...even if they are playing, they can hurt him.

Anyways, my point is, I ALWAYS tend to be extra cautious around bigger dogs...even if it's overly cautious and I end up looking like a fool to others!

CloudClan I'll Be There For You - "Emma"
Honorary Maltese - Bailey

Follow us on Facebook: The Adventures of Bailey & Emma

Last edited by Bailey&Me; 11-29-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Bailey&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement