1 week update on Zoe! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Marly
Dog's Name: Zoe
Default 1 week update on Zoe!

She turned 6 weeks yesterday :-)

So far things have been going great! Of course she sleeps most of the day, but when she is up she is very active and playful!

She finally knows her name, when I call her she looks at me, and sometimes will even come to me! She follows me everywhere, I love hearing the sound of her little paws

At the vet on Thursday she weighed 15 oz, and this morning when I weighed her on the kitchen scale, it said 18 oz, so she's growing! She's eating well, I transitioned her from blue buffalo mixed with puppy milk replacement, to just blue buffalo moistened with warm water.

Right now I'm starting to teach her not to bite hard. Since she doesn't have most of her teeth yet, it's hard to gauge what is too hard, but I'm working on it. Not even focusing on potty training, I just keep an eye on her and bring her over to the pee pads when she shows signs of needing to go. Any idea when I should start training? I don't want to wait til 12 weeks, would 8 weeks be okay?

Nights haven't been too bad, I have finals next week, so I don't sleep much anyway, but she wakes up 1-2 times a night.

All in all, things seem to be progressing along really well with her. I bring her to school with me and she hasn't left my side yet, except I'll have to leave her this afternoon for a 2 hour lab. I'm already dreading it.

I know I wouldn't have made it through the first week without this forum, so glad I found it!! A huge thanks to everyone!!
simplymars9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

So glad that things are going well with that tiny baby.it looks like you're taking great care of her. I would just keeping taking her to the pee pad and keeping an eye on her. Dewey was 100 percent pee pad trained when I got him at 12 weeks, so I'm sure that his breeder began early training on him. Good luck and keep posting pics of little Zoe.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Katya Brook
Dog's Name: Teddy

Sounds like she's doing great. What an awesome mommy you are to her! Zoe is a really lucky girl.

I don't have many recommendations on potty training a puppy (it's been a while since I've had one that young) but I'm sure many SM'ers will have loads of feedback!

Katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa Marie
Dog's Name: Louie & Molly

My Molly is 6 wks also! I have a pee pad in her her playpen and she uses it there so, I would start to train her. They are a very smart breed u will be very amazed how quick she picks it up! Molly was playing yesterday and walked over to her big brothers pee pad and did # 2 so she associates the pad with potty!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lmojeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie

I don't think it would hurt to start training her now. I would just say be extra extra extra patient. Glad to hear she is doing so well!!!

kaeco510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

It sounds like you are doing all the right things and are such a good mommy! If you keep doing what you're doing pottywise, she might catch on and that's all you'll need to do with that. Just stay consistent. I'm so glad she has you to take such good care of her!

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Sounds like you are doing great. Careful or we will have to vote you Mommy of the year ! I am so happy that you two found each other. We need more pics please!

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymars9 View Post
Not even focusing on potty training, I just keep an eye on her and bring her over to the pee pads when she shows signs of needing to go. Any idea when I should start training? I don't want to wait til 12 weeks, would 8 weeks be okay?
You are training her now

If it was her mother dog.... she wouldn't be like, "Zoe! Let's go POTTY! Yes! Potty!" in an excited baby voice (like we often do with new puppies).

Her mother would just take her (she'd walk there, Zoe would follow) to the place she should potty and she would have probably pottied there herself (not saying you should do this )...... But what I'm saying is - her mother would be showing her how to keep living areas separate from potty areas.

That is what you are doing!

Maybe give her gentle praise when she goes on the pad.

As she gets older (8 weeks is good) you can add a marker word and use that to praise and treat her.

But really... what potty training is - is what you are doing. You watch them like a hawk and then take them to their potty spot after x-amount of minutes or if you see signs they need to go.

So that part won't change But you are already doing it!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

You're already past this stage mostly, but here's a link on housetraining puppies from 3.5 weeks on from a breeder:

Puppies at 3 to 3 weeks - Time to start potty training

It gives you an idea of how the foundation is built for good housetraining habits, even though your pup is now 6 weeks.

In terms of training and socialization and generally bringing up a well adjusted puppy, this is my favourite puppy book (the one I wish I had when mine were puppies!):
The Puppy Primer: Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D., Brenda Scidmore: 9781891767135: Amazon.com: Books The Puppy Primer: Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D., Brenda Scidmore: 9781891767135: Amazon.com: Books
Aarianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Marly
Dog's Name: Zoe

Aarianne, I will definitely be getting that book, thanks for the links!

A big thanks to everyone for the kind words!

Yesterday I had to leave her alone for about an hour, so I put her crate in the xpen, and left it open in case she woke up and had to go. Came back and found that she pooped and peed on the pee pad all by herself!! I was so proud! She has definitely made the association that her play, eating and sleeping areas needs to be separate from where she goes.

I received a call from the vet this morning that her stool tested positive for Giardia. I can't imagine where she would have picked it up from. I only give her bottled water (since I'm not sure about how safe our tap is), and I'm super careful about not letting her near her poop after she's done.

She hasn't shown any symptoms at all, and from what I've read these parasites are quite tricky to kill off completely, and can still be present even if a stool sample tests negative.

The vet has meds for her, which I'll be picking up soon, hopefully everything works the first time around!

What about disinfecting her environment? We have carpet in our house and she has had a few accidents, which I clean immediately. Are there any other steps I need to take?
simplymars9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement