First Puppy Class (1Maltese, 2Pitbulls, 1OveractiveLab, 1Bigfoot) - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Puppy Class (1Maltese, 2Pitbulls, 1OveractiveLab, 1Bigfoot)

Just thought I would share Tinkerbell's first class with everyone. The girl who signed me up originally told me it was going to be 2 shihzui puppies and one other dog with Tinkerbell. You can image my surprise when I walked in and I was greeted by a very loud lab, 2pitbulls and 1bigfoot (not sure which breed the cute giant fluffy one was). I was almost ready to walk out, but Tinkerbell was in shock as soon as I walked in and I didn't want to leave her with a horrible experience by running out in fear after exposing her to it. I really wanted to leave on a positive note.

I felt better when I saw all puppies were on leashes, none of them appeared to be aggressive, and without me asking, the trainer said right away that Tinkberbell wouldn't be having playtime or off leash time with these guys. Tinkberbell was in my arms for the first 10mins and appeared very nervous. I was surprised when her behavior changed 100% as soon as treats were introduced. As soon as we started the name recognition training she ignored the other dogs and her tail perked right up. After a while, she became completely desensitized to other actions or noise the dogs were making. She was more interested in attempting to charm random customers into petting her or looking to me for a treat when I said her name (she caught on to that one fast). I was in shock because she usually hates to walk on leash in petstores. And now she was walking and running around with me like a pro.

I was such a proud mommy. I like to think she did the best, but that could just be the mommy in me XD

The trainer had a fenced off area for puppy play (she would only let two dogs in there at a time under supervision). We got the entire area to ourselves at the end, where Tinkerbell got showered with attention from the trainer and employees.

She was one exhausted, but super happy puppy at the end. Tinkerbell is already very social with the small dogs at our small dog park section, so I feel like letting her around big dogs in a controlled environment will benefit her in the future. Hopefully the rest of classes go this well.

I am definitely going next week, but will still keep a close eye on Tinkerbell. I have no problem leaving if I feel its not a good fit.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I'm so glad you and Tinkerbell ended up with a positive experience. That a girl, Timkerbell...even though you're smaller than the others, you show 'em you're not lacking in intelligence or cuteness!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
TLR
Maltese Guru

Name: Tracey
Dog's Name: Ben

I had the same experience with Ben but it took him till the last few classes to relax. Unfortunately, he still does not like big dogs and will run to me to be picked up.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

So happy the class went well. Sounds like she will be fine for the next one too!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

When I took Laurel, there was a German Shepherd, st. Bernard, a huge hound, some kind of Akita and a Collie! We kind of worked on training off to the side, and the trainer would work with Laurel one on one and then go back to the big dogs. I'm glad that everything went OK for Tinkerbell and it was a positive experience!!Laurel wasn't afraid of the big dog's, it was me!!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

Aww so glad you had a great expierence and glad all enjoyed it
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Seems like the trainer was right about it being common to not see many small dogs there. She doesn't get many requests for small dogs. She said a lot of small dog owners don't train because they think its easy to just pickup and remove the dog. Lol now I know why I read about so many of the maltese owners here training with the big boys

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free