Need advice - day care??? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

I think day care is a great idea. Sophie is starting to growl when she sees other dogs, and I think it's from her not being as socialized during her period of not being fully vaccinated. So after we get back from our visit were gonna sign up for obedience classes and do day care once a week for a couple hours to take care of that behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Obedience classes are good.... But to be honest, I'd spend the money all on daycare. If Grace could go - she would be going at least 3 times a week just to get her exercise and stimulation.

I'd be training at home and sending them to daycare.... many of these daycare places help reinforce basic obedience - sit, down, wait, stay....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeco510 View Post
I checked out my friend's recommendation tonight and I think that's where I am going to take Sadie. They were SO good to her! And they separate the big guys from the little ones, and even separate the shy/mellow ones to the front. They told me they would keep her out front until she felt more comfortable. The place was very very clean. I saw one of the employees cleaning up a pee in the back right after the dog walked away. I felt very at ease. They didn't want to give her back to me lol they just melted when they saw her (but who doesn't!?)

Plus her buddy Zorro goes there so she would have a playmate :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
That is great

When I got Grace I took her in to meet the daycare people... Gus already went. And they said they would keep her up front with some of their calmer tiny dogs until she got adjusted and was ready for the group of little ones.

And having them up front is an added bonus. My friend's dog was often up front - if there weren't many little dogs in the group that day - and so she got to socialize and greet all of the people coming in and out. She used to be people shy, but after a few weeks at daycare she was so well socialized with dogs and people!

I was so excited to send her.... Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie's Mom View Post
I think the advice that Tori has given is excellent. A couple of other things I checked before doing daycare for Lacie and Tilly:

1. Would they have only small dogs in their group?

2. Would they have a time and place to rest up?

3. Would they assure me that they would not give snacks (as I don't trust most treats/food)?

4. What about drinking water? I didn't want them drinking from a community bowl.

Tori covered everything else that I was concerned about.
These are great questions!

I will say the daycare I chose never fed the dogs in groups. If they were going to be fed - it had to be something provided by the owner and they separated the dogs and fed them in a little crate/kennel.

They separated them every 30 minutes for water breaks, and to clean the play rooms down.

They didn't even allow their staff to have food or water in the play rooms with the dogs. Since many dogs are dog safe but become food aggressive. So all staff had to eat in the staff offices, wash up, and then they could go back to the dogs.

Also knowing what the outside part looks like is important. The outside area for Gus's was completely concrete walled in - no gates leading out. So no one could get in and no dogs could run out. That was important to me.

The place was also really clean. So that was great to see.

I'm glad you found a day care! Sadie is going to blossom so much

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

Lots of really good info on this thread!!

I have Bravo in daycare three days a week, and we BOTH love it, LOL!!

I'm definitely in the camp that says to make sure the small toys are divided between the sizes. The place I take Bravo to keeps all dogs under 10 pounds in one group, an 11-30 in another.

But even that isn't a steadfast rule there as there is one small J.R. Terrier in there that is under 15 but plays only with the "bog boys" as he gets so rough! I'm glad they are observant and make appropriate choices about these things.

Also, like someone else pointed out, make sure they get quiet breaks...especially for puppies. Bravo plays for two hours, naps for one, rotates to a different play area (there are three), than naps again for one....and this repeats until he is picked up at the end of the day.

He also gets offered his food or his snack during his quiet/kennel time. They only feed what I provide, and only in his kennel.

I get cell phone updates as he moves throughout his day (like, "Hi, Mom! I'm going to play by the doggy pool! Watch me on the "doggy pool cam" or "Hi, Mom! I'm going in for a nap. Watch me on the kennel cam.").

To me, I wanted to be able to check in on him and see what he was doing. I wanted to see with my own eyes that he was happy and ok.

I also get a report card every day telling me about how he was during the day, and they notate anything out of the ordinary - including how much of his food he ate, his poops, etc.

One of the things I like best is how much socialization he gets with other dogs. I LOVE this!! I am not good at socializing my dogs...I'm always worried the other dog will bite my dog. So there he learns to socialize without me being nervous and transferring this to him.

I am very, very pleased with his care there. He is excited when we arrive....and he comes home as one tired puppy :-)

Good luck with daycare for your baby - I think you'll find a good one (like the one with the reference by your friend) and be super happy with the outcome!!

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement