Need Advice about Secret - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie, Tilly and Secret (Ch Angel's Top Secret of Khanthav)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom
Default Need Advice about Secret

I will be gone over the holidays for a total of 12 days. Currently I have been growing Secret's coat as I had thought of putting her in the parade of champions at Nationals this year. Her coat is about 1 1/2" from the floor.

While I'm gone, my neighbor (2 doors down) will petsit for me. She always does so if she's not going out of town herself. The girls know her very well as she comes over around lunch each day to give Secret her eye drops/meds and has sat with the girls for about 6 years. She has a small Bichon named Tommy that they like very much.

Anyway, I'm not at all worried about leaving them in her care, BUT, I am worried about Secret's coat. I know that she isn't a groomer and will not be able to keep Secret's coat while I'm away. I just remember reading about Obi's coat while Marisa was on her trip.

I always groom the fluffs myself and don't know any groomers in the area nor do I know if I would trust a groomer with Secret. I did call a friend that shows Lhasas to see if she could groom Secret at least once while I'm gone, but she, herself, has tons of company and won't have time. I didn't want to press her.

Now -- I'm not even certain that I will show Secret at Nationals and I might not even take her. Lacie may go with me instead. So now I'm not certain whether having her in coat is even important.

If it were you, would you clip her down to a town and country before the trip? If not, do you have other suggestions on keeping her coat while I'm gone?

HELP

Lacie, Secret & Tilly
Lacie's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I would. You know a lot better than me so my reasoning might not even be a valid concern but I fear tangled hair hurts Gustave because it pulls on his skin. If Gustave had hair that long I would definitely cut it short before I left.

Heck, I left for 2 days and came back to massive matting right below his ear because the husband didn't know to comb and brush him there.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

I'm probably clip her down.. If you send her to me,I'd groom her but you might not get her back....

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

I would clip her down so that you don't have to come home (or worry while you are gone about coming home) to a big mess. Secret can likely show at a later time, so I really would just focus on you right now, and what you need. Hugs.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Claire
Dog's Name: Ta-Jon's Blazin Hot Firecracker

Lynn....I wish you lived closer, I'd gladly take her and do the grooming. I have had 5 Maltese and always do my own grooming. I just don't wish to stress my babies out going to a groomer.

Aside from that impossibility, why can't you give he a town/country cut and still show her in the parade at the Specialty? I see no reason why she can't be there in her special cut. I'v been tempted to give Blaze that sme cut; I think it's very stylish and would help cut down the matting (he's very silky, but give him one day of playing and he can be a matted mess if not groomed.)

Hope you have a fantastic Paris trip.

Malt Shoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Lynn, I think cutting it would be best for you both. Beside the Town and Country cut is adorable.....my favorite. After one day of not brushing is enough to do some serious knotting.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

That is tough. If I remember correctly, Marisa did give Obi a shorter cut before her trip. I have a great pet sitter, but always come home to a tangled mess. She brushes the dogs, she just doesn't get all the way to the skin.

I gave MiMi a town and country cut in April and have been letting it grow out. It is almost to the floor, but it will be another six months until it is a perfect mantle to the floor. I just love that look so much. On the other hand, since her last bath her hair has been quite cottony and tangles like mad. It seems that by the time I finish combing out one section, the one I just did is tangled again. Sigh...

I'm a big help, huh?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Lynn - I would trim her down. You'll worry about her coat while you're away and she'll pay the price with having you try to get the knots and mats out when you're back. It's also a lot to put on someone who's graciously watching your fluffs. Hey i don't even have the patience at all with my own Tyler - that's why I love the T&C. At least if you cut her down in a town and country she'll have some length. I also don't see why she can't walk in the parade with that cut. I know she'll look adorable.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Orla
Dog's Name: Milo
Send a message via MSN to Orla

Unless you can teach your friend how to groom Secret to keep her tangle free, I would definitely cut her down.

Milo's Instagram
Orla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

I would do a T&C before you leave. If you came home to mats all the way to the skin you might have to shave her which would be worse. Even with the T&C, someone will have to brush her well. I brush and comb Bailey every night. If I don't, his legs get matted in one day.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement