How do you respond? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie
Default How do you respond?

So, it's begun. How long had you had your fluff before getting that "look" from people? I can only imagine this must be part of what it's like when some critiques your parenting skills. My favorite so far is "how can you ABUSE this sweet girl by putting her hair up?" "Are you gonna even let her enjoy her puppy stage? You always have a blow dryer and comb to her!" Which it's funny that the conversation turns that way, since it starts out "oh, she's so adorable! How do you keep her so clean and white?" How do you guys react to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

Oh tough one!!! I get the same but in Ireland people think its mostly rediculous to cloth a dog and put a bow in it. People look at me as if I'm one of those weirdos I laugh it off. Your one well i think I'd probably say well if her hair isn't tied back it pokes her eyes and hurts them like us having an eyelash in ours. Or just ignore them they obviously have little to be at!!
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

I have never cared what other people think about my dogs. If I get strange looks....it makes me laugh out loud!!! Love it!

I say, just live like the saying "Dance like no one is watching". Enjoy your life every minute...just the way it makes you the happiest. Life is way too short to worry about other people. .....and eventually others may even seem a bit envious that you can be so happy. "Non-Dog" people can be judgemental, but I truly feel sorry for them because they don't even realize the love they are missing.

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Yeah.... I'm a lot like Pat. I've learned over the years to just ignore nosy people. That is what they are... nosy. And I don't have time for that.

Nor do I care.

I get a lot of "She should be walking, not in a bag all time time!" with Grace because whenever we go out she has to be in her bag.

For awhile I tried explaining - the whole liver problem, can't be fully vaccinated, etc.

But now I just smile and say bye. Then we go on our way.

Not worth my energy.

You take wonderful care of Sophie. You know that Maltese have top knots... some choose not to, but most have them. It doesn't hurt her head LOL... Unless you pull them too tight of course!

So just smile and have Sophie wave bye bye and then be on your happy way

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Ashley, you are a crazy dog lady. Just own it and laugh about it! Then it won't really matter what other people say because you're already able to poke fun at yourself! If people are truly being mean, then just shrug it off, who cares because they will never "get" it. They just don't understand how nutty these little dogs make us (because really, from the outside looking in we ARE all a little nuts, right?).

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

Totally agree my friends think im a crazy dog lady and it used to get to me a bit but not now im a crazy dog lady and proud!! Let them think what they think!!! Only you know the real truth!! They have probably never had a love like we have for our babies and i agree i feel for them!!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Putting their hair up is abuse? I just don't know what to say. One thing I have learned since having dogs, EVERYONE is a dog expert. Someone who had one dog, forty years ago, as a child, is an expert and knows what is best for my boys. Sometimes you just ignore them completely, sometimes it's a polite nod and smile as you keep going.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
Ashley, you are a crazy dog lady. Just own it and laugh about it! Then it won't really matter what other people say because you're already able to poke fun at yourself! If people are truly being mean, then just shrug it off, who cares because they will never "get" it. They just don't understand how nutty these little dogs make us (because really, from the outside looking in we ARE all a little nuts, right?).
Yup!!! Just own it :-). I think many people don't know what it takes to properly care for a Maltese. I am a self-declared crazy dog lady and I don't care because my dog is happy . Same thing with all of us here!!!
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert

Just ignore em stoopid dimwits !!! Xx
Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deb
Dog's Name: Jops,Sammie,Frankie,LBB,Henry,Daisy,Lulu

I hear this on the forum quit a bit. But must say, I have NEVER, in my over 20-years of rescue, heard a word against the beautiful dresses, bows, etc. That seems weird to me. I have had nothing but love and support from all I come across.
All, in fact, loved the beautiful dresses, and my beautiful doggies.

I did however, have a gal turn me in to Animal Control for abuse. It was my original Daisy, who was terribly neglected. The accuser thought it was I who had been neglecting her. I appreciated Animal Control's quick response, along with the gal who turned me in.

I'm thinking some are a bit too sensitive with the "Is that a Malti-Poo?"

I had a room-mate who wouldn't walk my dogs if they had a dress on, but loved them with a harness on. I don't care about that, as long as the dogs are safe and walked. This guy just didn't want to be seen with fru-fru dogs. To be honest with you, the dogs didn't care either. Just wanted to walk and visit.

I've been through hundreds of dogs, with very few comments. I then use those comments to educate. IE: Bows keep the hair out of the eyes, dress is quicker, and less stress for this particular dog (to put on), with less stress around the neck. Oh, and most love the attention they get wearing the latest fall fashions ~

I've never looked at anyone as though they are "stupid dimwits"

At times, just ignorant towards my goals, as I'm sure I am with theirs.

Last edited by 3Maltmom; 12-13-2012 at 04:56 PM.
3Maltmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement