Gustave got bit :( - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Default Gustave got bit :(

When things have to go wrong, they just do. I was SO diligent about picking a daycare for him. And this place had great reviews online, I had people I know recommend it to me, I checked it out so many times and still something goes wrong.

We dropped off Gustave at the daycare today and got a call from them within an hour. A dog was drinking water out of a bowl and when Gustave tried to drink out of the same bowl that other dog bit him above his eye. They called me from the vet's office and I got there ASAP.

It looked worse than it actually was. I guess all that white hair makes the blood look more dramatic. He didn't get any stitches. They put some surgical glue on it and gave us antibiotics. They said he should heal in a week. I am more concerned about him fearing dogs now.

The daycare people looked like they didn't know what hit them. They said that other dog had never shown any aggression and it happened really quick. They said he was never coming back. Well, I told them Gustave wasn't either. They returned us all the money we have paid them till now and also paid the vet bills.

As for poor Gustave, he is acting normal. I did find out he eats pills like a champ. I don't know if I can bear to send him to any daycare now but I do think he needs positive dog social experiences STAT! I am thinking of calling all my dog owner friends and arranging play dates. At the vet there were other dogs and Gustave acted completely normal. Is it possible this experience possibly didn't mess him up forever?

My husband says he's like me. Always calm and indifferent,like he doesn't care. I told him it's not a compliment.

They had to shave Gustave to see how deep the wound was. Not a lot but you can see a bit of his eyelid. My first reaction was, "Wow, that's black!" I am not too concerned about it, hair grows back. I am very proud of my little baby for going through all this and still being 'normal'. Sometimes **** happens and what we do with it is upto us. I am glad he's OK and nothing worse happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa Marie
Dog's Name: Louie & Molly

I'm sorry he had such a traumatic experience! But glad he is ok! He is a trooper.

Lmojeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Gustave got bit :(-imageuploadedbypg-free1355631451.225775.jpg

Here he is. See all that dark eyelid area? That's where they shaved him. He still has some bloody hair stuck in his topknot but I'm gonna let that be for tonight because I don't want to disturb that area too much.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Karen
Dog's Name: Bella and Jasmine (and Heidi at the Bridge)

Your poor baby. I wouldn't go back to that daycare either. I'm happy that he is going to be okay.

"In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog"
maltese#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmojeda View Post
I'm sorry he had such a traumatic experience! But glad he is ok! He is a trooper.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

So sorry to hear that happened. Like you said it could have been worse. I am sure Gustave being the champ he is will have this all behind him but I would socialize him like you mentioned with your friends fluffs. Happy all is well in the end.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

What?!?! Oh my geez poor Gustave- I know you must be so disappointed . That daycare sounded wonderful on paper and I'm very glad they covered his vet bills. Sometimes, dogs can have food (and water) and toy aggression that doesn't really show in a normal evaluation. That other dog may not have been socialized well regarding those things. The important part is that Gustave is acting normally and that the injury wasn't too serious! It's so scary! He has such GREAT pigment, btw I think it's important for dogs to be socialized to not be possessive over their food and toys. Gustave is such a trooper and I think with some positive experiences, he will overcome what happened today!
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Oh sweet Gustave..... I hope you heal fast buddy!

I think you are going to be more traumatized than Gustave will....

I know it's your choice.... but you are right - you don't want him to become fearful.

When you have dogs in groups there are always risks of incidents. It happens.... Just like in daycare with kiddos - I worked in the 1's room for a few years -- kids were always biting each other. We did everything we could to prevent it... but it happened quite often.

Now, I doubt biting happens often in the daycare....and it sounds like they took swift and proper action.

So ....maybe you could take him back?

Perhaps they would be willing to pick up water bowls while the dogs are in the play areas and separate them for drinks.

I know I would freak out if Gus ever got bit in daycare..... at the same time, I asked them during our interview how they handled dog fights, bites, etc - because...they are dogs.

Gustave had so much fun there and .... one incident may not be a reason to just run. I'm sure they had meetings today and will have more through the week so that they can make sure this doesn't repeat.

Not making excuses... Just... something to think about.

Big hugs and lots of love for Gustave.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Beatriz
Dog's Name: Dominic, Benjamin (Bellarata's Bark Knight Rises by Design) & Elena (Ch Bellarata's Prophecy Girl)

I'm so sorry to hear that. Actually I was just showing my husband Gustave instagram as "Dominic" has add him as a friend. I wish and hope he gets better soon and also hope he doesn't get traumatized by this.
Much love from us.

Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper&Dusty; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

Sorry to hear about what happened to the little man. I am glad they took swift action and responsibilty for what happened though. He's gonna be just fine, you one the other hand might need some time for getting over it!!! Take a deep breath Mama.