Help choosing second maltese for my Ein... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Candice
Dog's Name: Einstein, aka Ein and Ami
Default Help choosing second maltese for my Ein...

okay,,.... so Ein is about 16 weeks old now. he has been extremely doing well on his potty training, and sleeping all on his own. I have been thinking about.. wait, not thinking about, I *am* actually getting a second maltese, but the question is when would be a good time to bring home possibly another *puppy*, or, perhaps, a young adult(~6 months old)

I have sooo many questions... I have a boy now. He is very laid back, loves to follow me around everywhere. He is going to be neutered in a month or two..

1) would it be better to bring home a boy or girl for second maltese?
2) would a young puppy(~12wks old) be better? how about 6 months old young adult? Given that I will have to re-train the second maltese for potty, would it save me a lot of headache to get an older puppy?
3) I did put down a reservation fee for the puppy. Thankfully, the breeder I am working with, is very flexible, and understanding... and will let me wait until I find the perfect match. I just need to be certain on what I am looking for....
I feel like I sort of already know the answer, but am curious to see what others have had a different experiences in similar situation... I appreciate any input that you can give me. Thank you very much in advance for your time
Curious_Ein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Hi Candice,

I think getting a 2nd fluff is great

I'd wait until after Einstein's neuter, though. Young puppies and even new to the family older puppies can be so full of energy.... I'd suggest waiting so Einstein can heal up well

1. I don't think the sex matters. I think what matters is finding the right temperament match for Einstein. When you look at puppies - ask about the whole litter. You'd want to avoid the alpha puppies.... go for the more laid back ones (they do exist )

2. I think either way a young puppy or an older puppy is going to be the same. They both have to be potty trained, etc. If you get an older puppy from a rescue or breeder, typically they have been working on potty training, basic training, and socialization so that could be a bonus. An older puppy also will be easier to gauge temperament. So I don't think age matters either.... I think it's more the puppy itself that has to be considered.

3. I'm glad you found a good breeder who is willing to let you wait to find the right puppy Since you found someone you trust... I'd really spend time talking with her about Einstein and what kind of puppy you are looking for. Good breeders really do want to help find the perfect home for their babies...this means helping match the right puppy to the right family.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Candice
Dog's Name: Einstein, aka Ein and Ami

OOoo
Thank you Tori!! I really need some positive affirmation on getting 2nd puppy... I haven't told my DH yet(uh oh), but once puppy is here, I am sure he will be in love with him/her as much as I am LOL
since I am technically *sneaking around* my DH for this, I feel like I am committing a crime- my gosh!!

ok ok, back to puppy...... since I am not in a hurry to add the puppy, I can definitely wait around to come across a perfect one with good temperament- and also wait on Einstein to get neutered, and get little older, and give him more time with me one on one to bond, since once 2nd one shows up, I will have to spend little more time with the puppy.

I don't know if I am asking too much of breeder to hold the puppy longer than expected, say until puppy is 6months old, instead of typical 12 weeks, which is at about 3 months. Because she will probably want to place out puppies soon to make room, instead of holding on to them too long right?
even if she had agreed to hold onto puppy longer than 12weeks, would this be better for the puppy? I can't possibly ask her to give my puppy extra attention to ensure proper socialization...... or, would this request be within the reach?

.... probably not, right?

all this troubling questions, because I already put down the $ to have the right to hold the puppy, instead of waiting until Einstein was already older. *sigh*
Or if I do get a young puppy at 12wks, that is showing up at around Feb 2013, or May of 2013. This will make Ein 7 to 8 months of age. Would he have been bonded enough with me then???

Curious_Ein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Some breeders hold on to their Maltese puppies until 16 weeks. But a few I think often hold until about 5 months (20 weeks).... So you'd have to ask the breeder, but I don't think it's unheard of.

Going from one dog to two is an adjustment. I still have days when I'm like.... Sheesh! The two of you! .... But I love them to bits and would never not have one or the other. They definitely belong together.... Just know that it is an adjustment period - having to do 2 of everything.....

But I love that Gus is not alone and he really loves Gracie....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

I would wait until Einstein is a year old. He should be fully trained the way you want before adding another dog. He won't be considered fully potty trained until he is at least 9 months old and you will want to work on training such as leash walking, sit, stay, a good recall, etc. A lot of older puppies (6-9mo range) seem to go through a teenager stage where they are a little rebellious and take a little extra attention which is why I recommend waiting until Einstein is older.

A breeder probably won't let you pick out a puppy and agree to hold it for you until it is 6 months old. And, really, you shouldnt want that because that is precious time that you could be training and bonding with your new puppy. Hopefully you are going through a reputable show breeder. I think you should just wait to pay any deposit until you know which puppy specifically you want and when you are ready to get another one.

The sex doesn't matter but Einstein should be neutered before you get another dog, especially if you get a female. I prefer males myself but everyone is different.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

For a puppy placed as a pet, honestly, it is asking a lot of a breeder to expect them to hold onto the puppy that you 'may' get for longer than a few extra weeks, especially if they are 12 weeks now.

Since you are sneaking around (definitely something I would do, LOL!) you'll want to make extra sure that you are getting a puppy that wont' upset the household, so I personally would take my time and find a pup with the right temperament. I would also wait until potty habits are solid before adding another.

It is pretty much impossible to correctly assess temperaments in a puppy before 8 weeks and even then, it can change. So don't commit to a puppy that young, even if you've put down a deposit.

Good luck!!!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

I think a second pup is wonderful but I honestly think you should wait until Einstein is closer to a year old. He may be still in that honeymoon puppy phase where things are going easily and the pups are nothing but sweet -- the teenage years can be more challenging when it comes to obedience and training because they become more independent thinkers. I like to make sure that training is solid before adding another puppy or dog of any age. i am saying this not to discourage you from adding a second pup, but rather to encourage you to do what is best for Ein and the future dog :-).

I don't think gender matters too much as long as the personality is compatible. One thing I consider too is to make sure this second dog is for YOU and not for Ein. There is no guarantee that they will get along-- some dogs just co-exist and would prefer to be in a one dog household. There are just as many multi-dog households where the dogs aren't best friends.

I think that you have the time to wait for the right pup at the right time. The breeder can always hold your deposit until then. I doubt that they will hold a dog for 6 months though for you.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement