My 1st maltese!! and I am thrilled! - Page 5 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #41 (permalink)

I think teething is the culprit! she is just 4 days past being 4 months old and I noticed she has slowed down eating she acts like she has to make effort to chew so I looked inside her mouth and sure enough her teeth! I also introduced her to the LEASH and well lets say she was not thrilled but it is a MUST she is really starting to venture around the yard and anything that moves will is playtime and she would love to chase it! lolo
After such a bad day yesterday she done the sweetest thing got on the back of my couch and laid her head on my shoulder just made everything all better
I am wondering about dog food anyone use Royal canine or diamond or loyal??
Folkerts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvysMom View Post
Hiya Folkerts2 (What's your first name? Mine is Ann!) My Ivy is now 5-1/2 months old and was born July 14th. At her vet well-baby check-up on Nov. 28th (19 weeks old) she still had all her puppy teeth and hadn't started teething at all. The following week at 20 weeks old, she looked like an old cow and had NO front teeth top or bottom, except for her canines. She now has a mouthful of pretty new teeth.

According to a website I looked up, " ...at age of 4 to 5 months, puppies will begin shedding their baby teeth and by the age of 7 months all permanent incisors, canines, premolars and molars should be in".

Looks like Ivy was right on schedule. How old is your Lucy again now? I saw no difference in Ivy's behavior except for a decrease in appetite. I was really starting to get concerned because she had so little interest in food but she was otherwise her usual self. Her appetite seems to be a bit better now that more teeth are back in her head.
Hi Ann I am Melissa
Lucy was born Aug 31st. and she is so funny to watch and just to be around, she a JOY except for the potty issues and the bark bark barking, lolo however we will muddle through that I really think she is teething I have chew sticks and she is making big use of them last night and now this morning and I noticed she had slowed on eating
She loves the back of my couch I have a huge 1929 home with LOTS of big windows and she likes the sun!
I am new to this maltese world have had pets in the past but this little girl is full of happiness pure happiness its odd how full of vim and vigor this little feisty pup has!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #43 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Vanilla

OMG I just saw the pic you posted and my heart just melted She looks like an adorable stuffed toy !
poochie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #44 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I don't think you should feel put off when people ask where did your dog come from. It's just kind of what we do here. It's like asking a new neighbor where they lived before they were your neighbor. I think you will find a mix of people here with dogs from top breeders, rescue, and not so reputable breeders. And this is where you will become educated and more of an advocate for this wonderful breed. Many of us (including me) came here with a new puppy. Mine was from a BYB. I knew about puppymills and pet shops. I thought I did well finding someone that had a small number of dogs and they were all well treated. What I didn't understand was that breeder had no idea of what she was doing, and unfortunately was breeding dogs that were not to standard. My Lola was the love of my life, and didn't live 5 years. And I don't even want to tell you what I spent at the vet to try to keep her healthy. It just wasn't meant to be. I have since become more aware, and now have two dogs from a wonderful breeder that breeds to standard, and for temperment as well as appearance. My dogs are healthy and are exactly what every Maltese should be. But I will always love my Lola. We all are here to learn, and grow.

Please Donate to GME Research
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #45 (permalink)

after reading the nice comments and the enjoyment of them , I am Bam! hit with yet another gloom and doom tell tale story of the so called "BYB" Is there no happy reports of a puppy being gotten from a BYB if so PLEASE share!??? I keep waiting for the bad to happen to my little Lucy!
I raised horses and I understand what good lineage is and what to do and what not to do when it comes to a mare being thought to breed all about confirmation and genes and even colors and disposition as well as much more however I no longer am able to ride or mess with my beloved horses and sold our farm and moved to a Historical old town.
why was this important to say because I am aware of the growing issue with ill bred dogs and I am aware of the growing concern of Puppy Mills Millers BYB but for Petes Sake must we continue the gloom and doom and sad stories of these puppies I mean It is like you all but say "IF it came from a BYB or anyone less than a reputable breeder he/she is doomed and a reject and less there of and not going to make it". so sad.
I am a memebr of the ASPCA and I give plenty to rescues for horses and signed the petition for the closure of the "slaughter houses" but heavens I would like to be a part of something good and not be reminded of what may be to come.
I am sorry I bought a puppy from whom I did, but I will not pay 1500 and up for a pet when there are so many in need for half that fraction.
Learn allot??? yes what I have learned these past few days being on here is NUMBER 1 you all are agaisnt BYB and I get it. Number 2 I learned gloom and doom is ahead for my Lucy because she is a product of a BYB! Number 3 if not bought from certain breeders its a major NO NO! Last but not least Keeping up with the Jones"s is not for me, I am a simple women with simple values and I gave a heart and a wonderful home to a yes a BACK YARD BREEDER MALTESE for $250.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and guess what I am not ashamed shes mine not yours and I am sure most are saying "thanks heavens for that"!
I have enjoyed the NICE welcomes and great info and the pics but your Constant reminding of the BYB is well drove into the ground and you know who you are so please cease. many thanks to those who were kind and if I sound a bit peeved well i am, take a moment to re read the post I sent not one has commented about the food to feed or the shampoo to use its a horror story of a BYB or I didnt mean to offend but you need to know and be aware of the BYB . my posts will be limited.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #46 (permalink)

Name: Judy
Dog's Name: Tater tot

I am a resent owner of a male maltese named Tater Tot...he is not a rescue but a rehomed maltese that I adopted...I have found that the Blue Buffalo dog food works well with his sensitive stomach...as far as shampoo, I took the suggestions here and ordered Tropiclean SPA Colors Pet Shampoo for White Coats, SPA Nourish Conditioner & Tropiclean SPA Pet Facial Scrub (Amazon). It's amazing how these little dogs take over our lives and are so much company to us! Good luck with your adorable little girl, she is beautiful! Judy
hempsteadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkerts2 View Post
I think teething is the culprit! she is just 4 days past being 4 months old and I noticed she has slowed down eating she acts like she has to make effort to chew so I looked inside her mouth and sure enough her teeth! I also introduced her to the LEASH and well lets say she was not thrilled but it is a MUST she is really starting to venture around the yard and anything that moves will is playtime and she would love to chase it! lolo
After such a bad day yesterday she done the sweetest thing got on the back of my couch and laid her head on my shoulder just made everything all better
I am wondering about dog food anyone use Royal canine or diamond or loyal??
yeps! Teething can be such a pain-- makes the puppies turn into chewing machine and also cause excessive tearing too. Make sure to wipe daily around the eye area to help prevent tear staining. Chew toys are amazing during this time. I love it when dogs "perch" on the shoulder like a parrot! In terms of food choices, I don't think Royal Canin or Diamond food is necessarily bad, but there have been recent dog food recalls with those companies. I personally believe there are much better choices out there. Many of us feed Fromm Four star Nutritionals (as a dry kibble option)- it's well-priced and high quality- all made in the USA! I like that the Fromm kibble bites are small enough for a maltese mouth. When choosing a food, pick one that has a moderate protein level and one that is either all-life stages or puppy stage for her at this age. Hope this helps!
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
after reading the nice comments and the enjoyment of them , I am Bam! hit with yet another gloom and doom tell tale story of the so called "BYB" Is there no happy reports of a puppy being gotten from a BYB if so PLEASE share!??? I keep waiting for the bad to happen to my little Lucy!
I raised horses and I understand what good lineage is and what to do and what not to do when it comes to a mare being thought to breed all about confirmation and genes and even colors and disposition as well as much more however I no longer am able to ride or mess with my beloved horses and sold our farm and moved to a Historical old town.
why was this important to say because I am aware of the growing issue with ill bred dogs and I am aware of the growing concern of Puppy Mills Millers BYB but for Petes Sake must we continue the gloom and doom and sad stories of these puppies I mean It is like you all but say "IF it came from a BYB or anyone less than a reputable breeder he/she is doomed and a reject and less there of and not going to make it". so sad.
I am a memebr of the ASPCA and I give plenty to rescues for horses and signed the petition for the closure of the "slaughter houses" but heavens I would like to be a part of something good and not be reminded of what may be to come.
I am sorry I bought a puppy from whom I did, but I will not pay 1500 and up for a pet when there are so many in need for half that fraction.
Learn allot??? yes what I have learned these past few days being on here is NUMBER 1 you all are agaisnt BYB and I get it. Number 2 I learned gloom and doom is ahead for my Lucy because she is a product of a BYB! Number 3 if not bought from certain breeders its a major NO NO! Last but not least Keeping up with the Jones"s is not for me, I am a simple women with simple values and I gave a heart and a wonderful home to a yes a BACK YARD BREEDER MALTESE for $250.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and guess what I am not ashamed shes mine not yours and I am sure most are saying "thanks heavens for that"!
I have enjoyed the NICE welcomes and great info and the pics but your Constant reminding of the BYB is well drove into the ground and you know who you are so please cease. many thanks to those who were kind and if I sound a bit peeved well i am, take a moment to re read the post I sent not one has commented about the food to feed or the shampoo to use its a horror story of a BYB or I didnt mean to offend but you need to know and be aware of the BYB . my posts will be limited.
Well, I guess I'm sorry my story made you think of gloom and doom. Certainly wasn't my intention. As I said in my post, there are lots of people here with rescues (probably puppy mill and BYB products)and dogs from all different places and breeders. I''m not sure why you are so defensive about this. I was trying to convey that by asking where your dog came from wasn't necessarily a bad thing. And I certaily hope that you don't equate buying from a reputable breeder as "keeping up with the Joneses" because that isn't the case either. I did read your opening post, but you seemed so upset by the "where did your puppy come from" comment that I decided to address that to help you understand the viewpoint. It wasn't an attack!

Lola's GME Research Fund
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #49 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish, Charm & Cricket
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Quote:

Seriously, no one here is trying to attack you or your beloved dog. The wonderful and loving people of this forum do passionately support ethical breeders and try to help educate people so that they will not buy dogs from Mills or BYBs, mostly because they do not want to have others experience the heartache they have experienced or witnessed and most importantly because we LOVE Maltese and we want all Maltese to be raised in the best possible situations and we do not want to support the GREED that leaves many Maltese studs and dams in terrible conditions on breeding farms while someone happily chooses a cute puppy from a website with a BUY Now button or a Petstore window.

I think you need to take a step back and realize it isn't about you when people post the warnings about Petstore/Mill/BYB puppies. It is about educating others so that folks do not continue to make the same mistake and think they got a good deal when they pay $250 for a dog.

You are right. You may never pay the price of "gloom and doom" that some of our fellow members have suffered through. I sincerely hope for the sake of your dog and yourself that you do not, but I think it is disrepectful to our loving members who have to bash them for sharing the very heartbreaking stories they have shared here in the hope of saving others from experiencing what they have gone through.

This forum is not the way you are painting it as some snobby place where everyone wants to keep up with the "joneses." Some of our favorite dogs on this forum have the most humble beginnings. We support RESCUE and Ethical breeders. We support loving owners and their dogs no matter where those dogs come from. What we do not support is BYB, Mills, Petstores or other unethical folks who do not treat our Maltese the way they should be treated and we do tend to argue with those who would defend any of those who might mistreat or misuse our beloved breed. And frankly, most of us feel that paying $1500 for a well bred Maltese is a fair price, given that you are paying to support the breeders who use the money to make sure the sires and dams are given the kind of appropriate care (including food, medicine and health checks) they deserve.

As for your desire to learn more about shampoo or food, there are tons of threads in the archives with loads of opinions on these. You can also create a new thread which specifically asks about those items since this thread has been more focused on your introduction as it is what your title reflects.

I do use spa lavish facial cleanser and sometimes natures specialties foaming facial cleanser. But my favorite way to keep faces clean is to just use some human eye wash (easily found in the eye care section of your local pharmacy, but not the contact lens cleaning solution). I use that dry the face and put some cornstarch on with a makeup brush (or toothbrush) to keep the area dry.

CloudClan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #50 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudClan View Post
Seriously, no one here is trying to attack you or your beloved dog. The wonderful and loving people of this forum do passionately support ethical breeders and try to help educate people so that they will not buy dogs from Mills or BYBs, mostly because they do not want to have others experience the heartache they have experienced or witnessed and most importantly because we LOVE Maltese and we want all Maltese to be raised in the best possible situations and we do not want to support the GREED that leaves many Maltese studs and dams in terrible conditions on breeding farms while someone happily chooses a cute puppy from a website with a BUY Now button or a Petstore window.

I think you need to take a step back and realize it isn't about you when people post the warnings about Petstore/Mill/BYB puppies. It is about educating others so that folks do not continue to make the same mistake and think they got a good deal when they pay $250 for a dog.

You are right. You may never pay the price of "gloom and doom" that some of our fellow members have suffered through. I sincerely hope for the sake of your dog and yourself that you do not, but I think it is disrepectful to our loving members who have to bash them for sharing the very heartbreaking stories they have shared here in the hope of saving others from experiencing what they have gone through.

This forum is not the way you are painting it as some snobby place where everyone wants to keep up with the "joneses." Some of our favorite dogs on this forum have the most humble beginnings. We support RESCUE and Ethical breeders. We support loving owners and their dogs no matter where those dogs come from. What we do not support is BYB, Mills, Petstores or other unethical folks who do not treat our Maltese the way they should be treated and we do tend to argue with those who would defend any of those who might mistreat or misuse our beloved breed. And frankly, most of us feel that paying $1500 for a well bred Maltese is a fair price, given that you are paying to support the breeders who use the money to make sure the sires and dams are given the kind of appropriate care (including food, medicine and health checks) they deserve.

As for your desire to learn more about shampoo or food, there are tons of threads in the archives with loads of opinions on these. You can also create a new thread which specifically asks about those items since this thread has been more focused on your introduction as it is what your title reflects.

I do use spa lavish facial cleanser and sometimes natures specialties foaming facial cleanser. But my favorite way to keep faces clean is to just use some human eye wash (easily found in the eye care section of your local pharmacy, but not the contact lens cleaning solution). I use that dry the face and put some cornstarch on with a makeup brush (or toothbrush) to keep the area dry.
Thanks Carina....well stated.

Lola's GME Research Fund
Sponsored Links
Advertisement